NOSLER - more weight selection in 224 cal bullets, please.

CamoWildcat

Beginner
Mar 20, 2006
My 223 wssm doesn't like 50 grain bullets. It appears the 1:10 twist isn't right. It shoots better with Hornady 60 grain flat base ballistic tips. So it appears to like longer bullets. But I don't want to go up to 70 grains. Other shooters over at www.wssmzone.com say their 223 wssm's didn't shoot well until they got up to around 69 grains of bullet.
Nosler, how about making a 22 cal ballistic tip boattail in 60 to 65 grains?
Berger has the best selection of 22 cal bullets, but I don't like their prices. And Hornady doesn't do that weight in boattail. Barnes has a high BC boattail in 60 grains, but their price is absurd.
Anyone have any comments. And don't knock the wssm's (the moderator over at ShortMags does enough of that), my 243 wssm is purt'near a tack driver.

You might want to try the 55gr BT, its a little longer than the 50 gr BT.

JD338

I've got 4 different varmint rifles in various 22 ceterfires, but they all have 1 in 14" barrel twists so I do nicely with both the 50 and 55gr. Nosler Bal.Tips. What about Sierra? They make good, accurate varmint bullets. Do they make anything in the weights you want? I agree about the Bergers. They're excellent, but too darn expensiuve for my tastes. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Try the Sierra 65gr Gamekings. These things hit like a sledge hammer and will dang near punch through a 1/2" thick steel plate at 200 yards from a standard 22-250 with a 1-9" barrel. According to Rich Machholz at Sierra, these were originally designed for the Aussies for shooting Roo's, and as such have a thicker jacket than most .224cal bullets of similar weight.

Not sure what powders you'd use for the WSSM, but the my 22-250 and 22-250AI both love these bullets with a well stoked charge of H4350.

Thanks for all the help, Guys. The 50 grain bullets in my 1 in 10 twist didn't do worth a hoot. Hornady 60 grain flat base bullets were decent. I 'bit the bullet' and bought some 62 grain Barnes TSXs and I got a .63" group and I'm still developing. But those Barnes are expensive. It appears that longer bullets do better in my wssm. I'm going to try 65 grain Gamekings next. But I think a 60 grain Ballistic Tip with a boattail would be a nice combination of length and not too much weight. (I'm trying to keep the velocity above 3700 fps.

Back