No Deer, But

highoctane

Beginner
Apr 20, 2018
Got in my stand Sat. morning about 6 am. Around 8 am I had two small bucks come through. I thought I would see more deer but as luck would have it that was it until 11:45 am. Im kicked back in my ladderstand enjoying the beautiful leaves and all of a sudden there stands a big ol nasty coyote at 30 yds. I grab the 280 and put a 154 gr SST through his shoulder and spin him into the leaves. Coyotes are the only animal that I truly hate. Just one less that I'll have to trap come Jan.

Oct 29.jpgOct1.jpeg

What does anyone do with one that they’ve shot?
I don’t like to kill animals unless I’m going to use them.
But, coyotes are becoming a problem and getting very bold esp at night….

Congratulations. I feel the same as you. Thanks for eliminating another one.

I give them to a fella I know that sells the pelts. It’s a deal we have with the landowner where we deer hunt. He says we can hunt all we want so long as we help put a dent in the coyote population. They are hard on his calf’s and lambs.

Given their breeding propensity and the effect they have on the deer and turkey population, I shoot them and just drag them off to an unhunted part of the property. The smaller critters will dispose of them from there. I don't like to waste, either, but some things are worth an exception.

Brian

Well, if it's a particularly nice specimen you can always have a full body mount. During the colser month the pelt can be worth quite a bit of money Back in 1978/9 I was averaging close to $100 a pelt stretched, dried, fat removed and bullet hole sewed up Best price if ever got for a pelt (coyote( was $110. Nice winter coat bobcats brought in $495 for the few I got that year. BTW, bobcats are edible as are Mountain Lions. I've eaten dog in Korea but there's no way I'd dine on a coyote. They eat too much garbage.
Paul B.

got my first double this past saturday while trying to turkey hunt. Kill them all! they are worth nothing in the east, all they do is eat the game we try to hunt.
j46kuFj.jpg

In the cities of Canada, coyotes are becoming urbanized and they are increasingly aggressive. We have had reports of them attacking not only pets, but children. They certainly need to be trained to fear people, and that isn't going to be an easy task as long as you have people that want to feed the poor coyotes, treating them like misunderstood house pets.

The ones I trap and the ones I shoot get the same treatment, they become fertilizer for the daisies. Eastern yotes have very little value when it comes to pelts.

About 7 years ago I started getting pics of coyotes killing fawns on on my 160 acres. Not only was my fawn recruitment low the turkey poult recruitment was really low as well. While I understand that there's more to fawn and turkey poult recruitment than limiting the number of coyotes they were a big part of the problem.

After implementing a ridgid trapping plan for coyotes and nest predators, "coons, "possums, and the such the last 5-6 years or so my numbers of fawns and turkey numbers have increased exponentially every year. This year I had the most fawns Ive had, even had a doe with 3. This evening I watched 6 longbeards while sitting in my ladderstand

Whether or not one likes killing things they use or there has to be some sort of predator control. As noted, I shoot everyone I see and trap the others that are left over.

20210207_135332.jpgthumbnail.jpegyote.jpeg

The ones I trap and the ones I shoot get the same treatment, they become fertilizer for the daisies. Eastern yotes have very little value when it comes to pelts.

About 7 years ago I started getting pics of coyotes killing fawns on on my 160 acres. Not only was my fawn recruitment low the turkey poult recruitment was really low as well. While I understand that there's more to fawn and turkey poult recruitment than limiting the number of coyotes they were a big part of the problem.

After implementing a ridgid trapping plan for coyotes and nest predators, "coons, "possums, and the such the last 5-6 years or so my numbers of fawns and turkey numbers have increased exponentially every year. This year I had the most fawns Ive had, even had a doe with 3. This evening I watched 6 longbeards while sitting in my ladderstand

Whether or not one likes killing things they use or there has to be some sort of predator control. As noted, I shoot everyone I see and trap the others that are left over.

View attachment 18161View attachment 18163View attachment 18164

Thank you I appreciate your reply.
As I’ve stated I don’t like to kill something without using it” but your experience sounds similar to where our hunting is headed and the thinning of the “yote herd” is becoming a necessity.
I guess fertilizer is going to have to be the reason for the taking….

Wile E. does appear rather chagrined in a couple of those pictures!;)

Oh yea, I love it. Every time that I see one in a trap and start towards it they start jumping, (males most times get to growling and howling) and trying to get away but just as soon as I get with a few feet that tail goes between their legs, they start pissing down their legs and most just cower down. They seem to have that look, "uh oh, Ive screwed up now"!

Back