New Zeiss HD-5!!!

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I just had to pick it up Zeiss HD5 3x15x42mm Great glass with zero stop!

Overall I am thinking this is the best "hunting" scope I have owned. The 3 power is wide enough for very close shots and I would think 15 power is good to 1000 yards or for small targets.

I have the locking turret version and I really like the turrets. They have positive clicks and they repeat everytime so far. They are also very accurate in the adjustment amount, 16 moa adjustment at 100 yards is just over 16" in POI.

There is a zero stop that is very easy to set up and use. Like the CDS it only goes one turn and stops in both directions (was hoping for unlimited upward travel). There is a total of 18 MOA per turn and 16.5 MOA between the stops.

All adjustments...parallex, eyepiece, power ring all move freely and precisely.

Scope weighs about 18 oz and has 70 MOA (mine actually has a little more)

The glass is bright, clear, has good contrast and not too much glare while looking toward the sun. I find it very easy to get behind even on 15 power, quite a bit more forgiving than others.

Overall I think these are going to be very popular due to the 1" tube, mid weight, nice size reticle (not too thin or too thick) and precise adjustments.

zeisshd52_zps00a6a2b9.jpg

zeisshd51_zpsffc5f039.jpg

zeisshd5_zpsf7b32da9.jpg

This is the Zero Stop, the two bars (horizontal and verticle intersect to stop movement in both directions) The verticle post can be removed easily to disable the ZS

zeisshd5zerostop1_zps75d004d4.jpg

zeisshd53_zpse55b091d.jpg

Another picture

Attachments

• 2433617_02_zeiss_conquest_hd5_3_15x42__640.jpg
    2433617_02_zeiss_conquest_hd5_3_15x42__640.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,992
Hi Fotis,

Congratulations on the scope.
How is the resolution it 15x? I read a report that it wasn't as good as the lower end of the power spectrum.
In fact, the report I read claimed that it was less than a VX-3 on the upper end.
I am going to put one on my 338 RUM if it is good on the high end.

JD338

Nice glass FOTIS, and I like that range of magnification on any of my medium magnums a lot! My Lazermark has a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 on it and the 1 Zeiss Conquest which I picked up just prior to the HD's coming out and I like the glass on it as to me it is very bright and clear! Those 1 inch tubes with good glass are amazing Optiks! Congrat's and what ya sticking it on? Undecided :lol:

That looks to be a good seller for Zeiss; I can see how it will be popular.

Jim to my eyes it is great. Put in for 47 (antelope) again and come see for yourself! :mrgreen:

Very nice scope Fotis. The eye relief was a big but pleasant surprise when I first looked through them. I jumped on a 2-10, but if I buy another, it will be identical to this one.

Fotis, what reticle did you buy? I have bought two of the 3-15x42 HD-5's. Both of mine have the Rapid Z 600 reticle in them and they fit really well with the trajectories of the .270 Win, 130 Partition or the 110 AccuBond, .257 Roberts. I bought the first one in October and one this month.

So far with about 3 hours on the range, I am really impressed with these scope's optical performance. I have read some other reviews complaining about softness in the new Terra 3-9x40 and in the Duralyte 2-8x36 scopes. However, I have found none in the two HD-5 Conquest scopes that I bought and none from reviewer's of this model! The HD-5 should be good with Tessar (T*), German Schott glass. I can not tell the difference between my three T* glass scopes. The two new scopes match my older Zeiss Diavari V scope.

JD338":bpa2u1rr said:
Hi Fotis,

How is the resolution it 15x? I read a report that it wasn't as good as the lower end of the power spectrum.
In fact, the report I read claimed that it was less than a VX-3 on the upper end.

JD338

JD, do you remember where you read that comment about "the HD-5, having less resolution than a VX-3 on the Upper end"? Was it an optic's Ninja or a professional assessment? Disturbing when someone starts these assertions with no attribution on a $1,000 product from a world class manufacturer. The independent lab report on light transmission which I saw said the Zeiss HD-5 was equivalent to the best Schmidt Bender scopes (98.XX%).

FOTIS":1evwm2ks said:
Jim to my eyes it is great. Put in for 47 (antelope) again and come see for yourself! :mrgreen:

Roger that buddy.

JD338

Oldtrader3":3lubbaoc said:
JD338":3lubbaoc said:
Hi Fotis,

JD338

JD, do you remember where you read that comment about "the HD-5, having less resolution than a VX-3 on the Upper end"? Was it an optic's Ninja or a professional assessment? Disturbing when someone starts these assertions with no attribution on a $1,000 product from a world class manufacturer. The independent lab report on light transmission which I saw said the Zeiss HD-5 was equivalent to the best Schmidt Bender scopes (98.XX%).

Charlie,

I was surprised to read that.
I will try to find it and let you know.
Fotis made me a believer with Zeiss, they are excellent.

JD338

That is what I am seeing in reviews. Exit pupil of course is a function of magnification and objective lens diameter. I have seen two verbal reviews citing softness for the Terra but it is a Japanese lens scope and not a Zeiss as it was not built by Zeiss.

This HD-5 scope is an eye catcher for clarity, even when compared to my other Diavari V/VM Zeiss. I was impressed by the improvements to the clarity of the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10-x44 but the HD-5 blows my newest Conquest away. It is also very close to the Diavari scope that I have had for several years. I am pleased that this product is so optically sharp.

I've got my HD5, 5-25x50, on my .338 after taking it off my .300 Win Mag.
It's great glass and I'm saving up for another one for my 30-06. I have the Z800 on, or in rather, my scope but I'll likely get the Z600 on the next one. I agree it's great glass.

Fotis,
How does the Elite 6500 compare to the HD5? I notice you sold the 6500. Was it not up to expectations?

Back