No Range Today

ColColt

Handloader
Apr 27, 2014
I had fully intended on going to the range today since it's the first day there's been no rain and prevailing wind. However, I noticed my shoulder is still a mite sore from last weeks trip with two 270's, the Model 70 and a Weatherby Vanguard S2. I shot 25 rounds in the Vanguard and 20 in the Model 70 last Wednesday. I went back and forth between the two letting one cool down while shooting the other. Maybe it's because the Vanguard, for whatever the reason, seemed to kick a mite harder than the Model 70, I just shot too many rounds of hunting ammo, or just old boney shoulders. Perhaps all of the above.

I tend to think since the Vanguard has a recoil pad and the Model 70 doesn't that it could be the shape of the stock on the Vanguard. I did use a Limb Saver on the Model 70 and it has a soft push. I don't want to admit that there may be a possibility that 45 270 rounds in a few hours is just too many for a 68 year old shoulder. At any rate, I'm going to fore go today and wait till Monday or Tuesday. That'll give me time to enjoy figuring out how to set up and program my RCBS Chargemaster. :) I have high expectations that the Vanguard will do better next time without my shoulder being in the forefront of my mind.

I would also be looking to change the recoil pad on the Vanguard or wear a shooting vest/jacket with a Past recoil pad in it. The Weatherby style stock directs the recoil to my face and I end up with a sore cheek.

The PAST strap on recoil pad works real well for me. Shooting lots of rounds is no problem. Tames a 300 winnie from a lion to kitty

Stock shape definitely dictates shooter comfort to a far greater degree than many have realised. I don't recall any of the Vanguards I've shot as being particularly vicious, but most were lighter calibres as I recall.

I have a Past Magnum pad and guess who left it at home thinking it wouldn't be needed? It will occupy a space in my bag next time. I used it mostly before when firing that monster 45-90 I once had.

Thats the one I have. I shot 35 rounds yesterday in .270 and 06. Can,t tell I did it.

The Model 70 has a steel butt plate and I knew not to try and shoot 20+ rounds with it without either the Past or the Limb Saver. I think in all probability it was due to the amount of rounds I fired. I'll know next week as I'll start with the Vanguard and the Past pad. It worked well with the 45-70 and 45-90. The 270 is the most powerful rifle I have currently. The .222 and .243 are pussy cats. No pads or anything necessary with those. Even the lever action 38-55 is no big deal.

Looking at the drop at heel and toe it could be it's a little more, especially at toe, to give the felt recoil it did.

This past fall I decided to hunt with my old M700 7mm mag. for the first time since '96. I found the recoil pad had gotten hard as a rock. I shot about 12 shots and those were not fun. I had neck problems for over 2 weeks. All this is unusual for me but I guess turning 60 and passing it might have a little to do with it.
Anyway, after doing the bedding job and trigger job I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad. I had read about the effectiveness of these pads but I'd never shot a rifle with one on it.
I was amazed, to put it frankly. It really tamed that 7mag.
Right now I'm working on load development and it's all off the bench. At about 30 rounds I start to realize I'm shooting a magnum.
Now I think I need one for my .308.

I put a Limb Saver on nearly every rifle I buy/build. The only exception is an occasional Pachmayr Decelerator pad that has been installed on a couple of rifles. I shoot quite a few hard-kicking rifles for other people; I don't need that sort of distraction from my own rifles.

DrMike":1zmifalr said:
Stock shape definitely dictates shooter comfort to a far greater degree than many have realised.

^That right there.

I didn't realize this until I got my 2nd 06.

The first one had a classic stock that did NOT fit me well; was REALLY short, and had one those really poor "pads" that offered NO protection from recoil whatsoever. It was my first "high powered" center fire" and beat the ever LOVIN piss out of me.

The 2nd had a Monte Carlo stock that was nice & long, a thick pachmyer pad, and was even lighter weight than the first.

The difference between the two... Even w/ identical loads... Was an absolute pussycat.

I am not arguing against classic stocks or for Monte Carlos. As a matter of fact that first rifle is the only 06 I own... I just had to have it modified to fit me. It's a favorite and will never go anywhere...

I am saying that fit has a huge affect on felt recoil. HUGE.

I concur, stock fit is everything. I really like the Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pads,
I put one on my 338 RUM and it really tamed the beast.

JD338

Talking about stock fit reminds me when I had a Shiloh Sharps 45-90 that was fit with a skinny, thin crescent shaped steel butt plate. First time I took it out I had 20 rounds I intended on firing. I should have stopped after the third one but refused to drive 20 miles to the range just to shoot three rounds so I suffered through ten and just had to quit.

I came home and my shoulder was still hurting the next day things got worse. I'm on three blood thinners and bruise easy but this was ridiculous. No rifle I ever had bruised me like this one. Reluctantly, I sold it later. If it had a shotgun style butt I feel I could have tolerated it and probably wouldn't have bruised me so badly. The bruises traveled down my arm and across my chest.

That was a terrific beating you took, ColColt. I wince just looking at the photo. I've had bruising before, but nothing that even approaches that.

All part of being old and those blood thinners(aspirin, Plavix and Warfarin). I can look at a bush and get a bruise. I went to the doc about it and she asked if a truck hit me.

No range for me either. I was all set to try a new 90g Sierra HP load in the 270 Win and a new 225g SST load in the 338 WM. Hmm it dawned raining, and its the first weekend I've had free in over a month.

I have to look after my 4.5 year old daughter tomorrow while my wife takes the boys to rugby. Hmm I'm sure the little one wouldn't object to a picnic with her dolls while I fling some of those sleek 225 grainers downrange!

Barbies and bullets?

bobnob":3eymfw5j said:
Barbies and bullets?

Good plan, mate. Barbies and bullets? Catchy concept for dads charged with baby sitting duties.

Colcolt that looks to be one heck of a sore shoulder. I have lucky as I was able to stop the plavix 1 year after my stents were in.
My Doc advised 1 regular coated Aspirin per day should suffice. Actually jumped On the scale today now back watching more closely on what I am eating. Starting Monday as tomorrow kids are taking my wife & I out for supper :wink: . We are going to celebrate our 39th year if marriage.
Colcolt sure hope that shoulder heals up quickly. You may have get mag pad for your shooting shoulder.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, Congrats on the up coming Anniversary. I just recently celebrated our 45th.

Colcolt I had a Remington 1100 beat the blood out of my shoulder while testing reloads for Turkey hunting. Shooting a 12ga 1100 with 1 1/2oz loads at 1400fps off a rest with factory pad is no fun either. as a matter of fact I haven't done it since and that was back in the 1980s. A hard lesson well learned.

Back