Pics: 223 AI Rem 700 VTR

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
I got the VTR back yesterday and only had time to fire 1 round off the deck to see how the fired brass looked. I stole the leupold 4.5-14X40 off my 7mm and mounted it, bore sighted it (didn't need any adjustment :)) this morning and here are the pics.

I added my 22-250AI Rem 700 to the pic too as I haven't posted any of it yet.

AJPics002.jpg

Work was done by Dennis Sorensen of Sorensen Precision. He also built the 22-250 AI and it shoot very well.

JT.

Very nice rifles, keep us posted on how the VTR shoots. It is very nice looking indeed. :grin: :grin:

jtoews80

Very nice, congratulations!

Post a picture of the AI cases next to the parent cases. We like to see pics. :grin:

JD338

JD338":c7wtw4on said:
jtoews80

Very nice, congratulations!

Post a picture of the AI cases next to the parent cases. We like to see pics. :grin:

JD338

I love Ackley's

JD here's the side by side comparison. The big brother is the 338 Lapua Ackley

Picture178-2.jpg

It took until now to get some rounds thro the 223AI.That little gun shoots very well, arond 0.75" with american eagle 55grn @ 100m. We have about 20 rounds thro the new chamber and have run a bore snake with Hoppes #9 BR copper solvent thro it after each one. My wife wouldn't shoot anything else after she got scoped by her 243 yesterday, likely my fault as I set the scope quite far back. I set it the same as my rifles and she leaned way in because she is used to shooting my rifles, not a youth model 243. I would like to get that chamber well broken in with around 250-500 rounds before I start loading for it. Then I'll have enough brass that I can work up a nice 40 grn load & a good 50 grn load and make 250 of each, should be good for awhile that way. Unless of of couse the coyote bounty goes up from $15. Then I may need more.

JT

Those are some fine looking rifles and cases. I love the look of the AI cases. How much do you gain over a .223?

I think you'll have to ask DF the technical questions, so far I have no idea. I'll be begging for load data in a few months my self when I get enough brass formed. Maybe more than a little while to get that much shooting in, judging by the past few months.

JT.

jtoews80

The 223 AI is a pretty cool round. Thanks for posting the picture.

JD338

jtoews80":jd45150s said:
I think you'll have to ask DF the technical questions, so far I have no idea. I'll be begging for load data in a few months my self when I get enough brass formed. Maybe more than a little while to get that much shooting in, judging by the past few months.

JT.

I'm getting 3875 fps average using 40 grain bullet and around 3550 fps with 50 grainer in my Cooper Phoenix. I could easily achieved 3900 fps+ with 40 grain bullet but I stop at 3875 since I'm using BLC-2. As you all know, BLC-2 is very sensitive to temperature change. I have yet to try H-335 which is another good powder for the 223. I have a pound to try but never got around it. I've seen published velocity using this powder close to 4K. This is almost in the 22-250 realm.

Here's several 5 shot group @ 110 yards with 50 grain V-Max. Average less than .25 inch

Picture138.jpg

DF,

Those are some serious groups you have pictured there. A sweet setup and some excellent riflery.

There's an awfully good chance that my new Weatherby Vanguard will end up a .223 AI. Interested in how this turns out.

Back