Primer costs....very sad

I've got lots of primers , but I still don't like the price . we're being conditioned for a price increase . primers were selling at $35 a 1000 . now what $100 per 1000 . so when the price comes down to a every day price of $50 a 1000 everyone is happy .

yea , I'll whine if I want to .

There is plenty of powder, primers & bullets in inventory. It's just stockpiled in half a million homes rather then on the shelves of a few hundred stores. At some point, shooters who are grossly overstocked will be looking to give the stuff away.

Not much different than the people who were trying to return big bundles of toilet paper to BJs now that everyone has what they need and supply has caught up with no issues in sight.

Worldwide Pandemic + Election Year..... OF COURSE THERES A PRIMER SHORTAGE..... if you’ve lived long enough to be able to legally buy ammo..... THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING!

Hate to say it but I agree with songdog. Looking for an expected market price increase, then buying low and selling high, is the definition of smart trading. In an open, unforced market, what two folks agree to pay between them is their business, and the definition of capitalism.

For 30 years, everyone has said that in the event of civil unrest or apocalypse, ammo and ammo parts would be like gold, and the most critical trade item you could have along with toilet paper. Everyone. Now covid hits, and 9 months later some folks are surprised ammo parts are expensive, and upset at the smart folks who saw this coming for 30 years and stocked up? It's not food or lifesaving medical supplies, it's a commodity for folks to go to the range and burn thru ammo in a completely frivolous noncritical hobby. Now yes, I love the hobby, but I'm not gonna say it's so critical that some gov't agency should step in and control the buy/sell market! The number of primers used to reload then defend home and family this month can probably be counted on one hand.

The day I think I should have a right to dictate how a guy with primers prices them in a willing sale to an adult, is the day I move to Russia or California and join the Communist party.

Yeah I wish they were cheaper, yeah I forgot to stock up on pistol primers, yeah I wish I was a smarter capitalist myself. Yeah I think price won't come back down completely later on. Yeah, I like to complain about it too ;)

“Charlie, There is plenty of powder, primers & bullets in inventory. It's just stockpiled in half a million homes rather then on the shelves of a few hundred stores. At some point, shooters who are grossly overstocked will be looking to give the stuff away“. I really doubt many serious shooters will be giving the stuff away. Components stored properly last for decades. I have bullets that cost less than $5.00 and powder in metal cans. All ready to go.

I also have bullets that were $3.59/100 and powder that was $3/lb and some surplus for less than that. Primers for $.67/100. But all of that is old stock that still works fine. The last time I bought primers was when it is very hard to get Fed 215 primers and I bought 10 cartons of 1000 each for $39/1000 during the last shortages.

Do not need anything now except if I could find some H-450. Have enough of everything else to last several years or more.

People need to plan ahead. This panic buying happens every few years and besides the cost of stuff to load with only will go up in price as the years go by

Just traded about $120 worth of powder, reloading equipment and bullets that I had no use for, for 1000 primers
I did.

It also helped a new reloader who had bought his young son a deer rifle and came to find there was no ammo to be found. He didn't have a lot of cash and so was putting in the time to trade for all the loading equipment and components. Even went to the recycler and bought several buckets of range brass to sort and trade. He was so excited to get my left overs.

Seems like bartering is the way to go to get primers right now, since other components are almost as hard to find.

Elkman":1bvmoxss said:
“Charlie, There is plenty of powder, primers & bullets in inventory. It's just stockpiled in half a million homes rather then on the shelves of a few hundred stores. At some point, shooters who are grossly overstocked will be looking to give the stuff away“. I really doubt many serious shooters will be giving the stuff away. Components stored properly last for decades. I have bullets that cost less than $5.00 and powder in metal cans. All ready to go.

It's not just "serious shooters" who have stockpiles of components, its many, many casual shooters. It's not uncommon to hear from guys who have enough supplies to last several years without a re-supply. In a few years there will be better bullets and more efficient powders that will be all the craze. If you're sitting on years worth of old components that you aren't interested in any more you'll be happy to get rid of them. How many people who have lots of guns, ammo and/or components just stop shooting/hunting for whatever reason? It happens.

Just my 2 cents

We see it all too often. The good thing is most folks that really wanna shoot will broaden their looking for a substitute. I know when H4350 was nonexistent I found RL16-17, Hunter and some others worked just as well for me. Same goes for any number of powders. I try not to let perfect get in the way of good enough.

Stopped by a local gun shop today... just to kill a little time. Found two unopened 100ct boxes of the old 120 grain 7mm “Solid Base” Ballistic Tips.... $25 out the door. Should work dandy downloaded to about 2700 out of my boy’s Tikka 7/08.

Ive got 900, 210 Federal Gold Medal Match primers that Im not going to use that I'll sell someone for 350 bucks...Plus shipping and Hazmat

For those who say asking $100-$150 for a brick of primers isn't gouging; could you tell me what YOUR definition of gouging is?

Charlie-NY":omgskcob said:
For those who say asking $100-$150 for a brick of primers isn't gouging; could you tell me what YOUR definition of gouging is?

Could you please tell me your definition of a free market?

Maybe you’d like to get the Gov’t involved and we can fix the price?

Don’t like the price..... DON’T BUY THEM. But crying about another guy being prepared and making a buck..... is classic Liberal whining.

Songdog":1rov6lbx said:
Charlie-NY":1rov6lbx said:

Don’t like the price..... DON’T BUY THEM. But crying about another guy being prepared and making a buck..... is classic Liberal whining.

Your answer isn't responsive to the question I asked but that's ok because I'm not looking for an argument. You need to pop the cork on a good bottle of wine and relax. :roll:

Hopefully those here who are running short of components will remember these days when the prices once again drop to a more reasonable level. Then buy for the days and months ahead. It always happens when the hateful leftists come into power, and should come as no surprise.

Charlie-NY":54uxhpmz said:
Songdog":54uxhpmz said:
Charlie-NY":54uxhpmz said:

Your answer isn't responsive to the question I asked but that's ok because I'm not looking for an argument. You need to pop the cork on a good bottle of wine and relax. :roll:

I don’t drink wine.... I drink good whiskey and cheap beer.

I was simply trying to qualify a bit before answering your question.

Here’s my answer.... in a Free Market, there is no “gouging”.... there’s what two free individuals agree to pay/sell for an item. The ones crying about “gouging” are either unprepared, or not financially capable of buying said item.....

caribouhunter":2mccba0t said:
Wow.
i just bought 1000 CCI BR2 yesterday for 64$ canadian money.
I see Canada has a lot of primers. I just paid over $200 for 1000 of the same primer. Ouch it still hurts

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Elkman":2pa5zwtv said:
Hopefully those here who are running short of components will remember these days when the prices once again drop to a more reasonable level. Then buy for the days and months ahead. It always happens when the hateful leftists come into power, and should come as no surprise.

This is exactly what I done after the last component shortage. When components became available I started buying. I have thousands upon thousands of primers, hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands of bullets for my rifles and many, many pounds of powder. IMR 7828, Big Game, H414, Varget, RL-16, RL-22, Probably enough to last the rest of my life.

highoctane":3gh048xt said:
Elkman":3gh048xt said:

This is exactly what I done after the last component shortage. When components became available I started buying. I have thousands upon thousands of primers, hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands of bullets for my rifles and many, many pounds of powder. IMR 7828, Big Game, H414, Varget, RL-16, RL-22, Probably enough to last the rest of my life.
So your saying those of us in need can come over and go shopping? I'll be there in 10 min. Lol
I guess I picked a hard time to pick this hobby up. I started to a couple years ago but life got in the way. I am very thankful to be on here. Just in the last day I've have gotten a lot of help

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I admit that I have not been looking on a daily basis. I basically gave up on trying to find small rifle primers...

Back