Outrageous Prices

Some shops and online retailers price gouge. Not all. I’ll say the majority doesn’t. If one can sell at $35-$50 per lb then the one selling at $75+ is gouging. Period.
If their distributor charges so much that they are forced to charge north of $75 plus hazmat, find another distributor. It’s a very competitive marketplace. It seems to be cheaper buying from Hodgdon directly than some retailers, but most reputable sellers have their prices in the same neighborhood.

I'd hate to have to buy what I have at today's prices.About 15yrs ago I started getting addicted to buying guns.Prior to that time I was more into hunting with one rifle,chambered in one do all cartridge.So as I began branching out with different cartridges and guns,I've accumulated a wide range of brass,bullets and powder.Seemed like I had a hard time passing up good deals when I came across it.I look at what I have and think,no way would I do it all over again today.I can go and load up some ammo now and feel like I'm shooting for free at maybe $.50 a round for premium grade ammo that now would cost probably a $1.50 a round or more not including the brass price which could shoot up the cost to an unbelievable amount.Factory ammo?Gee,unbelievable. https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/trophy-grade-ammo-300-win-mag-180gr-accubond/
$113.99 ($5.70/Round)
Even the rifles I bought over the years have sometimes doubled in value or more as well.So now If I sold everything,I'd get my money back and then some,it's just insane and really most of it happened in just a few short years.

At the price of ammo these days,it makes it worth spending a little extra on a good rifle,stock or custom barrel that shoots good,requiring less work on load development.A person could spend a lot of money trying to get a crappy shooting rifle to group well.I know I shoot my best shooting rifles a whole lot less than my rifles that are a little finicky about what they like.

Last edited:
I agree ... I remember when Dicks got on the woke bandwagon & decided to stop selling guns .... I have not been in their store since & refuse to give them one cent!
Why support the box stores to begin with.

They sell tons of other ball and stick items they don't need your shooting business.

The independent shop ....on the other hand...will always be there no matter the trendy political horseshit going on.

That's who I support. I refuse to buy at the box stores unless it's my absolute last option. And then I feel like I just put on a dirty coat

Own a Weatherby , that take prices to the next level.
That’s why I roll my own.
That's about on par for Weatherby. Weatherby ammo was always more. Add in using accubonds too..

Yeah looks about right.

300wsm Winchester Supreme 180gr BST were $80 a couple years ago

A sporting goods store about 30 miles from me got in a powder shipment, their first in a long time with some hard-to-find ones. Prices range from 60-64 dollars per pound. Mile and a half down the road another store had some of the same powder that was going for 50-55 dollars per pound. They also have had large pistol primers 125.00 per thousand setting on the shelf for a while. Some people think prices will come way down or back to what they were 3-5 years ago, but I'll be surprised if they do. Dan.

A sporting goods store about 30 miles from me got in a powder shipment, their first in a long time with some hard-to-find ones. Prices range from 60-64 dollars per pound. Mile and a half down the road another store had some of the same powder that was going for 50-55 dollars per pound. They also have had large pistol primers 125.00 per thousand setting on the shelf for a while. Some people think prices will come way down or back to what they were 3-5 years ago, but I'll be surprised if they do. Dan.
Think I know where you’ve been, I found that out the other day poking around Princeton, Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at it, I didn’t find anything I needed. SS has always been a little higher. I sure do miss Brogan’s long shot.

Last edited:
Think I know where you’ve been, I found that out the other day poking around Princeton, Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at it, I didn’t find anything I needed. SS has always been a little higher. I sure do miss Brogan’s long shot.
You pegged it. I agree with you on missing Brogans. Dan.

The thing is with the pricing...

As a retailer you have two choices...

Wait until your regular supplier gets it back in and it still won't reflect 2017 pricing...nor will the availability.....but you can probably have it delivered via local truck run with no hazmat....

Or...

You bite the bullet and get some in regardless of pricing.

A bare shelf is the worst thing ever for a retailer.
Even worse than paying higher prices and hazmat from a secondary supplier.

What I don't understand is even with higher pricing present day it's still significantly cheaper than buying factory.

P.s.
In the industry we used to have an inside joke that Clay shooters who reload will drive 50 miles to save $.80 on a bag of wads.

That wasn't exaggerated too much and sadly fairly accurate.

At least the complaints in this thread from the metallic reloader still aren't as bad as the drive 50 to save 50...cents that is. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Went into the Bridgeport store in Beckley today and saw some powder for 60.00 lb plus few primers 10-12.00 per 100. They had a pile of ammo most I've seen for awhile in any store I frequent and it's no wonder there's no primers for reloaders. If this was any indication, they are going for factory ammo has been stated by others before. just my observation today. Dan.

While most everyone in this thread has been focusing on powder and primers, just take a look at some bullets. This might not be a popular post here but Nosler Ballistic Tips have been my favorite bullet since they came out, what 30 years ago. If I couldn’t get a gun to shoot a NBT then that gun wouldn’t shoot. Now it’s to the point where I can’t afford to shoot Ballistic Tips. I have been buy mostly seconds for several years now and even those are through the roof. For most hunting calibers the seconds after tax and shipping are at minimum $60/100. Most of the time it’s closer to $65-$70 and first quality is now pushing or even over $80/100.

While most everyone in this thread has been focusing on powder and primers, just take a look at some bullets. This might not be a popular post here but Nosler Ballistic Tips have been my favorite bullet since they came out, what 30 years ago. If I couldn’t get a gun to shoot a NBT then that gun wouldn’t shoot. Now it’s to the point where I can’t afford to shoot Ballistic Tips. I have been buy mostly seconds for several years now and even those are through the roof. For most hunting calibers the seconds after tax and shipping are at minimum $60/100. Most of the time it’s closer to $65-$70 and first quality is now pushing or even over $80/100.
I am lucky that I’m stocked to the roof with bullets. I just bought some 250gr TTSXs for my 375 Wby just over $1/pc. Big bore bullets are very expensive now days. For .30 cal and under if I was to spend $80/100 I would switch to Hammers I like what I see with them so far.

Hit up Bass Pro today. Primers at $157/ 1k, or 100 for $15.xx. Powder at >$300 for 8 pounds. I didn't make it as far as bullets.

Hit up Bass Pro today. Primers at $157/ 1k, or 100 for $15.xx. Powder at >$300 for 8 pounds. I didn't make it as far as bullets.
Wow! The Cabela’s near me has their primers for $99.99 per 1000 LR/LRM and $89.99 per 1000 for CCI 450’s and Rem 7 1/2’s. Unfortunately the $300+ price tag on the 8 pound jug is pretty much the going price for popular rifle powders with the exception of Ramshot Powders. I’ve seen the Vihtivouri 100 series powders for under $300. Bass Pro and Cabela’s prices are usually the same as both fill orders for the other.

Shop here has the IMR powders for $42, except for 4350 & 4831, they are $45. Hodgdon powders are actually better priced.........most are in the $32-$35 range, not bad compared to a yr ago. Cheap enough except for the commonly used powders such as H4350, H4831, and Varget, those are $46.
I wish that shop was closer to me:( Dan.

BPS in Bristol has a few IMR they are running about $49. They have Ramshot powders $34- $40 didn’t see any Alliant. Had some hodgdon, but didn’t look at the price. I got TAC and CFE 223 for $39 ea

Back