Quadra Fire 3100 Wood Stove

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
If anyone is in the market for a new stove, this is a great one! It held a fire for 14 hours last winter on red fir. It keeps our 2,300 sq ft house at 75 with no problems down to 10 degrees farenheit. The only drawback is that if you turn it way down and want a long burn, sometimes the creosote will build on the glass and inside the stove which requires often cleaning. On high, it will hold a fire for 4 hours easily. If you run it on high for 12 hours a day it isn't a problem.

I have heard great things about blaze kings as well.

Todd

View attachment IMG_2638.JPG

I've been heating my home with the same stove since 1991. Recently had to replace the bricks and door liner but otherwise I've been extremely satisfied. The stove is undersized for my home which allows me to burn it pretty hot. I burn hardwoods in it and use oak for anytime I want a long burn. It keeps my house at 72* or better until it gets to single digit temps. Then it's sweater time. I can't use it when outside temp gets above 40*F as it gets too hot inside.

There's something about cutting, splitting and gathering your own fuel to heat your home. Very satisfying chore and it makes me feel less dependent on the profit mongering oil companies and the ignoble tribal leaders of the Middle East.

If I was to buy another stove I would look hard at the Jotul or Lopi lines.

I will pass this review on to my buddy George. He just bought a Cabelas tent..... Thank you!

Wood heat can really warm the bones.
If I were to ever heat with wood, I would get an outside burner.

My FIL heated with wood, about 7 cords a year. We used to take a week vacation in Aug and I would cut and split every morning and evening. The splitting was with a mull, not a power assisted log splitter.

JD338

Great review buddy, do you have a picture of the stove?

I grew up cutting and splitting wood for Dad to sell and to burn as well. Always said I wouldn't have a wood burning stove, but I really miss the actual heat you get from a good stove.

I'm sitting at my kitchen table eating breakfast and staring at the same picture. There's nothing like the feeling you get from a stoked up wood stove. Wish I could crawl back under the blankets but there's cargo that needs to be flown to some base on this big rock.

A wood stove is all I have. When we built the house, we didn't put in a forced air furnace. I have a couple of those wall mounted electric heaters, if we have to leave in the winter. Just to keep the water from freezing.

I've always heated with wood. The house is well insulated and tight. On a bad winter we will go through 3-4 cords. On a good year we go get 2 loads of wood. Not bad bill for the winters heat, 2 days. I usually take a draft horse and harness, to skid with.
WadeSaddle036.jpg

What stove do you have? How do you circulate the air through the house as it looks like it is at one end of the house? Beautiful place!

No circulation. Warms the whole house, easy. We keep our bedroom door closed to keep it cooler, so we can sleep. My Wife likes to sleep with the window open, year around. I use her for night security. She 'Hears', I look.

I do not know the stove brand, it is a air tight design. It will take 20" logs. We stoke it twice a day, once in the morning, and once before bed. I've filled it and chocked it down, and left for 3 days, and it still had coals.

Too Tall":3pngsq24 said:
A wood stove is all I have. When we built the house, we didn't put in a forced air furnace. I have a couple of those wall mounted electric heaters, if we have to leave in the winter. Just to keep the water from freezing.

I've always heated with wood. The house is well insulated and tight. On a bad winter we will go through 3-4 cords. On a good year we go get 2 loads of wood. Not bad bill for the winters heat, 2 days. I usually take a draft horse and harness, to skid with.
WadeSaddle036.jpg

TT, that is what I hope my future home looks like too! Very nice buddy!

Thanks for a good review, I have been looking at a Blaze King Princess insert to put in downstairs, but will check out this one as well. Back when I used only wood for heat I burned anything, I was able to get lots of cut off's from framing houses which worked well along with some red cedar for getting a roaring fire going. We burned a lot of Birch and some Alder but also use a lot of Pine, Spruce, Balsam and Hemlock, they all work :)

Too Tall":1ksaz4ad said:
I like Red Fir or Lodge pole the best.

That's kinda funny, as back East, if you burn anything other than Oak, Maple, Ash, etc, you are burning up the kindling wood. I wondered how most folks got by with the softwoods for burning.. Doesn't seem too awfully hard.

Yeah, tell someone here that you're burning white pine or hemlock in your stove and they think you're off your rocker.

If anyone is in the market for a new stove, this is a great one! It held a fire for 14 hours last winter on red fir. It keeps our 2,300 sq ft house at 75 with no problems down to 10 degrees farenheit. The only drawback is that if you turn it way down and want a long burn, sometimes the creosote will build on the glass and inside the stove which requires often cleaning. On high, it will hold a fire for 4 hours easily. If you run it on high for 12 hours a day it isn't a problem.

I have heard great things about blaze kings as well.

Todd

View attachment 3076
I have a quadrafire 21m...no parts 17 yrs and it is obsolete.... I would NEVER NEVER recommend this company as their lifetime warranty is useless.

Back