Preparing for Moose (and Black Bear, and ...)

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I spent the afternoon at the range working with some loads for the 35 Whelen and the .280 Remington. The loads for the Whelen are showing a lot of promise, but the accuracy just wasn't quite what I'm used to seeing. For instance, velocity with the 280 grain Swift A-Frame was 2398 +/- 8 fps. Across the spectrum of charges tested, however, the accuracy was about 2 MOA. Because the ballistic data is so good, I'll likely rework this load and play with seating depth. Likewise, velocities with the 225 grain Partition were 2616 +/- 6 fps (ReLoder 17) and 2672 +/- 11 fps (IMR4064). Accuracy hovered in the 1.5 MOA range. Again, these loads will be reexamined and tested at differing OALs. I have some loads worked up to test with 280 grain Swift A-Frames and with 225 grain Sierra Game Kings which will be tested shortly. On the whole, an instructive and productive day with the Whelen.

On the other hand, the .280 Remington is continuing to please me with some excellent velocities and reasonable accuracy. To refresh your memory, this is the Remington I'm working with.

This rifle has shot well from the first. Today was no different. I'm trying to focus on one load for moose, black bear, elk, caribou, deer, etc. I'm having some difficulty making a decision, however. With a 139 grain GMX and WXR, I'm getting some excellent results. Across the spectrum of charges, I'm getting sub-MOA accuracy and velocities ranging up to 3158 +/- 8 fps. I would be comfortable shooting this load at about any game I might encounter.

One hundred forty grain E-Tips and RL17 yielded slightly lower velocities (3039 +/- 9 fps), but equally good accuracy.

And 140 grain E-Tips and RL22 gave good accuracy and somewhat reduced velocities (to 2907 +/- 23 fps). I would still be quite comfortable with this load in my rifle on opening day.

I have some 140 grain ABs loaded and ready to test, and I'll likely review some of the results from this afternoon's work-up. It was a good day for shooting. The temperature hovered at 28C all afternoon and there was no breeze. The ranges are full as everyone is trying to get their rifles sighted in. Noah and I managed to secure the one hundred yard house and keep it to ourselves all afternoon, so it wasn't bad. We'll give this another go shortly.

A .35 cal, 280 gr Swift @ 2400 fps is indeed big medicine.

Unless you're going for the long shot, two MOA will put meat in the freezer, no problem. We don't like to accept that level of accuracy, but a generation ago, many of us settled for that sort of accuracy routinely, and just as routinely, it filled tags. Just a thought.

I like the .280 too... Good results there!

Guy

Great results Mike. The 280 seems like a shoe in with that 139 GMX. At those speeds it should be excellent Mike.

The Whelen sounds very cool with those big 280's. Man, I just wanna try em. I know it might not work, but I'm dieing seeing those kinda results. I'm betting with a little seating depth change, it wouldn't take much to have it drilling tacks. That bullet has to penetrate really far! Those Swifts sorta snuck up on me and at 2400, that's alot of killing power.

Guy,

You are absolutely correct, less than a generation ago, two MOA was very adequate for hunting. Yes, I could absolutely hunt with that load. Like most everyone who posts here, though, I want more. I will play with this load and see if I can improve it to MOA at least.

Scotty,

The .280 is singing a sweet song that tweaks my interest. At this moment, it is getting the nod.

Mike

Nice work.
The 280 is smokin'.
The big 35 will give you penetration into tomorrow!

JD338

I note that the .280 was walking some as the barrel heated. I assume there is a pressure point at some point in the barrel channel. I will have to check that at some point. For the moment, I don't anticipate requiring more than two shots on any animal. I will be comfortable with any of the loads tested. I'm testing another load with 140 grain ABs before heading out, however.

Consequently, I found it interesting that the 280 grain A-Frames pushed from the Whelen at ~2400 fps has more than a sharp kick on the Hawkeye! I'm used to a bit of recoil, but felt recoil of these loads exceeded that of my 9.3X64 Brenneke with 286 grain Partitions. These loads were comparable to the 300 grain A-Frame launched from the 9.3 at ~2450 fps. Interesting observation.

That is an interesting observation. But my friend just brought his Savage 110 by with a box of factory 180's to mount a scope. It kicks worse than my 338 with 225's. His rifle is fairly light I'm guessing 6.5 lbs without scope.

Stock design does play into felt recoil, and weight of the firing system assuredly is involved in measured recoil. To be certain, the 9.3X64 firing system is on a rifle that is about 1.5 pounds heavier, which mitigates felt recoil. Stock design is roughly identical, however. For reference, the hardest kicking rifle I've fired in the past several years was a 270WSM. It had a custom stock of an unknown design. Each time I fired that rifle, it would twist in my hand and slap me aside the head. I broke two sets of ear protectors working up a load on that beast. There was no backward thrust, but it did twist viciously. It was a twenty inch barrel with a muzzle brake and super light; and it was vicious. A guy built it for sheep. I was never quite certain why he didn't just buy a standard cartridge in a light rifle, but he had definite ideas and he got what he wanted. As I recall, he eventually decid3d it wasn't the rifle for him and tried to sell it. No one, however, wanted to buy it. :grin: Go figure!

Hi Mike, that is some great shooting as usual. I was wondering what powder are u using to get that speed with the 139gr GMX.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":fo21o463 said:
Hi Mike, that is some great shooting as usual. I was wondering what powder are u using to get that speed with the 139gr GMX.

Blessings,
Dan

WXR. It is no longer produced, but I still have five or so pounds. It was a favourite of mine for the .280 and for the 7RM. I parcel it out for my own demented use.

Good for you :wink: you should have a secret stash of a few different items just for yourself :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back