open sights and Cowboy Shooting

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
1. does anyone hunt with open sights anymore and if so with what rifle and what animals ?

2. Is anyone here involved in Cowboy shooting ?

1. Have taken deer w/ a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt w/ factory sights and with a peep. It wears the peep permanently now. Uberti Lightning in 357 with factory sights. Ruger #3 in 45-70 with factory sights. If you count peep sights I use a Ruger MkII RSI in 308 Win and a Savage 99 in 300 Savage. Also Blackhawks in 357 & 45 but not in the rifle category. Also shotguns w/ slugs (pumps & single shots) but again not rifles...

2. Nope. I have the equipment but not the interest enough to pursue it.

john

1. yes, the win 71, everything within its range

2. we have a lot of indians up here but no cowboys. also hand guns are not as easily used, owed, transported, etc in Canada as they are in the states. Contrary to popular believe, you can own and use a handgun in Canada, but the rules are much different than in the States.

I would not be able to hunt much without a scope these days. But years ago I enjoyed hunting with an unscoped rifle and pistol

My husband and I really enjoyed ourself during the time we participated in the CMSA. We were in Arizona at the time and had the horses and the .45's already, so we bought some clothes and and traded our horse trailer for a two horse trailer with a live in section in the front of the trailer. We had a ball, as the people in those clubs were very down to earth and a lot of fun. I don't believe we ever won a single match but we had a great time.

Europe":1kw2hjjm said:
I don't believe we ever won a single match but we had a great time.

And that would be what the sport is all about. Pity I haven't time to participate in this. Does Santa Claus carry firearms? :?

hunternyny":165iqwci said:
1. does anyone hunt with open sights anymore and if so with what rifle and what animals ?

I certainly have, but not often in recent years. Mostly mule deer, with either:

.50 cal traditional muzzle loader
.45/70 Marlin Guide Gun
.30-30 Marlin 336

Have also popped a couple of doe mule deer with my open-sighted .44 mag S&W revolver.

Guy

I am hunting with a TC Renegade .54 with open sights deer hunting this week.
I also have a Marlin 39A with a Williams Peep Sight.
I also shoot several handguns with open sights.

No, I do not shoot cowboy action, but I have taken game from varmints, to small game (both .22 rf) to deer with iron sights. The deer were with a Sav. 99 .300, Sears 20 ga (bead smoothbore), and a Mosin Nagant M44 carbine. I will likely be doing some tight cover hunting this year with a Mannlicher Schoenaur carbine or the M99, both wearing irons.

I have also fired thousands of rounds to 600 yards with an AR-15 and A2 national match sights, as well as hundreds of match rounds at 200 with various Swiss, Swedish, and Finnish military bolt actions. Also a couple of matches with an M1 Garand to 600 yards and some Swiss matches with issue iron at 300m from a K-31.

I shoot a .54 flintlock and a .40 flintlock, both with open sights.
Also several pistols.
But my eyes are getting older and soon I will be forced to figure something else out.

I have hunted with a few peep sight equipped rifles but the one used most often is my encore prohunter 209x50.

It adds a lot of excitement to the hunt.
c09cb616903ea46018373a60c98a5354.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

open sights:

338-06ai so far a couple groundhogs and a coyote but I take it bear hunting and deer hunting, I don't take it when I have to count points deer hunting in PA but if I remember to borrow my sister's binoculars this year then I may take it out if the weather is nice

Back