Old Brand H Bullets

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
I've got the itch again Gents, and dusted off a lot of my RCBS components. This will be the first year my kid is old enough to hunt here in CO, and want him to have a lot of trigger time before the season is here. We're covered on the big game calibers, but thought it would be great to pull out an old ( but like new ) .17 Remington for him to shoot all summer.

My Dad went a little over board in the early 70's when the gun was purchased, as he thought they would quit producing brass & bullets for it. Needless to say, I have 1500 25gr Hornady bullets in the old white wrapped 500 ct bricks. Being a CO native, and the bullets always residing here, I have to say I was a bit shocked when I opened the first box - lots of tarnish / corrosion on the bullets. We generally don't see the humidity here in CO most others do, but suspect the 35 years could get to them.

I've contacted Hornady and sent them photos, but wanted other input. I threw a box of 100 in my tumbler and let them go for a bit. Has the integrity of the bullet been compromised due to the corrosion, or since the tarnish on the outside has been removed within the tumbler, are they good to go? Photo with the six standing has 3 on the left that went through the tumbler, right 3 have not. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 404
It's great to see you back around buddy!

I'd load and shoot them all day long. I can't see any issue with them at all. Copper gets tarnished pretty easily so I'd imagine that's all your looking at.

Like Scotty, I would not hesitate to use tarnished bullets. In fact, I have done so with 150 grain .284 bullets in my .280 Rem on several occasions. Good to see your post.

Yup. I've loaded and fired plenty of old, "tarnished" bullets. No problem.

Guy

Mark,

Welcome back buddy.
As already mentioned, they will be just fine. Both you and your son should have a lot of fun turning those bullets into dust.

JD338

Thanks Gents!
Great to still see everyone here.
All the brass is prepped & ready for powder, so I'll start tonight. Hope to make it to the range tomorrow, so will post how it does.

I have several boxes of pre-Interlock bullets and they look a heck of a lot worse than yours. They shoot just fine. Half my boxes of Sierra bullets have the California address on them. They shoot just fine as well even if they do look ugly as sin. How old are they?
Paul B.

I originally called Hornady and they requested the lot number. After giving it to them, it wasn't coming up in their system, so they requested photos of which I've sent and just waiting a response.

If I had to guess...... 35years old.
A bit odd however - guessing the cardboard absorbs moisture, as the bullets have been in the same room as the loaded ammo all these years. There are loaded ones in the 50ct plastic boxes - same vintage that still look new.

Back