ONE RIFLE FOR ALL BIG GAME IN THE WORLD?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What is your pick? Your scope choice?

This should be fun. 8)

Marlin 45-70. The 45-70 will kill anything that needs to be killed if you choose your bullet and your distance.

For a scope, Leupold 2-8 will serve you well.

That or I would cheat with my T/C Encore and have any caliber I want to go with that one rifle :lol:

You are determined to generate controversy! :lol: :wink: Nevertheless, it is fun. I'd tend to look toward the Ruger 375, partly because I don't have one. For a scope, since it would be used for big game around the world, and since I am going blind (requiring bifocals, etc.), I need enough scope to reach out to 250 yards or so for whitetail, mule deer and elk, and yet be able to take close shots, I'd go with a Leupold 2.5-8 x 36 VariX-3.

TScottW99":1r5r3vj8 said:
Marlin 45-70. The 45-70 will kill anything that needs to be killed if you choose your bullet and your distance.

That or I would cheat with my T/C Encore and have any caliber I want to go with that one rifle :lol:

What happens when you draw a killer antelope or sheep tag?
:shock:

Dr. Mike and I are sharing a brian on this one. The 375R is an extreamly usefull round. Loaded down, loaded up with solids there isn't anything that it or a 375 H&H can't do. Mine is currently topped with a VXIII 2.5-8 and I find it to be a perfect fit for what I do with that rifle.

Well, since your title states "in the world", you'd have to go with a 375 something for Africa. Optics may require a couple of scopes, but I think a 2.5-8x36 would have just about all the bases covered unless "long range" hunting in NA is what you like.

POP":3gqre9tp said:
What is your pick? Your scope choice?

This should be fun. 8)
.....................Fun along with some varying opinions I might add!

My vote here goes to any of the 375s. Which 375 depends on one`s individual rifle preferences in rifle OAL, the amount of recoil one wishes to handle, the rifle balance, handiness, speed and so on!

Primarily because of the rifles offered, my personal choice and favorite 375, is the 375 Ruger.

It does not have the punishing recoil of the 378 Wby or RUM, costs less, equals 24" and 25" barreled 375 H&H ballistics from a 20" barrel and even more so from the Hawkeye African`s 23" tube.

For Africa, one can al;ways plan ahead with the outfitter to have plenty of 375 Ruger ammo on hand should the reloads get lost in transport. Besides that, 375 Ruger factory ammo is being distributed in S/Africa, as Hornady has gotten approval for distribution rights in various provinces with more approvals on the way. Also, S/African outfitters are ordering 375 Ruger rifles.

The 375 caliber along with its range capabilities imo, offers the best overall (one caliber) balance for the world`s big game, whether from deer, elk, moose, big bears, African plains game and with the right bullet, any African dangerous game as well.

The 416s and 458s are better on the dangerous game in closer quarters, but they won`t match the versatility on down the game ladder quite like the 375s.

If given one scope choice, the best overall (do-all) hunting magnification for a 375 imo, would be the 1.75-6x32 VX3. It is lighter, more compact, lower profiled and a near perfect magnification for all 375 cartridges and their range capabilities. No underscoping or overscoping!

POP":1g2cgsg2 said:
TScottW99":1g2cgsg2 said:

What happens when you draw a killer antelope or sheep tag?
:shock:
...............AIM HIGH????? LOL!!!!!.........

Richracer1":1mc3v3ji said:
Well, since your title states "in the world", you'd have to go with a 375 something for Africa. Optics may require a couple of scopes, but I think a 2.5-8x36 would have just about all the bases covered unless "long range" hunting in NA is what you like.

Your 375 RUM should rock! And your choice of scopes is great.

375 pick your flavor with a very good quality 2-8, 3-9 scope.

My do evything rifle is being built right now.

375 RUM with 24" barrel and going to top it with a ziess 2.5-8 scope with qd rings and back up peep sight. Hoping to keep it in the 8-8.5 pound range.

It will be the twin to my 300 rum that has 3-9 ziess but no open sights.

Thank GOD this is only for fun, one rifle for the world just doesn't work for me. Caliber restrictions make it difficult to just have one but I'll play along. My one gun for the world pick would be....

375 RUM with a Leupold VX3 2.5x8x36mm scope with M1 dials.

JD338

Yep, would also have to go with a 375 RUM w/brake, for 2 different reasons of my own. It will handle anything in this universe with a good 300g bullet, and it will also suffice as an 800 yard LR rifle in NA loaded with a 260g AB.

As for scopes, I'll be the odd man out on this one. I'm gonna go with a VX3 or MK4 4.5-14x50, I"m not much into low power scopes and theres nothing a 3x scope can do that I couldn't do with a 4.5x, plus I still have the option of 14x for longer range shots.

Seems like that would fit the bill very nicely for my needs if I could only have or use 1 rifle.

Well, I do know that the big rifle will kill little critters and the small caliber rifles will not kill the big critters. I would probably go with a 375 H & H because of its popularity and ammunition availability on most continents. It will kill elephants to squirrels. :grin: :grin:

Well, POP. Mine is already set up. 375 RUM, custom glass bedded stock, FXII 6x w/ Leupold Dot. Loaded, weighs in at exactly 8 pounds.

Forgot to mention a swarovski 1.5 X 6 X 42 PH 30mm riflescope. I want the best scope available since this is my only rifle. :grin: :grin:

Forgot to mention a swarovski 1.5 X 6 X 42 PH 30mm riflescope.

Excellent choice. I just places a 1.1-4.4 x 36 Kahles on my .356. It is certainly clear. The Swarovski is an excellent choice.

In truth I an intrigued with the 375 Ruger...... hmmmm.

375 Rum with a good Holland style brake. You said scope & not scopes, so with only one scope I would use a 2.5X10 Leu., 10X will work for Deer at 800 yds. even though more mag. is better & 2.5 will work up close for all but a few dangerous animals up close & because of that I want the quick detach leu. rings or Warne Tact. that I could remore & use the express sights on the Ele, Water Buff. If I could use 2 scopes I would go with the
1.75X6 with Q/Detach/express sights & 4.5X14 with Warne Tact. rings.

I hear that Barnes has some experimental 350gr. TSX?Solid, though not sure.

My one gun would also be a 375. I am really indifferent to the 375 Ruger or H&H. I like the new Winchester M70 Safari Grade in 375, and I like the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger. Seems either would do most stuff with 250-260gr bullets and everything with 300gr bullets. I would top it with the 1.75x6 Leupold in QD mounts so I could use the sights if needed. Wished I could come up with something different than the 375, but it really makes the most sense for an all around hunting rifle. Scotty

Back