opions appreciated.

jr1968

Beginner
May 20, 2007
I'am thinking about getting a short action rifle for WT's, are deer range from
100 - 150 lbs.

most of my hunting is in timber with a few fields, most range would be
20 - 200 yrds.

Trying to decide on a .243 win. or 6.5 creed.

jr1968.

I would favour the 6.5 Creedmoor, although the .243 Win will have more options of factory ammunition. The 6.5 Creedmoor will allow some pretty Skookum loads, especially with hand loading.

Either would work. Don't over look the 7-08.

JD338

You live in some pretty flat country at the upper end of the finger lakes which I have driven all over when I owned my own rig not too long ago. I must say I think you are underestimating your deer size since I've seen some monsters roaming around your area in my travels along with some large black bears. A 7mm-08 would probably serve you better than either a 243 or 6.5 creed IMO.

I agree with the other gentlemen, a 7mm-08 with 120g NBT's or 140g Partitions would be perfect.

Of those two the 6.5 Creedmoor. We have a 260 and 6.5x55 and have never found them lacking, the 6.5 Creedmoor would be just as good.

For the size deer you have there, and distances you quoted,simply because of ammo availability, the .243 is going to work well for you. And with proper shot placement
You will find it hard to beat.

A Browning lever-action rifle in .308 can be an advantage if heavier game is encountered.

Jim

I'm a big fan of the 6.5's, and not a big fan of the 6 mm's, as I prefer the ability of using heavier than 100 grain bullets when larger game than deer may be encountered, such as bears in New York State.

I did take a moose this year with the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 143 ELDX and a cow elk, young moose and a stones sheep with the 6.5x55 in the past with 140 gr Partitions and X Bullets (besides white tails). Missed a nice mule deer with the 6.5x284 (my fault, not the rifle's) and have not yet taken anything with the 260.

If you decide on the 6.5, you will appreciate the cartridge. Hope you find it in the rifle of your choosing.

I sure like mine in the Browning X Bolt.

As mentioned above, the 7mm-08 is a great choice, as is the 250 Savage (harder to find ammo for at the moment, but not a problem if you hand load) and 257 Roberts.

Guy Miner":34x172bk said:
.30-30 lever action with a low-powered scope?

Just asking...

Guy
I was thinking Marlin 336 in 35 Rem... I can easily shoot well to 200 yards with mine.

I favor the 3030 open sites. I. Like stalking animal I'm hunting and get as close as I can .but that the way I hunt.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help, after some research the 243 seems just a little on the small
side for my application, not to open a can of worms with some.

But now it's down to the 6.5 creed and the 7-08. One thing I forget to add
it will also be used for varmints, crows and woodchucks.

jr1968.

jr1968":3r2kct3i said:
Thanks for your help, after some research the 243 seems just a little on the small

jr1968.

Creedmoor all the way for a dual purpose varmint/deer gun, 85 gr Sierra HP bullets on the small end and the 156 gr Norma Oryx or 160 gr Woodleigh for the heavyweights if necessary.

gerry":17aqvh9c said:
jr1968":17aqvh9c said:

jr1968.

Creedmoor all the way for a dual purpose varmint/deer gun, 85 gr Sierra HP bullets on the small end and the 156 gr Norma Oryx or 160 gr Woodleigh for the heavyweights if necessary.

How much "varmint" work do you want to do? Ive had a 7-08 and let it go (stupidly)_ because I couldn't find the variety of bullet weights I thought I needed. I was looking for off the shelf ammo. I don't really know what you bullet options are in the 6.5. But it seems to have the ballistics edge. Any of the options proposed will do what you want particularly if you're reloading. However, from my pursuing I think there are more bullet weights and choices in .243. Just my thoughts. A creedmore should be wonderful round, but is there a 60 gr bullet you can throw at prairie dogs for a day? CL

gerry":1ny9b8h2 said:
jr1968":1ny9b8h2 said:

jr1968.

Oooh..... somebody mentioned a 250 Savage :grin: :grin: THAT is what I use. It is PERFECT for what you want :lol: 100 gr BT's for deer and 75 gr V-max's for varmints. CL

If you were to consider a long action, I would go with a 25-06 and not look back. 85 gr BT for varmints and 115 gr BT for deer, 115 gr PT for deer and bear.

JD338

Back