Outrageous Prices

My wife and I are doing a little vacation trip thru PA and I checked out a store. This was the highest priced item. Standard small pistol and rifle primers were 106.00 powder ranged from 40-54.00lb about what I've seen close to home.20230613_145532.jpg

My wife and I are doing a little vacation trip thru PA and I checked out a store. This was the highest priced item. Standard small pistol and rifle primers were 106.00 powder ranged from 40-54.00lb about what I've seen close to home.View attachment 20042

How many did you buy? LOL Im glad I laid back several thousand primers, along with several thousand bullets and many, many pounds of the powders I use when Trump was in office.

How many did you buy? LOL Im glad I laid back several thousand primers, along with several thousand bullets and many, many pounds of the powders I use when Trump was in office.
Everybody has to know what they shoot and what will allow them to continue shooting regardless of outside circumstances. Several thousand wouldn't do it for me unless things are gonna get better, and there's no guarantee of that. I wont say what I have but if prices and availability are still not where I wanna buy 10 yrs from now, I'll still be good for a while.

It's a lot harder now but even today a person can give their pile a big boost on things if they watch for the right deal. I recently bought a stockpile of 30 cal. Sierra PH bullets for $24.11 a box all in tax and all. That's Trump prices for sure on those, actually better by about $5 a box if I recall correctly.

Everybody has to know what they shoot and what will allow them to continue shooting regardless of outside circumstances.
What I try to do is keep my eyes open, and if I see something that's a good deal in the circumstance, I buy. If I don't, I don't. Worked especially well for things like .22 LR over the years. Also works real well for components, and I am especially a fan of clearance, boxes short a bullet or two, and estate sales. Though, I do not buy powder or primers at those. But, bullets or brass? Sure, why not?

What I try to do is keep my eyes open, and if I see something that's a good deal in the circumstance, I buy. If I don't, I don't. Worked especially well for things like .22 LR over the years. Also works real well for components, and I am especially a fan of clearance, boxes short a bullet or two, and estate sales. Though, I do not buy powder or primers at those. But, bullets or brass? Sure, why not?
Yepper, never pass stuff like that up if it's what you shoot. If a person keeps their eye out things turn up. Picked up 2 boxes of Hornady 180 gr RN for $10 a box couple yrs back at a retail shop, then when things got really hard to get I traded a can of powder a guy gave me for 2 more boxes of those180 RN bullets plus a box of 130 sp's. Traded another can of that free powder I wasn't using for a box of 358 Sierra 200 RN and some 35 Remington brass. Another can from that free stuff for a older brick of Winchester primers.

A guy last yr gave me a full box of 180 grain Speer BTSP's and some other 30 cal bullets, I can't remember what, Hornady's of some type. Just gave them to me because he wasn't going to use them, didn't ask for anything. Next time I seen him I gave him a hard case that came with a rifle I had got. He was tickled pink to use it for his Anschutz 22 as 22 shooting is what he's into. Around and around.

Made some calls yesterday while I was on the road to a couple small out of the way shops. Still the best chance to either get better prices or to find stuff that the stores everybody is checking out wont have.

Couple shops had IMR 4064. Not cheap as $46 was the cheapest shop, but they have it. Nobody else does. Another shop has IMR 4350 for $41 a lb. Not cheap either, but better than the $50 you will pay at Cabela's. He's gonna check the price to get in a 8 lb jug, if it comes in around $36 a lb I might bite.

But what is still disheartening is the primer situation. Had a fairly lengthy discussion with the one older shop owner. He said he has plenty of SR primers and SP. Said he's out of LR again, had a decent batch of them but they had cost him $70 a thousand. I didn't ask him what he was getting for them but it's gonna be hard to get good prices on primers when the shop owner is paying double what the retail price was just a few short yrs ago.

Made some calls yesterday while I was on the road to a couple small out of the way shops. Still the best chance to either get better prices or to find stuff that the stores everybody is checking out wont have.

Couple shops had IMR 4064. Not cheap as $46 was the cheapest shop, but they have it. Nobody else does. Another shop has IMR 4350 for $41 a lb. Not cheap either, but better than the $50 you will pay at Cabela's. He's gonna check the price to get in a 8 lb jug, if it comes in around $36 a lb I might bite.

But what is still disheartening is the primer situation. Had a fairly lengthy discussion with the one older shop owner. He said he has plenty of SR primers and SP. Said he's out of LR again, had a decent batch of them but they had cost him $70 a thousand. I didn't ask him what he was getting for them but it's gonna be hard to get good prices on primers when the shop owner is paying double what the retail price was just a few short yrs ago.
I don't see prices coming back to what they were 3-4 years ago. Just my opinion, Dan.

I don't see prices coming back to what they were 3-4 years ago. Just my opinion, Dan.
I will have to agree with you. Today is a new era where everything seemed to double in price. Few months back I bought a new F150 for twice as much as my 2002 was. I believe true inflation is at 110% today versus what we are being told.

Not saying they can't or wont, but it wont be anytime soon if they do. That inflation is a nasty infection that digs in and is hard to get rid of. Add to that a supply that still seems no where close to keeping up with demand, and yeah, not looking to come down in the near future unless some company can somehow dump a bunch of primers into the system.

I feel like I'm behind the times on both todays prices and the income it would take to support it. Neighbor had some septic trouble and ran and got a piece of schedule 40 pipe. $100 for a single piece. of sch. 40. $10 a ft. I have no clue how anybody is building anything. I sure couldn't in todays world.

I will have to agree with you. Today is a new era where everything seemed to double in price. Few months back I bought a new F150 for twice as much as my 2002 was. I believe true inflation is at 110% today versus what we are being told.
Had some hail damage to my 04 truck recently. Took it in to a dealership to get an estimate for the insurance company. While I was there I walked around the lot. They have a USED truck there for $65,000. That's more than half of what I built my house for in 2001. Like I said in the above post, I'm behind todays prices and don't want to get caught up. I can't and wont pay those kind of prices.

Bought my 2013 Tundra for ~$55K, my 2018 F-150 Lariat for ~$65K. To buy an equivalent of either model today would be ~$75K to $80K. Components are likewise climbing through the roof.

I found this place a few years ago down in NC near one of my training sites.

I grabbed 6lbs of Leverevolution and 6lbs of TAC at 32.95 a pound. A couple LBs of IMR4831 and RL10x for a friend and a brick of the Winchester WLR primers. The IMR4831 was 51.95 a lb and the 10x was 42.00. I don’t feel like I got much of a deal, but I didn’t feel too ripped off either.
I was going to say "your garage looked stocked"

When we bought our first house in Winnemucca Nevada we paid $22,000 for a brand new house, not someone elses that they were selling. In 1979 when we bought our current home built in 1960 it was $53,000. The new bill for the insurance came in and its covering $220,000 for value and the state's tax bill calls the house worth $250.000. My 2019 F150 was $52,000, only $1,000 less than I paid for my house. Something is radically wrong here. I just hope i won't have to buy another truck.
Paul B.

I've only owned 2 new trucks in my life. A 2000 chevy and a 2018 bought 3 weeks after I retired. Still have them both. Hope I don't need to buy anymore. Be my luck I'd get a real deal on a gas model and couldn't buy any gas. Dan.

Powder companies need to get off their a**, The demand is out here. Up production and stop being so greedy !!!!!!

Powder companies need to get off their a**, The demand is out here. Up production and stop being so greedy !!!!!!
3 possible ways you're getting power
nuclear
coal
natural gas

no reason for nuclear cost to go up, but the other 2 does. my power company (just provider) purchases "X" amount of KW per day or 2 and rides the flux in NG cost/prices. My monthly bill averages between 320 and 350 $. when the hike/jump hit I got charged and extra 50%. my checks I receive from owning minerals didn't see the hike/jump as I should've been making 3X my usual royalties. I can't stand my provider at all with what they've done and my it come back against them 10 fold and for them too suffer like the rest of us on the receiving end! I wish I had other choices on who I can/could get power from! They cost me too lose 75% of my crop for NOT having power to my water wells during germination! it cost me in the loss of 6 figures.

Back