Noslers new RDF 105 in the 243

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Seams like I remember an old Outdoor Life article about " testing twist" so went back and found it. (2007) I realize that an 8 twist is recomended for these bullets but bought some anyway to try in my 243 T/C Venture Predator rifle,
Here is what Jim Carmichael, had to say when they tested some 105 Bergers in a 1/10 twist barrel:

"But there was still more to be discovered about the peculiarities of rifling twist. For instance, of the two VLD bullets that performed so miserably in the 1-in-12-inch barrel, the 105-grain Berger now grouped beautifully in the ½-inch range while the 107-grain Sierra lobbed 6-inch groups and made elliptical holes in the target. Why would two almost identically shaped bullets, both well-made and differing in weight by a scant two grains, perform so differently?"

Since my new Venture, has Thompsons unique 5 groove rifling in a 1/10 twist, I thought I would try Jims theory and "give them a spin" I will post my test results, to follow.....
E

Earl back in the 1960's my Dad gave me a used Marlin 30-30 with the microgroove barrel. It would shoot Remington-Peters ammo into nice groups and spray Winchester ammo all over the place most of the bullets key holing on the target at 50yds. I didn't reload rifle ammo at that time and could only shoot factory ammo so I was a little upset with this rifle and 15yrs latter sold it to someone who paid me more than I thought it was worth. One of the few rifles I've sold that I should have kept.

I think elevation, stability factor, length of the bullet and the actual twist of the barrel. I know some barrels are advertised as being one thing but actual measured twist could be different.

The other part of the equation is even if the bullet shoots decently, but isn't fully stabilized the BC is going to be reduced since it'll be oscillating as it flys.

RATS, you may have just ruined my theory Scotty...... dont you have something else to do !!!!! Like check the air in your tires ! Or go watch some " I love Lucy", reruns or something like that!!! :twisted: Dont you realize it is better to have dreamed and failed, than to never have drempt before!!! :lol: :lol:
TD,
He probably thinks he is the "twist police" :mrgreen:
Worst part is he is usually right!!!! :evil:
I hope they shoot "one ragged hole" @ 300yds so I can serve him some humble pie!!! :roll:

Easy Earl the EPA will be looking to regulate him for green house gas. If he ever went to Kalifornia he may never be heard from again. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HA! I just shoot a little now and again.. Not nearly as much lately though!

One bullet alot of folks miss is the 105 grain Hornady HPBT. It will stabilize in a 10 twist 243 without issues, is wickedly accurate, and the price cannot be beat. BC is just about as good as the old AMax was as well.

Also E, don't forget about the 95 grain Tipped MK.. It has excellent BC and should be a wicked expanding bullet. The 77's I shoot out of my 223 are very, very accurate and will kill deer and coyotes real well... I can't imagine the 95 grain TMK's will be any less deadly.. I'll be letting you know shortly... Just gotta get some loaded up.

I shoot the 105 Hornady from a factory Rem 1/9.125", it's a hammer. I was shooting at 600yds the other day and after a few rounds on the steel I took 1 shot at this small empty propane bottle with my 243/105 combo and then went back to steel with the .223 68gr match bullet. I'm sure it was pure luck, but it makes for a great story.

243 Win
105 Hornady BTHP
WW Brass
CCI 250
46.2grs H1000
620yds

Pure luck, or not, that constitutes bragging rights for any rifleman.

Very nice Heath.. It is a sleeper amongst the newer bullets, but it's pretty danged good in my opinion for shooting long with most 243's and 6mm's that don't have the twist for the longer bullets. Same for the 75 grain HPBT.

Well I am Extreamely disapointed......... The T/C barrel would not seam to stablize the bullets.......... AT ALL.
I loaded them with 40.5gr of 414 which was running about a 2950fps avg. I had loaded them in .5 increases from 39 gr
And I could have gotten easily out over 3k but was flabbergasted the way they shot.......
I guess I have 300 bullets to use as a door stop. :cry:

Good Job Heath ! Excellent shooting olde boy!

35 Whelen":gocbqmnb said:
Well I am Extreamely disapointed......... The T/C barrel would not seam to stablize the bullets.......... AT ALL.
I loaded them with 40.5gr of 414 which was running about a 2950fps avg. I had loaded them in .5 increases from 39 gr
And I could have gotten easily out over 3k but was flabbergasted the way they shot.......
I guess I have 300 bullets to use as a door stop. :cry:

Good Job Heath ! Excellent shooting olde boy!

I guess this means Scotty was right. Again. (y)
EE2

Dog gone Scotty! I hate it when he is right... :roll:
I am toooo embarrassed to post the size of the groups.
But will say I bet It would shoot .223s better than it does Nosler RDFs........... I was expecting 6" groups but most certainly not 6' ones :evil:

Scotty rules again. Good work sarge. ;)
Earle, you might try pushing that bullet as fast as you can,
just might get it to stabilize.

JD338

I don't think you could push them fast enough to stabilize.

What's the twist on the TC?

1/10......... Shot a bug eye with 70gr Varmageddons
Throw in a RDF and it hits in the snow about 5ft right of the target. I was quite surprised. I had a 38/40 when i was a boy that the bore was like a sewer pipe but it never shot this bad.
E

35 Whelen":13einy9y said:
1/10......... Shot a bug eye with 70gr Varmageddons
Throw in a RDF and it hits in the snow about 5ft right of the target. I was quite surprised. I had a 38/40 when i was a boy that the bore was like a sewer pipe but it never shot this bad.
E

You can't beat the science of it... it's always better to have too much rather than not enough :lol:

E, get you some of them cheapie 105 HPBT Hornadys... I think you'll see a difference.

Back