New (Old?) Elk Rifle

I almost took my Model 70 Featherweight out for elk this year. It shoots the 127 Barnes LRX at 3150 fps and .53" at 100.

I have been using a 300 WSM for elk for years and love the gun, but any more I have the bug for a mellower, lighter recoil, elk caliber. Nearly every elk I have ever shot has been within 400 yds. I grew up with the 30-06 and am considering switching back to this. Others in mind are 270, 7mm-08, or something in the 6.5s. Never owned any of the latter but do have some 270 experience. The 270 and 30-06 would be hindered by twist for any of the new LR bullets, but I don't know that I care. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I have killed a bunch of elk to 400 yards, and some further, with the performance level of the 7mm-08.
My good friend Darrell Holland made multiple trip to South Africa withe a 7mm-08 as well.
Proper Placement with the Proper Bullet=Dead Elk!

Never! I hate brakes.
I hate those with the small ports in them, the Holland types are loud but just a big boom compared to the sharp painful ear piercing bark of the KDF types. I have used them to take whitetails to .77 miles and have never not saw the bullet impact through the scope!

I keep saying I might use something other than the 338 Jarrett next year, taken more than 20 elk with it. I might use the 06 again; it and180 partitions have accounted for about 20 elk before the jarrett. Maybe I’ll use the 275 rigby; right there with the 708. If I find the right #1 in 300 H&H I’ll for sure use it. Pretty hard to give up the Jarrett.

I love the Mod 700 Classic Series. I have had them in several calibers, but the 338WM and the 350 RM felt almost the same, to me. Its the lighter weight, mostly I believe. Far worse (not terribly bad) than my old 35 Whelen AI. Bear in mind my loads back then ran about 72K in the Whelen AI! ha I didn't know until some friends here plugged my data into QL. I don't have the Whelen AI anymore....:)

Pay no attention to these spoilsports suggesting that you pass on a new rifle!

My two(ish) suggestions would be an '06 or .280/.280AI.

And definitely stay away from a .270. You deserve better!

I’ll be the odd one and suggest a 375 Ruger with a good brake. 🤣

J/K…….sort of.
If you reload I’d suggest a 6.5 PRC. If not a 6.5 Creedmoor would serve you well using a mono metal bullet.

Vince

I have been using a 300 WSM for elk for years and love the gun, but any more I have the bug for a mellower, lighter recoil, elk caliber. Nearly every elk I have ever shot has been within 400 yds. I grew up with the 30-06 and am considering switching back to this. Others in mind are 270, 7mm-08, or something in the 6.5s. Never owned any of the latter but do have some 270 experience. The 270 and 30-06 would be hindered by twist for any of the new LR bullets, but I don't know that I care. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Skip right on past the 30-06 and go with the 308. It's a mild mannered, inherantly accurate cartridge that punches far outside its weight class.

Skip right on past the 30-06 and go with the 308. It's a mild mannered, inherantly accurate cartridge that punches far outside its weight class.
I don't know why, but I ALWAYS look past the .308 for elk. I have no good reason to.

I don't know why, but I ALWAYS look past the .308 for elk. I have no good reason to.
Must be a bias. The .308 is a fine cartridge, but it isn't better than the 30-06. Either will accomplish all that a hunter will ever need for most of NA. Few of us are sufficiently talented to take advantage of the minor differences between these two cartridges. The man armed with either of these will find that he is more than adequately equipped to hunt most of the world. I like 'em both.

I have to agree with Dr. Mike. A few years back I did a comparison of the 180 gr. Winchester Power Point in the .308 and 30-06. Guess what? The .308 was actually faster than the 06. The .308 was shot in a 22" barrel Winchester M70 and the 06 in a Remington M700 and in an FN Mauser, both rifles with 22" barrel. I also shot the 06 in rifles with 24 and 26" barrels, the 24" a custom Mauser and the 26" a Ruger #1B. The only time I came anywhere near factory advertising numbers was with the 26 " Ruger #1.

I'm a somewhat experimental handloader so many of my lots are on the hot side while others are in the very light side. The 165 gr. AccuBond I killed the elk with was a load in the process of being worked up. In other words, I had not yet finished working up to a final maximum load. As it was at the time the only 30-06 ammo I had loaded up with no time to make up a heavier bullet load, it went on the hunt as back up to my normal elk rifle, a custom Mauser in .35 Whelen. As it happened, while checking the sight sight on the .35, the scope turned toes up. It was up to the 06 with the 165 ABs to do the deed. It worked just fine.

I may be at dinosaur age and nearing extinction but I still want to hunt and shoot in anyway possible. Recoil, at least from the bench is getting to be a problem and some of my rifles should I goof up and hold wrong could snap my 84 year old collar bone. So, if I can find an outfitter who works with the handicapped and can get a private ranch hunt that won't break the bank for a cow elk hunt, what will I use? Someone mentioned the 7-08 and I'm inclined to agree. Currently, I've been working with a 7x57 Mauser loading the brass using 7-08 data. I can run a 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2800+ FPS. I have gone to 2880 FPS which is in .280 Rem. area. Rifle is a modern Winchester M70 Featherweight and recoil even at that level is still mild. Taking an elk of either sex at 300+ yards should not be a problem.

Someone mentioned the .280 Rem. Good round. Mine is a custom on a 1909 Argentine Mauser by DWM with 24" barrel. Beatiful rifle but came out too darn heavy. I've worked up a load with the 160 Speer older two core Grand Slam bullets to 2904 FPS which if'n you check it is snapping quite close to the .280AI. Powder used is the long gone WMR but IMR7828 will get you there. WMR was just a bit more accurate. (.50" and less) Recoil in a lighter rifle I think would be quite noticeable. It's a fun gun to shoot but a bear to carry.
Paul B.

Get a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Everyone knows it’s good for elk, elephants, and the ever elusive eclectic erstwhile enigma named Betty.
All the gals, but especially Betty, love a man that shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor. If you don’t have a man bun I’ll rent you one you can clip to your hair. 😁

Vince

Back