Nosler 264 Win Mag Brass

I shot yesterday with the 140 BT's. Much better for consistency with the same lot of brass. Now I have something to work with.... Nothing spectacular yesterday, but I am starting from scratch with it!

Glad you're working through the problem, Scotty. In deference to Nosler, I suspect you may have two lots from two different suppliers. Perhaps they used one and then switched to the other? I hope so. That's pretty significant variation between lots. It certainly emphasizes the caution to re-work loads if you switch brass. I buy all my brass in lots of 100, and generally work everything through once and then pare it down to 20rd lots unless I haven't found a good load yet. That way I can work through 1 segment of 20rds multiple times before they give out, and have four more "identical" segments after that. So far, so good. My 270Wby is the toughest on brass at this point for me. Norma primer pockets are a bit soft, so I'm only getting 4-6 loadings before they get loose. I've got a batch of 100 Weatherby headstamped cases (also made by Norma) that I'll start into once I've exhausted these Normas. But, I will likely have five or six years of use out of the first 100 so I figure that's worth the cost. Once I got the load dialed in, it's been a lot easier on brass because I'm not working up anymore. I'll work up in the new Weatherby brass to be sure it's still safe, and then I'll switch to "conserve" mode again.

I bet you can get four or five years out of the two lots of brass you have, combined. Easily two or three years out of each if you play it right. Shouldn't be to rough to re-work on the third lot when you have to buy it. Maybe you'll get more than that now that you know what's going on.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted.

Yeah, I tend to shoot all my rifles alot though Dubyam. Granted, that brass will last for awhile, but I am scared to order more cause if it is different, then again, more load work. If it is a little, that's fine, but a complete rework isn't acceptable. The 264 is the hardest on brass for me as well.

I am thinking of moving to some other powders as Retumbo isn't clicking for me. Seems to have too much variation. Probably just me, but it doesn't seem as consistent for me in the 264 as a few other powders have been..

I hear you on Retumbo. I know guys who swear by it, but I've also been around it enough to know that it has one major failing for my use. It goes from being perfectly fine from a pressure standpoint, to being over, very quickly. There's very little room between "zero pressure indicators" and flattened/cratered primers, ejector marks, and extremely stiff bolt lift. I like predictability, so I stay away from it.

As for the brass question, I certainly understand. I like to shoot as well - I just don't get to do as much as I'd like. With my 270'bee, I've found the loads it likes, and I've got it set up like I like. So I usually just shoot 6-12rds four or five times a year. I have been blessed enough over the past few years to have too many rifles for which I needed to work up loads, so I've not had any lack of trigger pulls. And, as luck would have it, the 'bee shoots great regardless, so I just let it be. Right now, going into spring, I have two rifles I need to finish load work for, and then two brand new (to me) rifles in the safe that haven't even seen the load bench or the range yet, so I'll have my hands full again, and the 'bee won't get abused. Old Mr. Hyde will, however, I'd be willing to bet, still be my most accurate and favorite rifle come November's gun deer opener...and he's first on the list this year, after not getting to tag out this past season.

dubyam":ljkqovg1 said:
Old Mr. Hyde will, however, I'd be willing to bet, still be my most accurate and favorite rifle come November's gun deer opener...and he's first on the list this year, after not getting to tag out this past season.

Wait till you start monkeying with that 270WSM you have Dub! That small, trim little rifle is really something.

Yeah, I am going to see what other powders out there will work with me. Fotis seems to have alot of luck with RL25 in his 264's, so I think it is next.

Just proves ? anyhow that buying "lots" of brass- bullets -powder-primers is the thing to do when you have a load that is shooting well ! I have bought brass in "lots" of 100 - bullets to 500- powder to 8 lbs and 1000 primers- all having the same lot numbers - that then takes the variables out of the equation ! I only then have to assemble proper loads and shoot good ! Oh and make sure the rifle is all correct too ! I think ! Pretty busy with all this ! LOL Cheers RJ :)

Guys,
You know how I love my Nosler stuff, but I know that another guy with a 300 Win experienced the same type issues with different head stamps/case capacities with Nosler brass. I only bought a box of 50 for my three hundo, but boy am I glad that I kept the box so that I can try to match the lot numbers. Must say though that it's the best brass I've ever worked with. SJB, hope that 264 works out well for you. Got any pics of it? I've always had a thing for that caliber and some day I hope to make it happen. Some folks like to bash on it for elk, but I don't think they're seeing the whole equation. Loaded hot, you're pushing a bullet with a sectional density of .287 (superior to .30 cal 180s and 7mm 160s) at close to 3200, if you're feeling frisky (and have a 26" pipe). It barks loud, but doesn't bite nearly as bad as a 300WM. 6.5s are becoming chic again and people are rediscovering what ol' folks with original .264s have known for quite some time--that the caliber kills very well (yup, elk included too). M70s and .264 Win Mags, yup, we need to tip a few and tell a few hunting and sea stories. You know, Winchester just started making them in super grade. I've got two kidneys and I'm pretty sure I only need one, so I'll find a way one of these days.
Joe

Guys,
You know how I love my Nosler stuff, but I know that another guy with a 300 Win experienced the same type issues with different head stamps/case capacities with Nosler brass. I only bought a box of 50 for my three hundo, but boy am I glad that I kept the box so that I can try to match the lot numbers. Must say though that it's the best brass I've ever worked with. SJB, hope that 264 works out well for you. Got any pics of it? I've always had a thing for that caliber and some day I hope to make it happen. Some folks like to bash on it for elk, but I don't think they're seeing the whole equation. Loaded hot, you're pushing a bullet with a sectional density of .287 (superior to .30 cal 180s and 7mm 160s) at close to 3200, if you're feeling frisky (and have a 26" pipe). It barks loud, but doesn't bite nearly as bad as a 300WM. 6.5s are becoming chic again and people are rediscovering what ol' folks with original .264s have known for quite some time--that the caliber kills very well (yup, elk included too). M70s and .264 Win Mags, yup, we need to tip a few and tell a few hunting and sea stories. You know, Winchester just started making them in super grade. I've got two kidneys and I'm pretty sure I only need one, so I'll find a way one of these days.
Joe

I am with you Joe. I wouldn't scoff at the 264 with 140 AB's or PT's. My rifle shoots the PT pretty well, but the AB is still out. I am not done with it, but I have a notion to go back to the PT and call it a day. 3200 is pretty easy and 3100-3150 should preserve cases for a long time. I did well with the PT's, but for some stupid reason, I veered away from them. I have a strong feeling I am going to try them again and be done with it. They have a high BC and like you said, they penetrate far.

This is a picture of my 264WM

DSC_2330.jpg

Here is what it did with 140 PT's

DSC_2938.jpg

I see Winchester is putting the 264 into the Sporter, Featherweight and EW's as well. Guys looking for something that shoots a 6.5 fast and flat wouldn't do much better than one. I know I like mine.. Just a little more touchy to load for than anything else I own.

A friend of mine has the same rifle you have Scotty in 264 Win Mag. He couldn't seem to get the Accubonds shoot very well. I recommended the 140 Partitions. It resulted in groups like yours posted. Gotta love that. :mrgreen:

Another friend in Colorado I hunt Elk with has killed Elk out to 600 yds with his 264. The 264 in my book is a real killer, depends on who is doing the shooting as they say!! :wink:

Don

For hunting Scotty, I do not know where you could go wrong with the .264 Partitions. I have been using them isn my samller bore, high velocity Model 70's and Mauser Customs (.270 Win, 7mm mag etc) for many years. Not only do they deliver very acceptabe accuracy, in most cases sub-MOA, but they also have never failed to deliver in the field for DRT'ing any medium game from pronghorn to large muledeer. I often practice with the Ballistic Tips and in many case they shoot into the same groups.

Scotty,
Thanks for the pic of your rig. It's a helluva nice setup and really looks like she delivers the goods with the PTs. I haven't forgot and I'll try to get you a pic of my pre-64 .270 when I make it back to my father-in-law's house and pull it from the safe. Ol' girl is taking a winter nap. She's ready to go at a moments notice, but my other rifles need a little more work to sort out the dope. Brother, I'm feeling your pain on the ABs. They really group well in my .270, but just aren't showing up in my daughter's rifle. They say it'll put 130 SMKs under .5", but that doesn't do us much good for hunting. I tried to get some 130ABs, but they only had 140s at the store so I got some 140 PTs instead. If that doesn't work, I'll ditch the 7828 and try some 4831. Speaking of 7828, the burn rate seems about right for your application. I ditched the RL 25 a while back, as 7828 did good things in just about everything I tried it in. I'm thinking about getting another bullet seating die for my kiddo's rifle. I love having components matched to a certain rifle. Cross your fingers...
Joe

Scotty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever get your hands on some WC872 ?????
:mrgreen:

Howard

Joe, I was given some data for IMR7828 so it is on the loading tray awaiting the next loading session. I really think I will push back to the PT's. It shot them really well across the board. I just wanted to try the 140 AB's, but I am about done with them. I tried quite a few combos and nothing really jumped out at me.

Howard, I didn't. Just haven't gotten any of it yet.

I use 66.0 grains of IMR 7828 SSC in the 7mm Rem Mag with a 160 gr Partition. The 160 Partition .284 bullet has a SD of .287 vs .283 SD for the 140 gr .264 WM bullet. Not the same but close and that load is the most accurate one that I have found for my 7MM Rem Mag and has very acceptable velocity too. Plus, the case design and capacites are similar, so I'm thinking what sauce for the goose is good for the gander or somewhere in that neighborhood, working up from below of course. MRP was the only powder that could beat it and you can't buy that one anymore.

Oldtrader3":1b4dtde9 said:
I use 66.0 grains of IMR 7828 SSC in the 7mm Rem Mag with a 160 gr Partition. The 160 Partition .284 bullet has a SD of .287 vs .283 SD for the 140 gr .264 WM bullet. Not the same but close and that load is the most accurate one that I have found for my 7MM Rem Mag and has very acceptable velocity too. Plus, the case design and capacites are similar, so I'm thinking what sauce for the goose is good for the gander or somewhere in that neighborhood, working up from below of course. MRP was the only powder that could beat it and you can't buy that one anymore.

Thanks Charlie. I'm thinking 7828 will be good. I do know where I can get some MRP. I wonder if it is still produced. The place that has it, has all the Norma powders. I hope to get out again soon with it. It's my only rifle I don't have an actual good shooting load for and it's bugging the crap outta me.

IMR 7828 SSC has worked for me in the 7mm Mag and the .340 Mag. It is the only powder that I can get close to 3100 fps wih the 225 Partition in the .340 and attain really high accuracy also. The same is true in my 7mm Rem Mag. I get over 3050 fps with the 160 Partition and sub-moa accuracy to 300 yards. For these reasons, I think that it is worth a try in that .264 WM?

The last that I saw on MRP was that Norma has announced that they are no longer going to produce the powder. If you have access to a stock of it, you may want to buy some, to hoard, and try it. I am willing to guess that it would sizzle in that .264 Mag.

IMR 7828 is a little touchy on max loads and they should be approached carefully. However, despite some ejector hole shininess on my .340 Norma brass with 7828 using 225 gr Partitions, I have reloaded these case 5+ times and the pockets are still tight, FWIW.

Ridge_Runner":jtu9c0xq said:
I'm pretty sure wc872 is too slow for the 264/7mm/338 capacity cases. ya tried H1000 yet?
RR

Ridge Runner
I'm loading WC872 and 130 ABs in my 264.
It's a 28 incher 1/8 twist.
Launches the 130s at 3420.
Extremely accurate.

Howard

Scotty,
I think I would stick with either 7828, RL25 or even RL22 in the 264. MY friends are shooting one of the three mentioned with good results. Ramshot Magnum comes to mind also just not sure how it would perform. It's one to possibly consider with that overbore caliber too.

Don

Back