Outrageous Prices

I agree ... I remember when Dicks got on the woke bandwagon & decided to stop selling guns .... I have not been in their store since & refuse to give them one cent!

I haven't been in a Dicks store in several years either and for the same reason as you. As far as Im concerned Ed Stacks, the owner of Dicks can ride his high horse of anti second amendment prejudice off a cliff.

The ammo market has gotten much better and with a descent selection and not great pricing but descent pricing And coming down. We can only hope the reloading components come down as I do see more and more all the time, with primers really the only thing in very short supply and at three times the normal price.

I haven't been in a Dicks store in several years either and for the same reason as you. As far as Im concerned Ed Stacks, the owner of Dicks can ride his high horse of anti second amendment prejudice off a cliff.
You can add Field & Stream stores to this. Haven’t been to either for more than 5 years. They’re owned and operated by the same umbrella company.

Cabelas price.. I'm glad I've still got 2-3 bottles that I found on clearance a couple years ago. I think I paid 14 dollars per bottle.

View attachment 19274
Ever since Paul Singer of Elliot Management forced them to sell/merge, their prices have been outrageous. The last time I did any business with them, they had a promo going where I was able to get 130gr Accubonds for $25/box and Premium Brass for $30/box.

Did a day trip Friday and went into a small gun shop that had Blackhorn 209 powder for 69.00, That's not great but better than the last place I saw some. Dan.

This morning I went to a LGS that I haven’t visited in a while. Well they’re a little proud of their prices today. They used to be very reasonable , well times caught up with them too. 1lb were $45-$60 and 8lbs $419.99. They have Varget , H4350 and H1000 on the shelf , but no Alliant powders. Shelf full of Hornady bullets , but very little of anything else. I did leave with 1lb of AA2015.
IMG_3394.jpeg

You guys need to ease up on these retailers.

A retail store survives by it's retail customers.

Providing them #1...
what they need/want

#2...
getting it to them at a price fair market price to the consumer and profit to the store

The problem...availability.
The store can't sell a product if they can't get it.
It's meaningless. It's snipe hunting. Empty shelves mean nobody wins.

If the store normally gets powder from a supplier that trucks it to them with no hazmat and at a good price then all is fine and dandy.

If they can't get it like that they need to look elsewhere.

It's a real problem because the store either waits with empty shelves which is the worst thing for a retailer...or they get product even if ridiculously high...to have on shelf.
People are so quick to pull out the "gouging" card when most instances the retailer is just trying to fill empty holes on the shelf at a time when availability is an absolute nightmare.

These price comparisons between shops today is silly.

The market is not allowing a cake and eat it too experience.
Meaning it's available and it's cheap.
That's just not the market today. Sadly

You guys need to ease up on these retailers.

A retail store survives by it's retail customers.

Providing them #1...
what they need/want

#2...
getting it to them at a price fair market price to the consumer and profit to the store

The problem...availability.
Despite my tongue in cheek comment about AUD opposed to USD pricing this is true. businesses have base costs that are also impacted by inflation, including paying employees and feeding families. Add to that you tax system that makes little to no sense with all you different and irregular sales taxes it quickly adds up. A very simple and overly crude example of the impact of availability is that if a company needs to make $100 a month just to cover costs and the things it sells have a cost to them of $10 (not I said cost not their buy price they are different ) then he has to sell a minimum of 10 things per month. If his wholesaler is only giving him 5 at the same price he has always paid then his cost will double. His rent, wages, electricity bill etc don't decrease because stock availability decreases Don't pull my example apart, I am in small business and I know it is overly simplified, but it makes a point. Ultimately supply coupled with demand to meet a supply increase will drive down prices.

Oh and yes I know that there will always be people who price gouge but across the whole market they tend to be a relatively small number

Despite my tongue in cheek comment about AUD opposed to USD pricing this is true. businesses have base costs that are also impacted by inflation, including paying employees and feeding families. Add to that you tax system that makes little to no sense with all you different and irregular sales taxes it quickly adds up. A very simple and overly crude example of the impact of availability is that if a company needs to make $100 a month just to cover costs and the things it sells have a cost to them of $10 (not I said cost not their buy price they are different ) then he has to sell a minimum of 10 things per month. If his wholesaler is only giving him 5 at the same price he has always paid then his cost will double. His rent, wages, electricity bill etc don't decrease because stock availability decreases Don't pull my example apart, I am in small business and I know it is overly simplified, but it makes a point. Ultimately supply coupled with demand to meet a supply increase will drive down prices.

Oh and yes I know that there will always be people who price gouge but across the whole market they tend to be a relatively small number
What are you arguing or defending? I didn't quote you nor was my response of easing up on the retailer directed at you.

On the contrary...we've got a forum...not just thread...s forum full of people so quick to play the gouging card. It's littered all throughout this message board anytime someone shows how much shop "A" is selling brand "X" for the replies of gouging come storming in.

To which in most instances that's just simply not the case. Right now is a bad time to purchase certain goods(powder/primers) but keeping the shelf empty means far worse repercussions

What are you arguing or defending? I didn't quote you nor was my response of easing up on the retailer directed at you.

On the contrary...we've got a forum...not just thread...s forum full of people so quick to play the gouging card. It's littered all throughout this message board anytime someone shows how much shop "A" is selling brand "X" for the replies of gouging come storming in.

To which in most instances that's just simply not the case. Right now is a bad time to purchase certain goods(powder/primers) but keeping the shelf empty means far worse repercussions
???? I was in support of your position about easing up on retailers and your point about supply......wake up on the wrong side of the bed did we???? Not sure the point of your message otherwise.

???? I was in support of your position about easing up on retailers and your point about supply......wake up on the wrong side of the bed did we???? Not sure the point of your message otherwise.
Not at all and I assure you the tone of my text was anything and everything noble.

To add insult to injury I saw h1000 @ $99.99/lb. There's 8 available if someone wants them? I was doing a curious search via ammoseek. Depending on what you're loading for it can average $1/per just for powder. I'm glad my guns are allergic to the stuff

To add insult to injury I saw h1000 @ $99.99/lb. There's 8 available if someone wants them? I was doing a curious search via ammoseek. Depending on what you're loading for it can average $1/per just for powder. I'm glad my guns are allergic to the stuff
Whew!! Couple months back I picked up some H1000 for a member on here, 3 lbs if I remember correctly. Wasn't old price cheap, but nothing close to that! Without digging the slip out I believe it was $45.50 per lb tax included out the door. We traded powder for bullets. He got powder he couldn't find, or not at that price, and I got plenty more 35 caliber bullets I can use. Everybody happy.

In my younger years I went through a lot of powder and bullets. I was feeding the 7mm Mag. and 3 Ruger .44 carbines plus my Superblackhawk, and a assortment of smaller calibers the wife and kids used. But things change, the wife and kids basically quit shooting as they grew older and got into football and cheerleaders (the boys, not the wife) leaving me with a surplus that took years to shoot up. Except for a new can of IMR 4350 I'm still shooting older primers and cases
I bought the IMR 4350 when I began working up loads for my then new 300 Win. Mag. It didn't take long to realize things had changed for the worse. So I got it under control by applying some older thinking to the problem. Such as, don't shoot unless you know you have a good shot, one shot, one kill, one bullseye, shoot just enough to accomplish your mission for that day, and varied sayings like that. From my years in the martial arts I have retained strong self control and that along with changing my thought process allowed me to have quality range time without a lot of just banging away. My shooting got better and the groups tighter, and I burned up a lot less components.
At the time I was beginning to shoot my flintlocks more. First I needed to learn to flintlock. Then I needed to improve to the accuracy I had enjoyed with caplocks. Now everything must be nearly perfect to shoot those things well, your setup must be rock solid and your form impeccable. To reach those goals one must really apply himself and along the way you find yourself a better shot. I don't think any kind of gun improves your shooting as much as a flintlock rifle.
But things had changed here too. Blackpowder was no longer available like it once was, and what was out there was way too expensive for much shooting. Reading the writing on the wall I ordered 2 cases of real black powder. One of 2f for the .54 and one of 3f for the .40, you can shoot a lot of .40 caliber rounds with a can of 3f.
Now I'm pretty well set for the immediate future. Got enough blackpowder for several years, enough pistol powder for awhile and enough rifle components to do what I need to do to work up new loads and to hunt with.
I might not shoot as much as I once did but I'll get by.

Back