New Vortex Viper HS - LR 4x16x44

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
I already have a couple of Viper PST on "Longer Range" guns and a 2x7 Viper on a 7mm-08 that my wife shoots. I wanted a scope I could adjust "Focus" / Parallax for my Sako 75. With the up coming Bull hunt my wife talked me into a new scope. No joke!! I like the weight and clarity for this gun. I have loaded up the 270WSM with the new ABLR 150gn and will get it shot hopefully next weekend.

I looked at Zeiss Conquest, Swarovski Z3 and Leupold VX3. My wife and I agreed on the Vortex.

Vortex = Clear/Bright up to close to full X - Very good color contrast.
Swarovski = Clear/Bright all the way thru X range - Good color contrast.
Zeiss = Clear but not as bright - Good Color contrast.
Leupold = Not as clear and bright as the others - little darker so contrast was less also.

What was surprising is my wife agreed with me. I asked her opinion before she heard mine!

Swarovski on my eyes "won" over the Vortex after some time of comparing the view at the elk mounts on the opposite wall = almost 300' away. It was clear and bright all the way thru the power settings. Just could not justify the extra $$ for the difference at the high power. The Vortex had (IMO) slightly better color contrast. The Elk/Deer hair (reds) jumped out at you better.

For me the scope is at the lowest setting 99% of the time. Now shots are about 75% low to 25% higher settings. I have one 6x24PST that is clear all the way thru and another that is SLIGHTLY less clear at the top. This is a Vortex thing I guess but being SO CLEAR and BRIGHT up to about 90% power for the $ is why I went with Vortex.

I already mounted it on the Sako and am happy with it. Now just to get a mature bull in front of it!

The Vortex HS and PST are both fine scopes--a bargain for those looking for a good scope.

I'd like to give that one a try... I just wish you could get the XLR reticle in the x44 model (and, I suppose, FFP). I don't really like x50 scopes very much.

I just got a Vortex Viper HS 4-16 x 44 to mount up my being built 22-250 - I look forward to using it - Very nice scope for the price - I think ! RJ

The one on my 264 has been flawless. Very accurate and repeatable with the custom turret. I really love the reticle with the MOA hash marks for windage, I have a chart for wind drift printed in MOA and it makes a simple accurate system with the reticle and my wind meter + rangefinder.

I have come close to buying Vortex Viper HST a couple of time but always end up with a Zeiss Conquest or Kahles. Kahles wins hands down technically. I feel that the better Vortex and Conquests are close in performance to the Vipers but I only have three conquest and a Diavari to compare. The higher end Swarovski and Diavari win for resolution hands down.

Oldtrader3":e7k2ocof said:
I have come close to buying Vortex Viper HST a couple of time but always end up with a Zeiss Conquest or Kahles. Kahles wins hands down technically. I feel that the better Vortex and Conquests are close in performance to the Vipers but I only have three conquest and a Diavari to compare. The higher end Swarovski and Diavari win for resolution hands down.

Oh your just down on the "lower end " brands you prob don't like Leupolds either ! :lol: RJ

Actually RJ, I still own (3) Leupold's: 2-7x28 RF, 1.5x5x20 VX 3, 4.5-14.5-40 AO VXIII. I owned nothing but Leupold's and Denver Redfield's from 1963-1992. I had some Vari-XIII's fail me and get factory repaired but they still did not always repeat settings and hold back then. The Conquests were, for a while, very competitive with Leupold and brighter optically than the Vari XIII IMHO. However, I just bought my latest VX3 about 6 months ago. I own (3) Leupold's and (4) Zeiss scopes, one of each were just bought. The latest is a new HD-5 Zeiss Conquest to break the tie.

That's one of the scopes I'm looking @ for my re-barreled 1982 M-77 in 270Win.

Thanks for posting up the comparisons

ts

The best "budget" scope I've found yet is the Vortex Diamondback. They aren't optically up to the Viper, but beat a couple older Leupold VX-II scopes I have. I have a 2-7x on my AR, and a 4-12x on my Ruger American. A friend showed me his, he has one on the Savage Axis 270 he carries in his feed truck. His has stayed zeroed for over a year of truck gun use, seems to be pretty tough. Mine have had an easier life so far but I'm real happy with them.

Back