Nov 26, 2006
I'm installing my scope to my rifle. I know they sell a device with
lines on it that you attach to the rifle and then align the horizontal
lines of the reticle to the ones of the device. However. I don't have
that particular device and would like to know if there's a method
that someone here uses that will insure my reticle will be perfectly
aligned horizontally to my rifle.

Getting the crosshairs right is not one of my strong points! :oops:

I think that I have improved the job since I started sighting on the vertical freezer at the other end of the basement.

I use a cleaning cradle to support the rifle and use a two small bubbles sitting on the open rings to square the rifle. I have a shelf in the loading that is level, sit the scope in the rings, adjust eye relief, square the crosshairs with the shelf and tighten the tops of the rings. I normally just use the scope leveler but used the other method until I got the leveler.Rick.

I find a flat spot on the rifle and level the rifle, lock it in a vice or use something to stableize it. Then I level the scope by using a small leve on the scop elevation adj cover. you have to keep in mind that many scope mounts will move the scope slightly when you tighten it.
The hard part is finding a flat spot on the rifle. I had a Rem 700 and had to level across the rear sight, or the bedding block in the stock (obviously you have to remove the stock to do this. Hope this helps.

I haven't heard anyone using a laser leveler. Funny, I bought one while working on my kitchen - the kind that rotate and project straight line 360 degrees. I set the laser to the farthest corner of my house and with the bubble level on my rifle action, I look at the scope and see if the horizontal stadia of the scope is in line with the laser light. I paid 90 dollars for this one but, a cheaper version will probably work just fine. RJ

Thanks guys
All excelent tips. I actually have a laser leveler. So I'm going to
give that a try. And I used to always do it by eye. I thought it was
good but if just a little off. What kind of problems could I experience?

Back