Primer Comparison Testing

BeeTee

Handloader
Jul 27, 2011
primers.jpg

In the “for what it’s worth category”, I found this primer data in a shooting magazine back in the 1990s. I thought you might find it interesting. I don’t remember the author, but if someone does, please post it so he gets the credit. As best as I can remember, here is what accompanied the data.

As I recall, the author wanted to measure what effect different primers have on velocity, extreme spread and standard deviation. He chose the 300 Winchester Magnum as the test cartridge due to its large capacity and his experience in loading for what he found to be a traditionally low SD cartridge.

10 matching cases were selected from a large batch of known consistent brass, matched to weight, trimmed to length, neck reamed and primer flash holes made uniform. The same 10 cases were used for each primer being tested.

A batch of quality 180gr bullets were chosen, and each were measured and sorted to weight. 90 bullets were then chosen that weighed & measured the same.

A slow burning powder was chosen that provided nearly 100% loading density and that had proven to produce a low extreme spread and SD in his 300 Win Mag experience.

10 rounds were carefully assembled using each primer, and the velocity, extreme spread and SD were then recorded. Shooting was done to equalize differences between sets. Don’t remember the details, but I suppose he allowed the barrel to cool between shots, and may have used an indoor temperature-controlled range.

I remember him noting that only the CCI primers produced a genuine difference between their standard and magnum primers. Most of the tested primers produced very little difference between their standard and magnum versions, and the Winchester standard primers even produced a higher velocity than their Mag primers.

Not long after this article appeared I bought 1000 Federal 210 primers to use in all my loads requiring a large rifle primer – due to the low SD and the fact that there was so little velocity difference (primer contribution) between the 210 & 215, but the extreme spread and SD difference were significant.

The shelf life for this kind of data is perhaps relatively short, due to batch and manufacturing differences over time. But then, maybe this data is still valid...
Jim

That is a great test that has all the variables removed to give true results. I may try some 210s in my magnums just to see what happens. The powder construction (extruded vs, ball) could make a difference is those numbers though.

Thanks for sharing :grin: I would like to know if anyone else has noticed similar results. It would sure be nice to use just one primer for all of my reloading if possible.

Being the simple old man that I am, I have several thousand CCi primers both magnum and standard. I have loaded them in numerous rifles and with numerous powders for 100's of years. I KNOW THAT THERE ARE PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCES IN PRIMERS. However every once in while I get the bright idea as I have currently with my STW and go out and buy Federal or Remington primers to help solve an accuracy problem. In my case I have never seen a measureable difference. I KNOW THAT BENCH REST AND LONG RANGE SHOOTERS CAN SEE A DIFFERENCE, of course they are also working will rifles far more accurate than anything that I own and their abilities far exceed mine. So for the common run of a mill rifle and shooter I do not believe that the manufacture makes a whole lot of difference. I don't mix them, in fact I dont mix any components once a load is developed. I know that Bullet, Dr Mike, Desert Fox, Antelope Sniper, OT3, and several others will have a different take on this than I and I will defer to their experience.

The chart has very limited use and certainly not a across the board comparison of sufficient data to determine the best primer except for that specific rifle, cartridge and load chain. Different powders, different weight bullets, brass thickness and cartridge design along with chamber play a role in how a primer works as well as it's make up. For example I get 3-5 Dev using Rem 9 1/2M primers in my 300Win mag using IMR4350 and 15-20 Dev using Fed 210 primers with that same load chain. Yet in my 358Win pushing 225gr Sierra I get 4-6 Dev using Fed 210 primers and 18-24 Dev using 9 1/2M primers using a compressed charge of H4895. Then when I use the the 225gr AccuBond with TAC I get 4-8 Dev using Rem 9 1/2M primers and 25-36 Dev using Fed 210. There are to many variables to use a limited chart as post above to determine the best primer to use unless tested with a chrony for that specific load chain and trying different primers with the load chain.

bullet":38vskfyg said:
The chart has very limited use and certainly not a across the board comparison of sufficient data to determine the best primer except for that specific rifle, cartridge and load chain. Different powders, different weight bullets, brass thickness and cartridge design along with chamber play a role in how a primer works as well as it's make up. For example I get 3-5 Dev using Rem 9 1/2M primers in my 300Win mag using IMR4350 and 15-20 Dev using Fed 210 primers with that same load chain. Yet in my 358Win pushing 225gr Sierra I get 4-6 Dev using Fed 210 primers and 18-24 Dev using 9 1/2M primers using a compressed charge of H4895. Then when I use the the 225gr AccuBond with TAC I get 4-8 Dev using Rem 9 1/2M primers and 25-36 Dev using Fed 210. There are to many variables to use a limited chart as post above to determine the best primer to use unless tested with a chrony for that specific load chain and trying different primers with the load chain.

Very true... It's still interesting.

This is the only primer comparison test by a professional gun writer that I've seen -even if it's only valid for the components/cartridge/rifle he used at that time. Perhaps the best recommendation would come from a cadre of top benchrest pros.... but then, they load with BR prepped cases, bullets, and high-dollar custom rifles...

Jim

It is hard to draw a definitive conclusion on the result of this type of comparison test because there's just too many variables involved. I tend to stick to one brand of primer for all of my reloading. I've always had great result with Federal primers, specifically their match grade, so it's the only thing I use. Primers, irregardless of brand were all made the same way and use the same ingredients. I read somewhere that the quality of primers depends solely on the experience of the person that assembles it.

bbearhntr":2a96jiib said:
Thanks for sharing :grin: I would like to know if anyone else has noticed similar results. It would sure be nice to use just one primer for all of my reloading if possible.

For the last 2 years fed 210 is all I buy for all the 23 calibers I load for no matter if mag or not.

I believe that primers are filled by a manual operation that is highly operator dependent for performance and quality. Because of this, I have used bench rest quality primers whenever accuracy is important to me and I can find them. Lately, because of the shortage of components locally, I have been using whatever brand that I can find in sufficient numbers to get a brick at a time.

I can only say, in recent testing developing a load, CCI200 gave 39 fps spread, Rem 9 1/2 22fps,
Fed Gold Match 215M 83 fps spread.
This was with .257 110gn AB's in a 25-06Rem.
Cheers, ET

Oldtrader3":16bw4x53 said:
I believe that primers are filled by a manual operation that is highly operator dependent for performance and quality. Because of this, I have used bench rest quality primers whenever accuracy is important to me and I can find them. Lately, because of the shortage of components locally, I have been using whatever brand that I can find in sufficient numbers to get a brick at a time.

Hi Charlie , nice shooting with the 280 !!
I read an article about primers some time ago ,and if I remember right I think Charlie is correct on this hand assembly . I think they are then sorted in some way that the cream of the crop primers are box and sold with match designation . the other primers are sold as regular primers . these regular primers are not seconds by any means, they are just not perfect perfect , or within a set + or - spec . I wish I could remember more of this article. here is a link to another primer test I have bookmarked for whatever reason . Jim

http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_test ... erence.htm

Thanks, Jim. The Match grade primers are made by their most well trained and certified operators who can meet the consistancy standards for Match grade primer performance metrics day in and day out.

Good stuff. I mostly use fed 215 Match these days.

bbearhntr":39eya39u said:

I have used nothing but fed 210 for all the 23 calibers I load and have been well satisfied
with accuracy in all of them.

Given the choice, I'll use Federal primers, but there for a while, all I could find were CCI. So I stocked up, and I guess I'll be loading CCIs in my .17, .204, .221 and .223s for a while.

Kurt,

I never had a real problem with CCI primers. They work quite well.

Nor have I, Doc. But I like consistency, and switching brands willy nilly doesn't really help the cause much.

I also prefer Federal primers when they are available as they seem to be now. Unfortunately, I had to replenish my stock f primers (5 sizes and types) during the component famine a couple of yeras ago and now am stuck with more different brands than I normally would use. However, I am getting along just fine over all.

Back