Nosler, ever ck'd velocity differences . . .

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
With the only variable being change of primers in a given load? Along with that question . . . have you ever ck'd pressure differences with the only variable being the primer?

Long

Stan Watson, think that is correct, wrote a manual on 30/06 that compares one thing at a time, primers, brass, bullets. If you are interested I will get his address.Rick.

The A-Square manual "Any Shot You Want" has tests with changes to the primer, bullet, case, ect and alot of interesting reading on pressure and what affects it. The last I saw Midway was still carrying it.

Stans web site no longer works for me. I tried to bring it up before posting the addy here and it was no go.

http://www.reloadingpro.com/

This was it last I knew..

This is a little off the topic but it something that I found interesting . I load for 7MM rem mag, 300 & 338 WM , and 300 & 338 RUM. I always use WLRM primers just because they are rumoured to be the hottest primer. I have been messing with a chrono for a few years and was experinacing wide velocity spreads sometimes up to 80 fps . Just messing around one day I loaded some FED 215's and after 100's of rounds my velocity seldom vari's more than 20 fps most times much less. If there was a increase or decrease in velocity I really didn't notice it . My groups out to 250 yards didn't seem to change to much ethier . But I'm impressed enough I'm now loading with 215's for my magnums. KH

I just worked up some loads today and notice a difference of 3000 PSI between Fed210M and Winchester WLR. Good reason to always work up loads carefully and to start low. I hope that helps.

Thanks,

I read an article by Barsness and he says that in the 7mm pressures from different primers can vary by 10,000 psi. But in the same cartridge velocity only varied by 34fps. He also noted that if you want to be safe in changing componants go with the CCI primers.

Long

Anytime yuo cahnge any component in reloading, it will change the pressure. Whether it be the case, primer, or even a differen't OAL. The variances are usually slight, but just start 1-2g lower and it wont make a difference in safety. Let the cronograph or your rifle tell you when your nearing max. Most cases, it will be about the same.

Back