Old time Alaskan Guide from 1950s

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011

Do yourself a favor and listen to what One of the all time Legends still living, talks about 75 years hunting & fishing the "GreatLand". He is an old friend of mine, used to see him alot on the rivers, the " real deal". For sure.

He is some character, he used to tell us "young fellas" some wild story's about the old days, 40 years ago! I have always had a huge respect for him, as a premiere guide and as a highly regarded fellow pilot! Luv is tales of early Alaska when you could shoot and fly same day, their association with the Eskimo's and of course his great bear hunting stories. Most folks on here should find this movie a classic.
E

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240801_093914_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240801_093914_Samsung Internet.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 11
He is some character, he used to tell us "young fellas" some wild story's about the old days, 40 years ago! I have always had a huge respect for him, as a premiere guide and as a highly regarded fellow pilot! Luv is tales of early Alaska when you could shoot and fly same day, their association with the Eskimo's and of course his great bear hunting stories. Most folks on here should find this movie a classic.
E
That is a hell of a bull

It’s a great video so far. Have it playing in the background as we move dirt today.

I remember the shoot and fly days on the Naknek. Our first pilot had guys and standby, he would call them up, pick them up at the airport and fly out and back in a few hours. One time I recall he flew over our place just as a herd was swimming the river. He circled around and came up to the dock. His clients got out grabbed their rifles. None had boots on. Another group of caribou came over the hill down to the river bank and they opened up, dropped three decent bulls right on the edge of the river. Alaska version of road hunting.

For me it's a breath of fresh air to listen to someone that has really been there and done it all. Ron sent me a copy of his first movie production he released in 1964 I think, it was called " Alaska Safari" loaded with scenes from hunting camp, kill shots, taken all over Alaska with spectacular scenery. Done in that Era style of movie, similar to stuff Gordon Eastman did at the same time. Both Ron and Gordon showed their movies from coast to coast in lower 48 states. Lots of folks got their first taste of Alaska at those viewings.
Neat old stuff, wonderfully to be able to look back in time.
E

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240712_171617_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240712_171617_Dropbox.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1
Back