OAL bullet seating frustration

trapper10

Beginner
Jul 25, 2024
When I seat ballistic tips the OAL varies driving me nuts. If I use a bullet comparator it will give me the oal based on where the meplat or shoulder of the bullet is, correct?
Given that, how do I parlay that to seating bullets so that the distance to the lands is always the same?

Measuring from the ogive is more consistent than from the tip. Tips can vary somewhat but I haven't had any major issues with them. You can sort your bullets by measuring them, then put into separate groups. Load each group separately not combining them. Same as weighting them. Depends on what degree of accuracy you are wanting to obtain. Dan.

I always use a comparator to measure to the ogive, and ignore the location of the tip, so to speak.
It's the ogive that will hit the lands, not the tip, so if you keep the ogive in the same place you're doing the right thing.

The only time I pay attention to the tip is when I load a dud sample round to be sure it will fit in the magazine.

Use a chamber measure from Hornady or an empty case and put a lose bullet in it. Get a chamber measurement by measuring the ogive of the bullet then shorten it by .02 and see how that shoots and adjust if needed

Understood. The question is how do I adjust the seating die to seat bullets on the ogive. The seater does so where it contacts the bullet closer to the tip.

Some does you can get different seater plugs for VLD type boolits. I know Hornady makes them but not sure who else

Some brands of dies have a VLD seating stem as an option. You may find the bullet tip is bottoming out in the stem giving you a variant in measurement. This is where a VLD stem will help.

I have an RCBS seating die. I checked and cleaned out die,etc. The bullet tip does not bottom out for certain. Any other thoughts?

Have you checked a sample of bullet’s base to ogive before loading?
How much variance are you seeing in the loaded rounds?

I personally use the Frankford Arsenal universal micrometer seating die. It has VLD stems for everything from .22 to .338. With the micrometer adjustment, I'm typically within .001 of my target CBTO measurement.

How much variance are you getting?
I know this is grasping at straws but the amount of pressure on the press handle will cause some slight differences. Also just to cover you butt check your press and dies to insure everything is tight and not moving on you.

As I understand it, and I may not be.
You don’t need to seat it from the ogive.
The seating die is contacting the bullet just below the point.
The shape of the bullet it relatively uniform, bullet to bullet. It’s the tip that can change on a ballistic tip.
So where the die contacts the bullet, it is the same, bullet to bullet.
The measuring of the cartridge will be more consistent, ogive to ogive, than tip to tip, but from a seating point of view I don’t think the bullet doesn’t have to be seated from contact on the ogive.
Am I correct with this thinking - if it makes any sense at all….

I all ways look at it this way, the more surface the seating stem can contact the less likely the bullet will seat canted or crooked in the case neck. If the bullet is started crooked in the beginning it deform the case neck and case mouth.
See this in straight walled cases where it is more visible.
I modify all my seating stems or use stems for VLD target bullets that seat off the shoulder.
It is very important to start the bullet straight.

I have an RCBS seating die. I checked and cleaned out die,etc. The bullet tip does not bottom out for certain. Any other thoughts?
I generally don’t worry about exactly where the seater pushes on the bullet.

I seat bullets about 0.010 out from my target base-to-ogive length, then use the comparator to measure the actual base-to-ogive of the one I just did. Since I use micrometer seating dies, I then add the correct number of clicks (lines) to get the exact length when I re-seat the bullet. So, each one gets seated twice, the first time close and the second time exact. In this way each one is exactly the same length as any other.

If you don't have a micrometer seating die then there will be some variation in the base-to-olige length, as most bullets are not perfect. It's just a variable you have to live with, or buy the micrometer seater. Some bullets show much more variability in shape than others.

I generally don’t worry about exactly where the seater pushes on the bullet.

I seat bullets about 0.010 out from my target base-to-ogive length, then use the comparator to measure the actual base-to-ogive of the one I just did. Since I use micrometer seating dies, I then add the correct number of clicks (lines) to get the exact length when I re-seat the bullet. So, each one gets seated twice, the first time close and the second time exact. In this way each one is exactly the same length as any other.

If you don't have a micrometer seating die then there will be some variation in the base-to-olige length, as most bullets are not perfect. It's just a variable you have to live with, or buy the micrometer seater. Some bullets show much more variability in shape than others.
That answers my question. Thanks
What micrometer seating die do you use?
Hornady comparator ?

Hornady comparators, but I also own the Forster ones. Whichever you like, just learn to use it.

The Redding micrometer seating stems can be swapped between various cartridges using their standard dies, so you can save some money that way. There is a list or chart on their website that shows which ones share. I have not had any issues using a VLD type seater for normal bullets, FYI.

I have some of those, but for my most often reloaded cartridges I just purchase the sets that have a body die and micrometer seating die already in them. It all depends how much you want to spend. Many of these sets I have picked up on sale or better yet gently used, for much less than list.

Back