New Member and New To Reloading

Stevesdl

Beginner
Feb 15, 2010
Hi All

I am Steve in Colorado Springs, CO.
I am going to pursue reloading for both economy and tailored ammunition for my new rifle (I want to get real good with my new 338). I have already been given an excellent suggestion for first purchase reloading kit that fits my budget. (RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit).

I do believe I am seeing this exact kit at Natchez - http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... rc=tpSlrHm

I would appreciate any helpful information that anyone may want to share to get me successfully started quickly. Here is some possible information that might assist in what my benefit me. Thanks ahead of time all! :)

1. New Weatherby Vanguard 338 Winchester Magnum 24" barrel
2. Nikon Monarch 3-9x40mm BDC
3. Muscle Muzzle Brake (at gunsmith shop right now for this installation)
4. Currently shooting (and rifle likes) Federal 338 Win Mag 225 Nosler AccuBond and have 80 one time used brass cases
5. Rifle is currently shooting consistent 1 1/8 3 shot groups at 100 yds
5. Use - Hunting Elk, Mule Deer and Bear for possible range of 30yds to 450yds
6. Will shoot at least 600+ before this fall hunting season
7. I am very minimal recoil senstive (338 win mag is not a big kicker to me with factory ammo)

8. Also would like to reload Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum with 7.5 barrel but not for hunting per se (backup protection in the woods and plinking)
9. Will probably shoot less than 500 per year

Thanks ahead of time
Sincerely
Steve

Stevesdl,

Welcome to the forum. You will receive help from a variety of knowledgeable fellows on this site.

It looks as if you are off to a good start with the Rock Chucker Master Kit. It really has all that you need, save dies and a shell holder. As you become comfortable with that equipment, you will undoubtedly want to add to your equipment. At the moment, I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to buy more "stuff," but I would invest in a reloading guide geared to the bullets and/or powders you intend to use. If you intend to use Nosler bullets (a very wise choice), the purchase of the current Nosler Reloading Guide No. 6 will stand you in good stead. The Speer Reloading Manual No. 14 should be included with your kit. Each of the manuals published have strong points that complement other information available through manuals and/or web sites. Powder manufacturers have their own sites, and they can be really beneficial. Hodgdon includes data for Hodgdon powders, IMR powders and Winchester powders. Alliant has reloading data, but they confine their load recipes to Speer bullets. Likewise, Ramshot has a very good site with reloading data available. I would encourage you to stick to the recipes published until you are comfortable with recognising the signs of pressure. You are in for some delightful times working up loads for your rifle.

Excellent information already - I am going to include the purchase of a Nosler Reloading Guide No. 6 with the RCBC purchase. Thanks

I have done a tiny bit of research on dies for the 338 Win Mag. I found a site\manufacturer that states the following:

"The main problem with handloading the 338 Winchester Magnum is case expansion that occurs at the pressure ring "just above" the belt. Conventional resizing dies can't properly resize any belted magnum case in this area. These cases soon develop a slight "bulge" around the case (usually after just 2 or 3 firings)."

The manufacturer states their proprietary "Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die will increase the life of your cases and insure a perfect fit in your chamber.

Anyone with a comment on this discernment or personal experience with 338 Win Mag dies and suggestion thereof would be much appreciated. FYI - Their die is approximately $90.00?

Thanks again
Steve

Yup lots of 338wm gurus on this site!!!

most belted magnums are victims of that buldge..... I shoot 300WM and 338WM and I mic for the buldge and disgard cases when it arrives.
I usually get 4 or 5 firings from my 300 before I chuck them.
havent shot my 338 enough to see a buldge yet.
I feel that the cost of brass is low enough to not worry about buying some new every couple of years...... just depends on how much you shoot i guess :grin:

the 338 can use a wide variety of powders, I like IMR4350 with a 180g AB.
If you like to get kicked, try a 225 or 250 :lol:
buy some WW296 (or H110, same stuff different can) for your 44.

welcome aboard! and enjoy!

"The main problem with handloading the 338 Winchester Magnum is case expansion that occurs at the pressure ring "just above" the belt. Conventional resizing dies can't properly resize any belted magnum case in this area. These cases soon develop a slight "bulge" around the case (usually after just 2 or 3 firings)."

Great way to sell dies. However, I haven't observed a significant problem with belted cases. If you are not shooting excessively hot loads, and if there is no excessive stretch requiring repeated trimming of the case, I am hard pressed to believe that any of the standard dies (RCBS, Redding, Forster, Lyman, Lee, etc.) will not serve you quite well.

By design, belted cases head space off the belt. However, if you partial full-length size, you can head space off the shoulder. There is not a thing wrong with the Innovative Technologies Collet Die, but it isn't clear that there is a significant advantage over the other dies.

Welcome to the forum . Glad to see you here.

With the kit you chose you are definitely on your way. If I read the description correctly I did not see a set of calipers in the kit and you will need it. Also start searching for reloading data on this site and others and get as much saved as possible. There will come a time when you will have to try a bullet or a powder not listed in the Speer manual.
If you need any specific help just ask here. Good luck.

I have loaded for a variety of belted mags for over 25 years and have not had need of the die you mentioned. I have been on his site and feel that it is a quality item but decided to spend my money elsewhere. You have been given good advice so far, I will add that you need to check Shooters ProShop on the Nosler site. Check for bullets in the caliber and weight you need. I just received some 44s from them. Their seconds or blems work the same as their normal bullets.Rick.

That is a great kit to start with, and second Pop's and Mike suggestion of a good set of calipers and a Nosler #6. After that, you should be fine with regular old RCBS full length sizing dies. Mine have produced great ammo for my 338 Win Mag. You are spot on with starting out with the Accubonds in 225-250gr size. You should be able to push the 225's up to 2800+ and the 250's at 2700+. Either one would be fantastic for deer-elk-bear! Good luck, these fellers have a ton of knowledge, pick yourself up a pound of RL19 and CCI250's and you will be set to start churning out some good loads. Scotty

Stevesdl,

Welcome aboard, glad to see you here. I trust you will find this forum to be everything I told you it was. There is a wealth of knowledge here so feel free to ask us and we will do our best to get you set up and loading in no time.

The 225 gr AB is a great bullet for your needs. Here is what my test results revealed with this bullet out of my 338 RUM.
338RUM225grAB1.jpg

338RUM225grAB2.jpg

As for the 44 Mag, I have had real good luck loading the Nosler 240 gr JHP with 23.5 grs H110, W-W case and CCI 350 primer. I also use the 250 gr PT with 21.0 grs H110 for hunting WT deer.
Here is last years hunt with the 44 Mag-
http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11836

JD338

I've read/saw that website about their special sizing die as well. I can't say if it works or not as I use the RCBS X F/L sizing die for all of my rifles. These work great for me; I F/L size them, trim them, reset the die per the instructions for the new brass length and pretty much don't worry about trimming them again after that.

Forgot to mention, my Browning decided it liked 73gn of RL-19. This rifle also has the BOSS on it so I can basically tune it for a particular load.

Today is my day to place my reloading equipment order and thanks to all I really do feel I am on a good start! :)

I will have a few more questions to seek answers before place the order though.

In regards to the 338 Win Mag dies and 44 Mag dies.
1. It sounds like the RCBS brand is ample quality to go with the RCBS kit. I noticed one post stated "RCBS X F/L sizing die" and another stated "regular old RCBS full length sizing dies". I see that one can get the resizer die separately or in a set. (X-Full Length Die Sets consist of the X-Sizer-Die and regular Seater Die) If I go with the set, is that set enough and does the resizer really work to where after the initial trim, I will not need to trim again for the life of that shell - which of course then goes to the question, what trimer? ...or should I just go with the "regular old RCBS full length die?

2. Some posts have mentioned the "little brass set screw" either wears out or is not sufficient so that some have leaned towards forester or hornaday dies? (I am kinda assuming that other manufacturer dies work with the RCBS kit?)

3. Are the RCBS presicion die sets worth a real value over the standard sets?

4. Should I be looking at Tungstein Carbide dies to possibly save time in reloading process (no need for lubricating?), and does the Tungstein Carbide dies apply to both straightwalled (44 mag) and bottle neck (338 mag)

Regarding measuring calipers.
1. This might be a personal fancy but is a vernier caliper better for reloading use rather than a micrometer?

2. If Vernier, I noticed one recent post showed this vernier that costs about $30.00. Frankford Arsenal Electronic Digital Calipers.

I am looking for the 338 Win MAG Nosler 225 or 250 AB bullets. Seems to be alittle hard to find these bullets at this moment as well without spending an "arm and leg". :) Any thoughts?

Lastly, if anyone knows a few good places to purchase these items, I would appreciate the hints. So far I am purchasing kit and new Nosler manual from Natchez.

Thank you all very much. You are helping me perfectly with my shopping cart.

Sincerely
Steve

Stevesdl,

I would imagine that the RCBS FL dies set will serve you quite well. I purchased some years ago several of the X-Die sets, and I still have to use them. Trimming is not an arduous task, and if you don't insist on loading hot, or if your chamber is not terribly out of spec, trimming will not be a constant requirement. Again, after the initial firing, I generally partial FL size my brass (cheap neck sizing) which avoids some of the ongoing problem of needing to always trim.

Generally, I purchase either Forster lock rings or Hornady lock rings to replace the RCBS lock ring. It is a matter of convenience. Alternatively, you can put a small lead weight (small fishing sinker) in the hold and tighten the set screw against that. It will work very well indeed.

The precision dies are nice. They work well. The primary advantage is when you are loading multiple loads that require differing seating depths. Otherwise, the standard FL seating die, once set, will not move on you.

The Tungsten Carbide die set is for handgun cartridges. You can buy a carbide expander ball for Redding dies, but I have not seen them for RCBS dies. However, you will still need to lubricate the case.

You will find both a vernier caliper and a micrometer valuable for hand loading. The micrometer will measure to more decimal points than will the calipers.

I have both the digital calipers and dial. If you are comfortable reading a dial, it will save a couple of dollars. Ditto with a micrometer. I have both types, and so long as you are able to read a micrometer dial, it will work just fine.

Living in Canada, I'm unable to recommend where to look for bullets in the States. I would probably look at the Pro Shop first for the bullets you want. Midway, Mid-South, Huntingtons, and a myriad of smaller suppliers all seem to be available, however.

Steve,

The regular RCBS die set for the 338 WM is all you need. The RCBS Carbide dies are really nice and I would recommend them for the 44 Rem Mag. (Carbide is not available for bottle neck cals).

Natchez is a good source for components.
Here is a place near me (1 hr away) that has 225 gr AB's, give him a call.

Schantz Supply
304 W ALLEGAN ST
OTSEGO, MI
49078-1012
Phone: 269-694-4705

Rick

JD338

Couple more places, Sinclair International, Midway USA and Midsouth. Get the $30 digital calipers. They will serve your loading needs for many years. As I said in my previous post, check Nosler's Pro Shop for their bullets. The seconds/blems/overruns are great bullets. Nothing I have shot with them have noticed any difference.Rick.

Stevesdl, Don't know if you checked here in Colorado Springs but Sportman's Warehouse is having 10% off sale till 2/21 also gun show at the Mart this weekend.

I have a bunch of 225gr Accubonds 2nds if you would like some in order to do some testing with. All these guys have given you such good advice on equipment, there really isn't much more for you to do other than start loading. You are going to have a blast with that 338! They are usually very accurate and man, with the 225gr AccuBond, you are going to hammer elk. Scotty

Thanks everyone! You all have been a big help.

Unless I am looking in the wrong section for factory seconds, I did not see anything for 338 Win Mag?

Everyone have a great weekend. I am in anticipation of all my new reloading equip to arrive. :):):)

Steve

Stevesdl":3hh2omga said:
Thanks everyone! You all have been a big help.

Unless I am looking in the wrong section for factory seconds, I did not see anything for 338 Win Mag?

Everyone have a great weekend. I am in anticipation of all my new reloading equip to arrive. :):):)

Steve

Another avenue for Nosler stuff is Bivwak. It's an auction site.
http://www.Bivwak.com

Some like it some don't - I for one have aquired a lot of Nosler bullets/brass and one rifle from Nosler/Shooter's Pro Shop via Bivwak.

Back