Partitons vs. Interlocks

Racklover

Beginner
Oct 1, 2004
I loaded some .260 ammo last night. All I have so far for bullets are the Hornady 129 Interlocks. This is a soft point. Is it me or is the lead tip subject to deformity? Not during the manufacturing process but just normal handling.

Does the 125 Partions have less exposed tips?

The lead tip is certainly subject to deformity, especially when jacking it in and out of your magazine. I load with Partitions and while big game hunting I jack the shells around everytime I come back to my rig or camp. The tips are always getting bent up. What do I do? I roll them back to semi-straight on a hard surface. I don't have a 6.5mm Hornady bullet on hand but from the pictures on Hornady's web site I would deduce that it has a pretty standard exposure of lead tippage. In defense of the Partition, a deformed lead tip may cause less issue with expansion due to the solid wall at the Partition. One thing you would not have to worry about would be the copper jacket being torn from the lead core if overly irregular expansion occured on impact.

the effect of magazine bashing and recoil would be the same on both bullets. I load both for my 260 ad they react the same to normal use. The mushing(for lack of a better phrase) seems to have very little effect on accuracy.

:) I've had a 260 since Rem. come out with it in the Mountain Rifle. I started out with the 120 gr. BT. but after a few years went with the 125 gr. Part.. Not because of problems with the BT, the Part. just shot better. At relative hunting ranges I don't think it really makes any difference what type of meplat the bullet has. JMO :wink:

We have cut tips off of Partitions and smashed them to a blunt end, no significant difference in performance.

Back