Odd Sized Bullets in Box of CT Silver Tips

USMCDM24

Beginner
Oct 9, 2007
So I purchased some 130 gr Nosler CT Ballistic Silver Tips in .277 to try out. After seating a couple of bullets I came across a bullet that was about .257. Thinking it was a fluke since it was a factory sealed box I kept on loading & came across 4 more of these bullets ranging from .250 to .265. I love Nosler for their high standards & great ammunition so this seems highly out of place for their bullets. Anybody else have the same problems before? Here's a picture of one of the bullets.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/Albu ... =120005115

Thats scary,what if some 284's got in with those 277's.should be enough resistance when seating the bullet to tell its over sized I guess,would hate to find out the hard way.Never had that happen to me (knock on wood). :shock:

USMCDM24

Call Shoots Pro Shop, 800 285 3701 and explain the problem to them.

They will explain what has happened and make it right with you.
Let us know what they say.

JD338

Fortunately they were undersized & I caught them because I went to put the bullet on the case before seating & they fell right inside the case. I was only loading a batch of 20 for testing at the range today so I decided to pull out 20 (actually a total of 24 due to the other undersized bullets in the box) & measure them all before loading. Except for the couple I found, the rest were .277" on the dot and there was only .001" variance on the length when measured with a comparator. I guess as with anything else strange things happen regardless of the degree of quality assurance so I will continue reloading Noslers as their performance is second to none. Just wanted to know if anybody else had something like this happen to them.

Does anybody know what would of happened if he fired a round off with a smaller sized bullet. Just wondering I loaded up some accubonds for a 270 and 30-06 I went to the range and my friend brought his 30-06 along and chambered a 270 round and was about to fire when I noticed a 270 round missing and stopped him. I have seen a 7mm fired out of a 338 win and the gun ended up in two pieces.

thanks Aaron

A smaller diameter bullet would probably not cause any damage or injury. But, I only made this mistake once and learned real quick only to set one box of reloads on the bench per caliber shooting at the time. Believe it or not I shot a 7mm08 in my 30-06. Made a very abnormal bang and I knew right away something wasn't right. The case tried to stretch to 30-06 size but separated of course. Luckily, I was able to rod the neck out of the chamber easily and it did not damage the gun. Had it been a larger caliber, hopefully it wouldn't have chambered. If it had, I might not be here to tell about it right now.

I still take multiple rifles to the range but only have one gun and the propper ammo on the bench!

Back