New Pistol

Bruce Mc

Handloader
Oct 26, 2005
I bought me a new handgun back before Christmas but haven't been able to get out to the range to give it a good break in. Finally got out Monday with my new Springfield SA-35 9mm. I shot a couple if mags in the back yard to make sure everything functioned correctly and it did. At the range I drew from the holster and knocked down a plate, and it jammed, failed to extract. Cleared the jam, drew and fired and another failure to extract. Took it back to a bench to get a better look, I guess most pistols won't extract when the business end of the extractor has broken off. Now I'll be waiting another 3-6 weeks to get it back from Springfield.

Well that sucks.... A guy shouldnt have to get his anticipation up just to get the rug pulled out from under him like that. Been there. Hope the turn around is quick and successful. CL

I bought one a little over a year ago. So far, it's been a fantastic performer, shooting any kind of ammo ino nice little groups. I had read accounts about shooters having malfunctions but so far mine has been great.

Hope you get yours back quick. I think you're going to like it.

Ron

Bummer! Springfield should fix it up for you for free, but it stinks to have a new gun break. :(

I remember the extractor breaking on my 300 Rem Ultra Mag Rem 700. Fifth or sixth shot as I recall. Replaced it and never had another problem with it. Bad part from the factory I'd say. Same story with your new pistol.

Guy

That’s a bummer. That’s a gun I’ve been eyeing ever since it came out, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. (Pun intended). Over the years several friends have had some Hi-powers with some minor customizing done. Always liked how they felt in the hand.

On the positive side, Springfield apologized and sent out a FedEx label right off. The were as friendly and as helpful as I guess they could be. Though they wouldn't just send me out a new extractor.

Too bad you got a bad one but sounds like it will be repaired in quick order. I had problems with a Springfield Range Officer Elite Champion few years ago and they were very quick fixing it and no more problems. I looked at and held one of the SA 35 at the range the other day and my friend said his is shooting great. Hope you don't have any more issues. Dan.

I got my SA-35 back from Springfield, it took three weeks from shipping day to return day. I got out to the range and ran a couple hundred rounds of white box 115gr through six MecGar magazines without a hiccup. I did some draw and reload drills and found the gun handled much like a 1911. Fifteen round mags make reloading a bit time consuming, I think I need one of those mag loading gadgets. Any recommendations? The SA-35 fit my grip nicely and the reduced recoil of the 9mm made it much easier on my old hands. I also picked up another 9mm pistol that I'll talk about after I get few modifications.

I got my SA-35 back from Springfield, it took three weeks from shipping day to return day. I got out to the range and ran a couple hundred rounds of white box 115gr through six MecGar magazines without a hiccup. I did some draw and reload drills and found the gun handled much like a 1911. Fifteen round mags make reloading a bit time consuming, I think I need one of those mag loading gadgets. Any recommendations? The SA-35 fit my grip nicely and the reduced recoil of the 9mm made it much easier on my old hands. I also picked up another 9mm pistol that I'll talk about after I get few modifications.
Midway sells the reloader that you are looking for. I purchased one for about $30.00 and their worth every penny (especially in cold weather) At 79 years my fingers don't work quite as well as they used to and the last 5 rounds are a PITA. This unit will solve that problem completely.

Magula or something like that is what I bought, and it works well. Has an adapter plate for single stack or double magazines. Dan.
+1 - I have 3-4 of these scattered around. They are inexpensive enough to toss one in the range bag, have one on the bench, and another hanging around just in case. They come in a variety of colours, and will take a permanent marker so you can identify them as yours. At least, they used to; it's been a few years since I bought one.

*EDIT* Most important part: they work really well.

While the SA-35 was off to Springfield I picked up Springfield Ronin lightweight 9mm. I took it to the range with the SA -35 and shot a few dozen rounds through it. The edges of the beaver tail on the grip safety and the back edge of the thumb safety were so rough they put raspberries on the web of my hand and thumb. Made it difficult to ride the thumb safety comfortably. When I got home I broke out the files and worked on both spots. That made it good. After working off those sharp edges it feels really good shooting. I have now made my transition to 9mms from the 45 acp.

I also got a maglula loader and it's terrific. I got to get the smaller version for 380 and 22.

Back