No mulie this season

Your prosecutor needs more instruction, Guy. I quit waiting on the prosecutor here. I was supposed to appear as an "expert witness" in a case--never heard another word after preparation. In the interim, I continue to hunt.

Good luck Guy Miner! I know what your feeling. I try to train the folks around here to know when it gets to Fall, it better be something good to pull me outta the field.. I save up alot of leave to make sure I can capitalize on putting venison in the freezer.

Hope you can get onto elk buddy. That would be sweet.. Is it a spike hunt, cow, branch antlered bull?

Really hope you clobber a muley, that 30-06 would look nice over a good muley.

Yeah, I get in trouble at work if I don't pay at least some attention to the subpoena to court...

Still... It's DEER SEASON, and I'm on VACATION! I'll call again in a few minutes, then I'll know if I'm pulling on a plaid wool shirt or my uniform...

Elk... Weird regs here Scotty. Most of the elk locally are in an area that's only open for "True Spike" during the regular season. That means not even a hint of a branch on the antler tine, nothing but a spike all the way up, on both sides. Pretty tough call to make, looking through binos or a scope at a moving elk in the timber...

Oddly, WDFW has come out and said there are roughly 1,000 too many cow elk in that area they're only letting "true spikes" be hunted. That's where I keep applying for a cow tag!

The other elk area, late season, are "any elk" but there really aren't very many of them in those areas. The WDFW seems to want to keep those numbers in check. I keep trying that hunt, but with lousy success. It's like chasing a needle in a haystack to find them in the thick timber. Good thing is though that it's "any elk" so a guy doesn't have to sweat bullets trying to find a "true spike" among a herd of 'em.

I'm really hoping to find a decent mule deer buck this week, and later to go after elk in the "any elk" area, unless they call up some of us who didn't get drawn for cow elk tags... That would be nice! I'd go after cow elk in a half a heartbeat. They taste GREAT!

*Edited! As of 0930 I'm cleared to hunt! The guy pled guilty. Yipee!

Later, Guy

Mighty pretty up in the hills right now.

I don't have a lot of confidence left. Usually I've at least seen a legal buck this far into our nine-day season. We'll see. All the same, I'm enjoying the heck out of my vacation in the hills!

Regards, Guy

Glad the nefarious interloper plead guilty. :grin:

The country looks absolutely amazing. Go git 'em Guy but most of all enjoy the time in the mountains. The solitude and beauty is God's way of telling you he loves you.

Vince

Saw two bucks yesterday. A forked-horn, which can't be shot, and then I jumped a larger buck out of his bed at about 40 yards. Didn't get a clear look at him to see if he was legal, and there were too many trees between us for me to make a decent shot anyway. It sure was exciting when he bounded up with a rush!

Have been getting into some chukar too. May have to go back with the shotgun.

At least I'm seeing some deer now. And two bucks yesterday was cool. Yes, I enjoy the heck out of this week, deer or no deer. I'm tired, my ankles are sore from all the sidehill hiking and up & down. It's GREAT!

Okay, off again shortly.

Guy

Honest aching of the ankles means the soul is refreshed through enjoying the mountains. It is only a matter of time until you connect, Guy.

Agreed Guy!!! I don't know how far my brother and I hiked today but it was at least 7 miles. My poor ankles are killing me too!

Well that's a wrap, and no venison. Sigh... At least we've got bear in the freezer! Had a great hunt this season, despite not getting a shot at a mature mule deer buck. Watched sunrises, sunsets, moonrise and moonset. Heard the coyotes. Saw plenty of deer the past few days, just no shooter bucks. All in all it was a pretty doggone good season, other than coming up short on actually tagging a buck. Here's a few photos to finish things up:

Sunrise yesterday:

Moonrise, last night:

Anticipating a long-range shot, I brought out the .308 Green Machine yesterday afternoon. No big buck appeared...

So... late season elk & whitetail are still to come... My son has his heart set on taking a bigger whitetail buck this year, and I hope he's successful.

Guy

Fantastic pictures, as usual Guy, and thanks for pinning them up. Here's hoping you and your son both score during whitetail season.

Darn the luck. That big ole moon and clear dry wheather probably worked against you. Hope the late season brings fresh meat to your house hold.

Hope you can hammer an elk and wt. That'll take the sting out of not taking a Muley a little. Maybe? Great pictures.

Do not feel bad Guy. I had to cancel my elk hunt due to unforeseen circumstances.

Back