Nikon Monarch 3 or Vortex Viper

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Looking at either of these for my .300 RUM and was wondering which to go with? Looking at either the 4-16x or 5-20x Nikon with the BDC reticle.

Keep in mind that the BDC reticles are designed to work at maximum magnification. I have used the Nikon BDC, and it works very well. I have not sprung for a Vortex due to their reticle choices. I can't see them very well.

The Vortex has a dedicated following, not sure if it counts as a cult folllowing or not, too soon to tell.

Check out cameralandny.com. They have the 4-16 Viper HS/PST? open box demo for $399 right now.

I have a vortex viper on my 22-250 and it is an awesome scope. Clear, precise adjustments, tracks well, always returns to zero. Great bargain!

I have been favourably impressed with the Vortex Viper. I consider it to be a real bargain in the scope line.

Yes, the Vortex is looking good. Hard to beat their warranty. What power range would you recommend for the RUM?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The 4-12X40 PA would give you all the power you needed to tag game waaaaaaaaay out there.

I only have a sample size of 1 (Viper HS 4-16x44)...but in that limited experience, I have absolutely no complaints...none.

Great scope...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I have both :) i think the 4-16 Vortex would be best for your big RUM ! :grin: JMO RJ

I have a Viper and feel the NEW Monarchs are a step above the Vipers. The Viper is comparable to the older Monarchs. I have access to both flavors of the Nikon and it looks like they have made an effort to up their capabilities in all of their products akin to what Leupold has done with their entry-level optics.

Keep in mind, Vortex's Viper HS/PST and Razor are much more scope than their plain jane Viper line. Any of these are equal or higher quality than the new Monarch.

Back