no long gun hunting this year

onesonek

Handloader
Apr 4, 2008
If I'm lucky, all my hunting will be done with a handgun this year.
While somewhat off topic, this is a breif (?) explanation as to why.
Some of you my know this already, but in late June I had a medical issue of which was thought to be an infection of the prostrate. Well, after 40 days of treatment and no improvement, I was refered to an Urologist. It turns out his CT scan showed what looked to be a tumor on the bladder. A biospy was scheduled, and indeed it was a cancerous tumor. Due to his schedule another 2 weeks had passed before we could have surgery on the 9th to remove it. I was going to post this last week prior to the surgery, but for whaever reason, elected not to.

Well,,,I got home Thursday, which feels good, but with mixed emotions.
As the surgery went with complications, not all as expected.
Turns out this is a fast growing type, or faster than expected. Most bladder cancers are contained within the bladder, mine had gotten into the muscle wall. This we knew from the first CT scan. But by the time surgery could be scheduled 2 weeks later, it had grown it's way down, attached itself to the pelvic, and wrapped around the renal artery. When the Doc got to this, he quit, not wanting to risk any possible damage to the artery. But he did get the illium conduit in place,,,,,that atleast allows me some uninterupted sleep.
So the plan is now to hit it with chemo and radiation, to shrink it away from the artery so it can be removed safely. Hope is, that it don't have time to spread much further in the 3 weeks it takes to heal this surgery some before starting the chemo. That is the scary part, as time seems to be critical, as fast as this grows.
Then too we had some disagreement between my Urologist/Surgeon and the Oncologist, with a treatment plan. Mostly in regards to the radiation part and surgery afterwards.
The wife and I had tendency to agree with the Oncologist. We had a discussion with the Urologist, and having worked with him some years ago, the wife suspected he was uncomfortable with the second surgery. Basically, she /we said, we understood, but he better get another surgeon on board that has seen this before. Get him/her involved Now, as to have some say in threatment proceedure. So she brought the Mayo Clinic up, and turns out my Urologist knows one of the leading Urologist/Oncologist there. I found out he is on board as of yesterday morning, and so far his outlook is positive. We still have another week to go before treatments can begin, and this time still has me plenty worried. But we can't turn back the clock, and have to go with what is, hopefully the time is sufficient.

Somtimes I find the wife's tenacious bullheadedness very annoying. But if it wasn't for her, this first surgery would have been 10 days later and the Mayo would have not been contacted. If it is God's Will that I survive, I owe it to Him and then her!! Otherwise, someone with less knowledge of the situation,,,,, well, I don't think I would have seen Christmas! There is still some scary woods ahead, and we still really don't know the outcome.
As I said, this Mayo Doc, has a positive outlook,,,,but I'm still very much in God's hands!
I have a few more test this comming week before we can start treatment. And then it will likely be 4-5 weeks of treatments before we really have an idea. I'm praying that we still have this in time and the bladder removed (likely at the Mayo), with some final radiation treatments to "clean-up" any reminents of the cancer. I certainly hope that I'm home and cancer free for Thanksgiving Dinner.

As for myself wishing to live longer,,,, I have no fear of dying. But I have yet, much to teach my youngest 12 yr. old son. For that reason alone, I have a selfish want, to supercede God's Will. Knowing that is not possible, I pray he gives me more time for Andrew's sake. Andy, is my only reason for bringing this forward. And if any are interested in following my progress, as I won't post all that often here, our D-I-L set this this up,,,
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/davidjansen
And feel free to do the guestbook thingy if you so wish!

Anyhow, back to the title,,,,,,I had a portacath, put in my left shoulder to facilitate the chemo. I shoot long guns lefthanded and would have had it in the right, but at the time I had an IV in my right carotid artery, of which the Dr. wanted to stay away from. And so, I told him I had anything and everything on this continent covered with a handgun,,,even pheasants, which shocked him. So much so he asked if he could invite himself to a pheasant hunt with my son and I. Hunting pheasants with a 12" Encore in the 45-410 over a pointer is a blast! I just have to put all my rifle testing and hunting I had planned, on hold for now. So no more playing with the Marlin .45-70 and Encore .375JDJ and cast boolits this year.

Dave

Dave I'll be praying for you as will a lot of the other wonderful guys here on this forum. It appears to be a rough road ahead and I wish you all the best. Spend as much time with your family as you can and enjoy yourself to the fullest. Let those special folks around you know how much you love them every day!

Good luck with your pistol hunting! I shot one deer with my .357 magnum quite a few years ago at about 40 yards. I was quite proud of myself. It was a 4" Smith & Wesson Model 28.

David

Dave,

Keep the faith. I will keep you in my prayers. You are going to an excellent facility with experts in the field. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

GOD Speed my friend,

JD338

Dave - you are in our prayers. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

About ten or twelve years ago Dad had a rough go with cancer, but he's here today, still fly fishing for salmon and walking two or three miles every evening in his mid 80's. I'm grateful for every day we've had together in the years since he beat the cancer.

You hang in there handgunner!

Guy

Dave,

I thank God for the medical care you have received and for a wife who stood her ground. I pray for wisdom as the surgeon performs his surgery and for a speedy recovery. May God direct your steps, and make your shots straight and true.

Mike

Dave, I am hoping you fare well with all this stuff buddy! We are pulling for you from Virginia! Good luck and let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Scotty

Dave, I hope that all goes well for you with the radiation and surgery. I am cured of testicular cancer (12 years ago) and realise that the radiation treatments will probably be the worst part of the entire ordeal for you hopefully. They were for me. I hope that they are able to shrink the tumor around your renal artery and excise it completely and safely.

My wife saved my life on at least three occasions in the past three years by putting her foot down and making me go to the hospital when I was refusing to do so. She absolutely saved my life by assuring that I was in the hospital when serious complications started that would have killed me had I been at home. Wives can be annoying sometimes but that is their job (to get we bullheaded men to do what is needed) and it shows that they care about us. I really appreciate my wife's stubborness much more now than I did then.

You have our prayers that you get through this and can again go hunting next year.

Dave,
The Lord is still in the healing and restoration business today buddy. I will keep you in my prayers. Remember you are not alone in this we are all with you but greater still the Lord is with you.
May your spirit be lifted today and be strengthened by his mighty power.

Don

Dave,
Sounds like you have the faith, resources, wife, and total team you need in place. Caring Bridge is great, maybe you could post in the journal there once in a while and let us know what is happening. Prayers for you and your team being sent!
EE2

elkeater2":336v2ehm said:
Dave,
Sounds like you have the faith, resources, wife, and total team you need in place. Caring Bridge is great, maybe you could post in the journal there once in a while and let us know what is happening. Prayers for you and your team being sent!
EE2

I had been letting the wife keep that updated, but also figured it it was time to get on there. Being it was somewhat a quiet weekend, I thought I would throw my initial 2 cents in a few minutes ago. I'm sure I'll have a bucks worth by the time I get out this mess :wink:
Thanks again to All!

DON":b7n3lmfy said:
Dave,
The Lord is still in the healing and restoration business today buddy. I will keep you in my prayers. Remember you are not alone in this we are all with you but greater still the Lord is with you.
May your spirit be lifted today and be strengthened by his mighty power.

Don
Dave +1 to Dons comments
Hang in there. Hunt when and if you can however you can, with the people that matter most. Hope we have some good weather for you and lots of pheasants to chase. Love them hills just north of pipestone.... Will say a prayer for you. May you aways feel that the Lord carries you where you need to go...CL

Not that you will need this.....but if you get to the point you cant walk those corn fields for a while, give this guy (on the link below) a shout. Maybe he will let you borrow one for an afternoon as a test pilot. The company is based in Marshall I think. The are about $8000.00 to buy. Wish I could afford one. CL

http://www.actiontrackchair.com/

My prayers will also be with you and yours. Good luck keep us informed and keep that positive attitude.

Dave, best wishes to you and your family as you face this challenge. You sold me a holster last year for my TC Contender pistol - I really enjoyed our phone conversations during that process. Keep the faith and stay close to God and your family.

-Lee

Thanks Lee and ALL.
The best part of the holster business for me is, those chats with the customer that I have.

Providing everything works out that I can get some hunting in, this is what I'll be using,,,,,,
100_4272.jpg

Top- 12" .45-.410 for Pheasant
Middle- 17" 6.5x57AIR / 125 gr. NP for medium long range Deer (out to 250+ yds)
Bottom- 12" .454 Casull with 310 gr. cast for short range Deer (out to 50 yds. or so)

Now it all depends on timing of the chemo/radiation treatments, and then the second surgery.
Pheasant season opens Oct. 15th, and I expect to be in the middle of chemo/rad. treatments,
so I'll have to see how that goes, and how they affect me. I'm sort of thinking the next surgery will come right about 3-5 weeks after the start of treatment. That may or may not affect the Deer season here, which I believe is early Nov. in our zone. But again, it will highly depend on how I feel. I'm not overly concerned about getting out hunting myself this year however. But i certainly would like to see my youngest son get his first chance at Deer. We'll just have to see how it all goes. May have to put that chance for him, back to ML season in late Nov. early Dec.

I had a MRI yesterday. The results of it will be discussed by the Mayo Urologist/Oncologist, and the local Oncologist, to determine treatment plan. Hopefully, that treatment will begin late next week. The Bone Scan I had earlier in the week came back negative, so that was a very positive thing!
Anyhow, everything is highly fluid right now. I should know more Monday, after my appt. with the local Oncologist. Not sure the MRI results will have made it to the Dr. at the Mayo, for them two to discuss it however. We'll see I guess.

Dave, we'll be praying for you. If you have any questions, I have some good connections in the oncology world and would be happy to lend them. I will lift you up daily.

dubyam":35gakla6 said:
Dave, we'll be praying for you. If you have any questions, I have some good connections in the oncology world and would be happy to lend them. I will lift you up daily.

Thanks, I appreciate that much!!! I amy be in contact, once I know more.

Update,,,,here's a post I took from caringbridge of what the wife posted when we got back from the Mayo Clinic today......

Just got back from Rochester a little while ago. We met with Dr. Karnes, very nice person and easy to talk with. He had positive news, he felt from looking at the MRI and everything that he could remove the bladder and tumor. He seemed very optimistic that it can be done without to much difficulty. He said he won't know for sure until he does the surgery, but from his perspective he didn't see a problem with being able to do the surgery. He wants to do Chemo for 3 months, he added 1 other chemo drug besides the one we knew of. He is also going to discuss Dave's case at a group meeting they have 2 times a month, I guess they all meet as well as the oncologist and discuss various cases and seek input from everyone. He said Dave's is unusual and he is confident in the plan, but he will verify with the others as well. So got a lot of experts looking at his stuff on Tue. He gave the go ahead for chemo to start, not doing radiation unless the group has a different suggestion. If so he will let us know on Tue. He was going to call Dr. Hubers in Sioux Falls and talk with him and get the chemo started. Plan is for surgery in Jan. following the chemo. He gave us a lot of hope and relieved alot of anxiety. He seemed very confident and reassuring that we are going to get the best care possible, with the best outcome possible.

It is wonderful news that the cancer has not spread from the bladder and prostate to the bones in you hip and back. If you can keep the cancer from metastasizing from the original tumor it is always great news. Our payers are with you on this.

Dave, continued prayer for you. Glad to hear that you got some encouraging news. As you no doubt know, between the Mayo and Sioux Falls you have some of the best care in the country. Hang in there! Are you well enough for Pheasant next week? CL

Back