Nosler 264 Win Mag Brass

SJB358":16frqcuw said:
<snipped>
I am thinking of moving to some other powders as Retumbo isn't clicking for me. Seems to have too much variation. Probably just me, but it doesn't seem as consistent for me in the 264 as a few other powders have been..

I'm working up a load for a Rem m700 26" with a 1-9 twist, 130gr ab's with fed 215 primers and R-P cases. I've weighed and checked neck thickness variance and even though all cases are from the same lot factory loads, I think changing to a better quality brass would help.

RL25 and 7828SC both gave me good results but Retumbo didn't work for me either. The speed was there without pressure signs but groups varied too much. I've just started using MagPro with 130 ab's and its showing a lot of promise. It looks like I'll be able to get single digit sd's at a little over 3300fps. The last group I had was well below moa at 3275 fps with no signs of excessive pressure but I haven't had time to shoot multiple groups to make sure it's going to be repeatable. So far I'm liking it better that anything else I've used.

BTW, I'm not sure if this just concidence but with the other powders I've tried (7828, retumbo, rl25 and rl22) I had to raise the starting pressure to about 8000#'s in quickload to match chronograph speeds. With MagPro, I left the starting pressure at 3250 and was very close to the actual chrono speeds.

Thanks guys, I am going to load a bunch tomorrow with the Magpro and IMR7828.

There is also a bunch of MRP, so I might try it... Who knows, if it works, I will grab a bunch..

You could check with Norma on this, Scotty, but I believe it was MRP2 that was discontinued and a replacement brought out (217?). When I check the Norma site, I still see MRP there. It's one of their best sellers, I believe, and I can't imagine them discontinuing it.

dubyam":38d4g5gw said:
You could check with Norma on this, Scotty, but I believe it was MRP2 that was discontinued and a replacement brought out (217?). When I check the Norma site, I still see MRP there. It's one of their best sellers, I believe, and I can't imagine them discontinuing it.

I will check on it today...

Well, I loaded up a bunch of test loads with the 140 BT and RL25/IMR7828SSC... We shall see what they do. Cleaning the tar outta the rifle right now. Hoping something jumps out at me with this batch. Not sure where I am headed next..

86bd1144.jpg

Scotty,
The suspense is killing me. Did you get a chance to make it out to the range this weekend with some different powders in that .264? I burned some 140 PTs thru the daughter's .270 on Friday morning and got one group to go about 3/4". The rest put two touching and the third a little over an inch away. I dropped the trigger adjustment spring out as much as it'll go and am still a touch over 3lbs, so now I'm scratching my head. Does my rifle simply shoot PTs better than ABs, or was the driver not at his best with ABs and the heavier trigger pull and should retry 140 ABs again? Thinking I'll repeat some of the more accurate powder loads with both ABs and PTs and see what happens. If it simply shoots PTs better, then there are worse things in this world, right!
Joe

EOD Diver":2ki24jac said:
Scotty,
The suspense is killing me. Did you get a chance to make it out to the range this weekend with some different powders in that .264? I burned some 140 PTs thru the daughter's .270 on Friday morning and got one group to go about 3/4". The rest put two touching and the third a little over an inch away. I dropped the trigger adjustment spring out as much as it'll go and am still a touch over 3lbs, so now I'm scratching my head. Does my rifle simply shoot PTs better than ABs, or was the driver not at his best with ABs and the heavier trigger pull and should retry 140 ABs again? Thinking I'll repeat some of the more accurate powder loads with both ABs and PTs and see what happens. If it simply shoots PTs better, then there are worse things in this world, right!
Joe

I should have a chance this week to shoot Joe. Pretty busy weekend for me. If the PTs shoot better, I'm good with that too! No need in messing around if they shoot. Out to normal ranges that 140 PT would be a deer or elks nightmare I think.

DON":cd4i7037 said:
Scotty,
Those 140 BT loads look good.

Don

YUP!

I wish Nosler would go with magenta color~ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back