Old, used, cracked neck.........cheap? NOW 300 SAUM brass

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
Project brass.

Looking for a few or 10 or 20 used,( split neck, almost wore out since they wont be fired is dandy since cutting anyway,) 375 Remington Ultra mag brass.

Aint the wildcatting chit fun? AND ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!!!!? I've had so much fun with the 350JR that a 375JR wont get out of my head! Not much of a rebated rim fan but also admit I've never used a round with it so.......keeping an open mind plus need more capacity for a SHORT .375.

Even two would help at this early part of the game.

Any other of the .532 bolt face and .550-.555 body diameter (aka 404 Jeffery family) that is unusable but can be used for comparison in wall thickness, etc........also acceptable, but the 375 RUM has my attention at the moment since the same bore/neck.

Unsure how much difference there is in wall thicknesses down the body so need to look at some. Turning will be mandatory anyway, but looking never-the-less.

Going to pick one up soon so, also an unwanted 375 RUM Redding trim die is of interest till I pull the trigger on one.

I think I need a heavier press too in time...... :p

God Bless
Steve :wink:

Steve,

What do you have up your sleeve buddy? :)

JD338

Always the "big bore" lover/fanatic and regardless how much I love this new 350JR......I got this THING in my head about building a 1.8 inch case (Indiana legal) .375 bore rifle. The trajectory queens (my name for those worrying about 2 inches of drop at 300 yards.......that we hardly ever shoot) will have a stroke, and know for FACT that I'm totally nutso. LOL

A 1.8" case RUM, 235 gr Speer or 225 Hornady......my calculations show 2600 fps shouldnt be much of a chore. Smith is building some "test chambers" before long. Capacity guesstimates at this time are running 63-66 grains.

Lots (ok, most) wont have a use......eh, not building one for them either.
Every since I saw that .72 wide mushroomed 235 Speer in the bullet test forum......my brain has been running in circles.

So Im a rifle looney.......keeps me occupied. "NEED" one? hardly Fun? oh........YEAH!

With a brake though :lol: The 375JR
Thought I'd see who had some junk brass before ordering a 100 then changing my mind on the parent round. :wink:

GodBless!

350JR":3fjdjnfv said:
Always the "big bore" lover/fanatic and regardless how much I love this new 350JR......I got this THING in my head about building a 1.8 inch case (Indiana legal) .375 bore rifle. The trajectory queens (my name for those worrying about 2 inches of drop at 300 yards.......that we hardly ever shoot) will have a stroke, and know for FACT that I'm totally nutso. LOL

A 1.8" case RUM, 235 gr Speer or 225 Hornady......my calculations show 2600 fps shouldnt be much of a chore. Smith is building some "test chambers" before long. Capacity guesstimates at this time are running 63-66 grains.

Lots (ok, most) wont have a use......eh, not building one for them either.
Every since I saw that .72 wide mushroomed 235 Speer in the bullet test forum......my brain has been running in circles.

So Im a rifle looney.......keeps me occupied. "NEED" one? hardly Fun? oh........YEAH!

With a brake though :lol: The 375JR
Thought I'd see who had some junk brass before ordering a 100 then changing my mind on the parent round. :wink:

GodBless!

That sounds cool Steve! I like the sounds of it!

Probably more interesting to me than anyone else on the planet but I'm ok with that.

I have memories back to when I could first read and driving my poor ol Dad insane by jumping up and down every time I saw a magazine with something on the 375 H&H and the type of hunts that were always included with it's use.

That stuck with me till in my 30s and even though I live in Indiana I picked up a reasonably priced 700 Rem in one (reasonable THEN......CHEEEEEEEEEEAP NOW) just to shoot and then common sense (bills) bit me and I sold it. Hot dang if I had that NOW? UH......prices went up? :shock: Even after all these years I've still got a couple old rounds laying around.

Always a kid I suppose or maybe I'm hitting second childhood?

Anyway.......I often tell the boys that "Dad is on Safari" this weekend, meaning I'm off to the woods.....don't expect me to answer the cell phone OR reply to txt till I get time.

Can't handle it..........On top of never ever thinking I'd be able to hunt Indiana with a 700 Rem bolt gun......a self made round in .375 would make it just that much more sweet.

Wont be working full time much longer and PLANS are to just work part time or whatever to set back some funds for fun and games (I live alone) and maybe a trip west for "bigger deer" can still be in the cards. Health issues probably kill that bang-flop dead but ......still "in the cards" in my HEAD :)

Planning and building the 350JR was about as much fun as I can recall that I've enjoyed for a decade or so.

I figure summer time load tests with TWO rounds can only be twice as much fun as one.

I also have to admit that, evil ol fart that I am, I get a chuckle out of people (the local "experts") walking away from me shaking their heads in my "stupidity" when they find out what I'm up to. Praise the Lord this type of attitude no longer upsets me, but instead brings additional snickers to my life.

NOTHING works ya know, if they dont approve it. :mrgreen:

God Bless
as always, I appreciate YOUR opinions and info on stuff involved. Makes a difference to me when the people offering advice at least HAVE big bore rifles. :wink: About ONE percent of those here have ever HELD one, let alone SHOT it.

Steve

350JR, I like the way ya thunk things! Send me an address and I'll donate a handfull of 375 RUMs...

Why not just call them trajectory guys? Calling them "queens" is disrespectful and not in the spirit of eliciting much help from others. This especially to weun's who live out west and have to live with some trajectory constraints. Don't need the derogatory names from somebody that I don't even know!

Oldtrader3, "trajectory "queens"" is disrespectful? How? And us that live out west have to live with trajectory contraints? Derogatory names? You, my "Old" friend are way out to lunch on your misplaced criticisim. "Trajectory Queens", as to those that "think" flatter is the only way to go? My western trajectory contraints are only limited to my ability to shoot out to maximum of the cartridge I'm shooting. You have consistantly shown yourself to be way too sensitive to ideas that don't conform to your "limited" ideals of what is "correct" in the shooting/hunting circles. Restrain yourself, and, please, stop your being so critical of others, as you have so often, and so readily shown yourself to be.

(Don't mean to offend/belittle others, but enough is enough!)

Steve,

Sounds like a cool project.

I sure wish MI would relax the regulations in Zone III. Shotgun, ML or straight walled handgun cartridge only and I live 3 miles south of the rifle zone! :(

I just read over at Marlin Owners where a fella was shooting a 45-70 shortened to 1.8" out of a M1895.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70 ... -hunt.html
I would love to be able to walk out back with my 45-70. :)

JD338

I meant no honest disrespect in the above for those ONLY interested in trajectory here locally.

What I meant to point out was that so many here think something that is not flatter shooting than the existing wildcats is not even worth discussing.....let alone building, REGARDLESS of caliber chozen.

Seriously Ive seen them snub ME to the point with quotes like "WHY build the 350JR? XYX wildcat is faster and shoots 2 inches flatter at 300 yards". (no matter it was 500 dollars more to build) Even after explaining that that particular build was to meet or beat the 358Win and match the 358WSSM (AND be in a 700 Rem) and do so MUCH less costly....was pointless to them.

Trajectory is SO important here, discussing even a heavier bullet will have you ending up talking to yourself. Forget BC, Forget retaining energy........."lighter is faster, lighter is better". Most are complaining because they cant shoot a 3600 fps 243 bullet. Yes......that would work. Mandatory for a great round?....it's not. Not to ME anyway. My thoughts run a bit broader.

The fact is, IMHO ONLY, that 2 inches at 300 yards is less than MOA. I REALLY DOUBT ( also my opinion only) that there are very many THAT good that they can even HOLD a shot under a MOA at ANY range without a bench or at least only prone shots. It's difficult for MOST of us average guys to do so WITH a bench. Hunting?......uh, not. HERE in Indiana, 2 inches at 300 yards? You'd normally have to SET UP for that range to even GET a 300 yard shot......in an open cornfield.(YEP.....I'm doing just that after Xmas..I HOPE, LOL) If a group 2 inches higher would save the day......I failed. I just didnt know my trajectory or just made a bad shot.

YES......for LONG range guys out west where 300 isnt even long range......the flattest rounds have a place helping with any issues in ranging errors.

To balance the scale, I would be a "knock down power Queen". :grin: Two inches at 300 TO ME......isnt worth building a rifle for, BUT I know of some doing EXACTLY THAT. Bird of a different feather is all, but not once.....have I ever intentionally been insulting discussing MY feelings on such equations.

I apologize for any taking it as TRULY insulting. :oops:

I have never intentionally insulted anyone's choice in rounds or reasons for such but have had that thrown in my face repeatly and also indicated above (perhaps that was missed?) it is the norm for them to snicker and walk off shaking their heads. WHOM was being insulting? As mentioned, at my age, having seen JUST about all the types out there, such actions no longer even insult me. I just write it off as a pointless discussion.

Some are just more impressed with lazer like trajectory than I am. Chosing between that with a lighter caliber/bullet and another that slaps the critter sideways and I know which I'D grab.. :p Ive never seen anything "too dead".

Sorry Ol Trader.......no toes were intentionally stepped on. Feel free to ignore me if if I have crossed any barriers.

God Bless
Steve
PM on the way TRIC. Many many thanks. I owe ya one. I've a buddy outside Edmonds that is a kindred spirit and old old friend of mine who is an Indiana transplant who moved out there in 1980. While not a hunter, he talks to me DAILY about my rounds and is as excited over a 375 build as I AM! lol

Steve, you have said, done nothing to upset me in any way. I tried to even pitch in and help you with loads and Powley Computer calulations early on. You, it seems are not my problem!

Tric, pour some water on your jets! You know nothing about me, this is the internet for heavens sake, get a grip! Why is it that younger people now always resort to name calling instead of problem solving, does that fit you Tric? I did not call you anything BTW, so back off!

I read the Bellingham Herald on line every day and about 12 younger adults (Gen Y'ers) think that they control public opinion. They demean, name call and make fun of anybody who is a veteran, Christian, Republican, or loves their country. I get really tired of Gen Y'ers who think the control the world or, heaven forbid, public opinion! Back it up with an original thought or back off!

I guess it WAS a poor choice of words. "Queen" may inadvertently insult someone's uh........ dating inclinations?.......uh....choice in significant other? :oops: Yeah.....THAT.

I'm OLD........I dont think that way but it WAS pointed out to me. Yikes. :shock:

Politically correct........I AM NOT!

Don't get me started on that. We will be here all night and it's almost 1:30 AM NOW!

Glad I wasn't too insulting to YOU,ol friend. I wouldnt be intentionally.

God Bless
Steve

Steve, point taken, I am old and certainly am "politically incorrect", that, given the modern intepretation of the term. However most people who consider me so are not people that I want to know, be associated with, or care about! So relax and if I can help somehow with your .375 JR Short or whatever, let me know.

buckfever":1duj8aga said:
How come you don't just neck up your 350JR to 375 that might be kind of cool.

Thought of that and it would be ok. Certainly would work. Deer wouldnt know the difference, Im sure.

Somewhat kind of goal is to throw the bigger bore, slightly heavier lightweights of the .375 caliber at the same velocity or more than the 350JR so, looking at a slightly larger capacity to do that

No real "point" to it other than personal wishes to make two calibers with similar trajectories, just one larger than the other.

I believe the 350JR is nipping at the heals of the 35Whelen but in a short action. The 375JR could come even closer to the 375-06 (.375 Whelen), again, in a short action

Purpose? na.....Just something I want to do. Other wildcats being built here are strictly for whitetail and our present rules in Indiana. I did one, based on economical methods. While they certainly are capable of MORE than deer too, the 375JR isnt just targeting the Indiana whitetail. IF it meets expectations, there isnt much I can imagine hunting that it wouldnt have all I can use, in decent ranges but YEAH, I'll use it for deer. 8)

Maybe in 2314 someone will read this and want a short action 375 for zombie bear or......something. :grin:
God Bless
Steve

Maybe in 2314 someone will read this and want a short action 375 for zombie bear or......something.

Wow! :shock: The future sure sounds exciting! :shock: I think I'm glad I won't be here to see that! :mrgreen:

The IN law states 1.800" case. Man that has me thinking although it doesn't do me any good here in MI. :cry:

The 300 Savage would be a good candidate as the case is 1.871". The 25 WSSM is another with a case length of 1.670". And then there is the 45-70 and 450 Marlin with the case shortened to 1.800".
Man, a fella has all kind of options 100 mikes south of me. :mrgreen:

JD338

Back in the BP days they went up and down with the basic .45 (.45-70 case) and established length and necking to suit what the wanted to do. I would imagine that you could take a BP case and just shorten it to 2.00 and neck it to whatever and develop a smokeless load for it?

Back up. Most know the 350JR came out "ok" with a little "Smith vs Me" confrontation about neck length but it is doing fine and still in use by a buddy.

The 375 thing took over my brain.

Looking for same (used, too short, etc) 300 SAUM brass. The 375 RUM will work but "PRETTY SURE" the 300 SAUM will be easier to mess with......and norma and nosler make it too for down the road.

Going to look for some 375 RUM dies OR a single sizing die, or single neck sizing die (cheap ones!!) in another month. (Truck killed my budget, what little there was left of it) New radiator, fuel filter, plugs , brakes...and FUEL PUMP. SUCH a good idea to have the pump inside the tank........WOW. Only 500 bucks for a new one installed.

At any rate, no rush as financing the project will be a task for 2014 but my head is wrapped around something I can't let go of.

Thanks once again for the past help, future help and for not laughing in my face (behind my back is ok....used to it)

Only trade stuff I have is 50 cast 250 grain Saeco 358 cal gas check/lubed/ sized bullets (#352) if there is a desire. Not worth much and shipping is a PIA but they are on the table. I wont be using them. Probably have other ju..........er I mean stuff around too. I'll look.

Don't need many. Just need such in hand for measuring and altering as need be.

God Bless
Steve

God Bless

Back