Nosler .300 Win. Mag. Brass issues

Instead of buying new Nosler 338Win brass I found some Winchester brass in stock and bought it to supplement my supply since I only had 50 pieces to begin with. I plan on fire forming some so I can check the H2O cap.
The H2O cap is running 91.5gr average for the Nosler brass and I have been told that is high and don't have anything to compare that to and won't really be comparing apples to apples with the Win brass but I will find out if I have a large chamber or not if the H2O cap is the same for the Win brass.

I'll never buy Nosler brass again.... ever. Several buddies have also had issues with Nosler Brass, and we encourage everyone we know not to buy/shoot that garbage.

All 3 boxes of Nosler brass I bought; .243, .260, and .280 AI.... needed trimmed, or had shallow primer pockets, or wouldn't chamber at all. I called Nosler the first two times, and Mike treated me like I was retarded. The third time, I was in a bind looking for some .260 brass... I knew better, but I bought the Nosler crap as it was the only game in town. Not a single piece of that brass would chamber in three different .260s. Fortunately, the owner of our LGS took the brass back and gave me two bags of W/W 7/08 brass which I necked down and still shoot to this day.

Mike in Customer (DIS)service is by far the worst part of the entire organization. Having met him twice at the facility, and he seems like a nice enough fellow. But on the phone, or via email, he turns into one of those old guys on the balcony in The Muppets.

I've probably called Nosler CS a dozen times in my life, and only once did I come away feeling like I was dealt with fairly and with some compassion. So I guess Mike is batting a smooth .085 in that department.

truck driver":r77761y1 said:
Instead of buying new Nosler 338Win brass I found some Winchester brass in stock and bought it to supplement my supply since I only had 50 pieces to begin with. I plan on fire forming some so I can check the H2O cap.
The H2O cap is running 91.5gr average for the Nosler brass and I have been told that is high and don't have anything to compare that to and won't really be comparing apples to apples with the Win brass but I will find out if I have a large chamber or not if the H2O cap is the same for the Win brass.

I have and continue to use a bunch of WW 338 brass. It's tough and once it's shaped up lasts a long time.

There was something I forgot to mention earlier. The 7Rem brass seconds I bought has what looks like chips along the outer edge inside the case in the web area of the case looks like 6-7 in each case along the inside wall.
I have tried to break them loose with a dental pick but have had no success removing them. It doesn't seem to effect the accuracy but it sure doesn't look right.

Wow! Nosler sure appears to have fumbled the ball on this product. For sure I don't purchase Nosler brass any longer, though I did pick up quite a bit early on. The .260 Rem brass was my first clue that something wasn't Kosher. I had to prep each case just to ensure that I could seat the primers. I had some early stuff for the .280 Rem and the 7 RM which was good, though it was not necessarily superior to the Norma brass I had on hand. When I saw the pricing and reduction in packaging on the 325 WSM and 300 WSM brass, I backed off pretty quickly. I do have a few boxes of 35 Whelen brass which has never been cracked. In any case, I just buy Norma brass, or in a few instances RWS or Lapua. It doesn't cost any more than Nosler brass and I've yet to be disappointed.

Crazy that several people have expressed displeasure with both the brass, and the customer service they received..... yet NO ONE FROM NOSLER... has commented, apologized, reached out for clarification or otherwise done ANYTHING to attempt to rectify either the schitty brass, or the worse "Customer Service".

Seems they're unconcerned about either..... par for the Nosler course.

Maybe some of the mods who have contacts with Nosler directly could make some notifications and give them an opportunity to fix the problems? If the issues are stonewalled with Mike in CS maybe someone above his paygrade would take an interest in making sure customers are treated fairly?

Ron

Not any different when I called them that their Match Grade .223 Rem. 77 gr. Custom Competition ammo was not loaded to the advertised velocity of 2750 fps! The guy I spoke to was a little shocked, and seemed hesitant to believe my data was correct? OK!

I only bought that single box of ammo to test it in a M4 for the velocity difference 14.5" bbl vs. 24" bbl, well even in my Remington 700 5R Milspec rifle that has a 24" bbl the round was barely going 2500 if memory serves me well since I couldn't find the article or the printed page from my Ohler.

I just don't appreciate being blown off any more then the next guy, and that was troublesome to see such a huge difference in velocity? Black Hills Ammo has always been close to as advertised in the same barrel length.

Note: In the M4 the Nosler Match Grade 77 gr. CC was only going 2216 fps @ 20' from the muzzle. I was able to use the case head expansion as part of the data I was looking for though.

At this point, dissent is merely a few voices expressing disappointment on this forum. When dissent begins to bleed into other venues, it can hurt Nosler badly. The firm needs to get out ahead of this and do so publicly. A good start would be providing instruction to the primary party identified by multiple users and making the change public. Perhaps the individual needs to be reassigned within the company, or even dismissed if a remedy appears unfeasible. Then, the product in question needs to be assessed and if steps need to be taken, do so. Again, public acknowledgement would go a long way toward diffusing dissent. Nosler is a great company that has built a great reputation. It has weathered similar product disappointments in the past, and it can do so again. However, they must take note of the disappointment and take appropriate steps to correct the problem.

On another note I was thankful for buying their brass (280 AI) when it first came out years ago since it measures super close to the FF brass I get from Kenny Jarrett. Although I never measured the primer pockets or seated one since I've yet to use the stuff!

Hopefully when the day comes I do use that brass it works as expected?

I agree 100% Dr. Mike.

However.... Nosler's standard practice with stuff like this is akin to an Ostrich sticking its head in the sand.

I'm pretty sure Mike in Nosler's CS dept. has compromising pictures of the entire Nosler Family.... that's the only way he can keep his job. He shoulda been fired years ago.

Anybody heard for Nosler on these issues?

I find it somewhat amazing that a company would have this direct line to those who actually use their product in the field.... yet they would fail to address or even acknowledge the failures.

Back