Original Burris Fullfield Scope

Feb 18, 2011
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the original burris fullfield 1.75-5X20 scope?

I found one in gloss as new condition with box for $150.00 locally and thinking bout buying it...Don't need it now, but was thinking it was pretty good deal and would use it down the road. What are the optics like? How does it compare to more recent modern optics?

Idahotrophyhunter":1q2isupy said:
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the original burris fullfield 1.75-5X20 scope?

I found one in gloss as new condition with box for $150.00 locally and thinking bout buying it...Don't need it now, but was thinking it was pretty good deal and would use it down the road. What are the optics like? How does it compare to more recent modern optics?

I have one of those older Burris scopes, bought used about 6 or 7 yrs ago. I had it atop a Nicely done M98 in 8X57 and shot some warm loads through it; ~2600 FPS with a 196gr bullet. It's now on top of a M88 Carbine in .308. I had tried to mount it on top of a Marlin in .356, but it didn't agree with the ring set-up on that rifle. I also happen to own a very similar 2-5x20 Pentax Whitetails Forever scope. That has sat on top of a M673 in .350RM and is now atop a Marlin .444S. These scopes are obviously built by the same manufacturer (Burris) and look nearly identical in design.

Both these scope have been trouble-free and I would gladly buy another one or two of each, given the opportunity. I think both scopes are more clear and have better low light performance than a new VXI 1-4x20, by way of a comparison. Hope that helps some.

Attachments

• 444S with Pentax 2 - 5 scope.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 3,109
I have a few year old 2-7 Burris on top of my 358 Win. It is a great scope, clear, holds a zero well and works just as well as any VXI or II I have ever had. I like that power range you mentioned. Very nice scope for the lever guns.

When you say "original" Burris Fullfield scope, are you talking about the one which came out in 1979? Burris was an employee of the Redfield Scope Company in Denver prior to 1976. That early model had a luster finish and really short tube with a boxy eyepiece and knurled power ring? The eyepiece looked like a Bushnell Scopechief. I had one of the compact models and it was not very bright and not very sharp image. The Fullfield's were always larger and better optics. I had a 3-9x40 Fullfield in the late 1970's and it was a good scope for that time.

That is similar to the Fullfield which I had. The only issue for me would be coating brightness and maybe narrow field of view but with a 5X, field of view should not be an issue.

Idahotrophyhunter":34d8m2g9 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burris-13-4x5-Fullfield-Rifle-Scope-/330771661956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d03870484#ht_500wt_1414

The one I found locally is identical to this.

Mine has a slightly larger objective bell, like the Pentax in my picture. Labeled as Fullfield

the serial number is 021378...does this indicate a year? Also on the objective it DOES say fullfield, made in usa

The original Burris scopes were built in Denver CO. The S/N on that one is low and I would expect that it was sequencial at that time which may mean that the scope was most likely built in 1979-80. I do not know how many scopes a year they built and will look some more for year of manufacture.

This is the Burris I have. It's a matte finish (obviously) and the ocular bell is marked: "Fullfield 1.75-5 Made in USA". And like the nearly identical Pentax version, it also has a slightly larger objective "bell". The reticle is a duplex type and nicer to my eye than a regular Leupold duplex; slightly heavier.

Attachments

• securedownload-3.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 3,065
The first Burris Fullfields were gloss finish and (I believe) did not have the small bell on the objective lens for the 5X. That one is matte and has the bell. I would guess yours was made later? It does look just like my USA Pentax Whitetail scope which I bought new in about 1999.

I am sure you are correct. I bought mine used, but have been pleased with it's quality. My Pentax was also purchased used and ditto on performance for it as well. Although it may not have quite the eye relief of some of my low-power Leupolds, it's better than any of the 1" tube low powered Leupolds, but not on a par with the 30mm Leupolds I have. I wish I could find another Pentax at a good price, it's a nice scope.

Back