New hunting stuff

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
I'm pretty much a wannabe when it comes to hunting.

I've been deer hunting a total of 4 times in the last 14 years. I've never put one in the freezer.

In 2013, the last time I went, I drew out for Utah's muzzleloader season. A co-worker who is a die-hard hunter (he has a 208" Muley on his wall) took me out.

I got closer than I ever have before. I got a shot off on a small buck, but misjudged the distance and hit him low. There was a little blood and then nothing.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about drawing again this year, and I got something to help me so I won't miss as easily.

7866120c2c30c1aec80c7487acfe1f07.jpg

Someday I'm gonna score one.

That should help!

It can be surprisingly tough to tag that first deer or two. After that it seems to start getting easier.

I'm sure a bunch of us have advice for newer hunters. Mine is:

1. Relax and enjoy the hunt. Taking game will happen.

2. Hunt where the opportunities are STRONG. Hunt where there are a lot of legal deer. Don't be ashamed to take even a small buck, or a doe, if that's legal. Backstraps are more important to me than antlers... Well, sort of... :mrgreen: If you're hunting a tough area, where there's a lot of competition for a limited number of animals, you're bucking the odds. Eventually you'll score, but it might take time, and more time. Consider paying for access to private land. Often the animals on private land are less pressured, and there's a lot fewer competing hunters afield.

3. Consider some other kinds of hunting - small game, varmints, predators, ducks, geese, pheasants... Something that will likely get you some sort of results. Makes ya feel better as a hunter, even if that mulie buck hasn't fallen. Whack a coyote, save a deer, or twelve.

So, there ya go. I've been "skunked" before and I really dislike it when it happens more than one year at a time... Sometimes I've been several years without tagging game, because, well because it's hunting, not killing. It's never a sure thing.

Rangefinder is a good piece of gear. Use it well, and best of luck this season.

Guy

I hope you get one!

Best and only advice I have is this- the most important ingredient to success is time in the field, there's just no substitute.

I would suggest more time in the woods hunting small game with a .22LR. It's not about gear it's time learning how to drift like smoke in the woods. Good Hunting

What helped me t was to estimate the range then confirm the distance with the rangefinder.
Keith

Back