Ramshot Hunter Powder - 338 WinMag and 180gr NAB

texas

Beginner
Apr 3, 2009
Howdy, all. I have been reading here, but this is my first post and I come begging.

:oops:

Pop, I want to try Ramshot Hunter powder in my 338 Win Mag, but I find no data anywhere for the Nosler 180 gr. AccuBond. Would it be possible for you to run the numbers for me in Quickload? Pretty please??? Rifle is a Tikka T3, 24" barrel, Norma brass, COAL 3.36.

Many, many thanks!

Texas

FWIW to anyone, I have discovered that Ramshot Hunter powder is too slow for the .338 180gr NAB in a 338 WinMag. I could not get any load to shoot better than 3.5" so I am using VV N-150. I have it gouping these into 3/4" for three shots and I am working on fine tuning load and seat depth next range trip. This is from a Tikka T3 Hunter, which I plan to use as my go-to whitetail and muley load/rifle in 2009. I will use an A-Bolt 338 Win Mag with 250gr Woodleigh PP bullets for free-range bison and elk hunting this year.

And did you know, I will do all this hunting within the borders of Texas?

Regards,

Texas

texas

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Take a look at the 200 gr AB as an all around bullet choice for your 338 Win Mag. It will give you plenty of expansion on small framed deer and with less meat destruction than the 180 gr AB. I would start with RL 19, which will get you to 3000 fps. :wink:

JD338

Thanks for the welcome, I didn't see your responses until just now.

JD338, I coincidentally loaded som 200 gr. CT BST test loads Saturday night with RL-19 powder. Have you compared POI between the BST and NAB 200 gr. bullets? I have som 200 gr. NABs, but the BSTs are cheaper for test loads... they will be tested for group size next Friday.

Y'all have a great afternoon!

Texas

Texas

The POI difference between the 200 gr BT and 200 gr AB should be close. The internal make up of these two bullets are different so you will have to test the AB for accuracy and POI. This bullet will turn your 338 WM into a mighty deer slayer for sure.

JD338

Thanks, fellas. I'll load some 200 gr AB then before Friday Range Day. I ran out of new brass last weekend and my reorder should arrive tomorrow. FWIW Powder Valley has Nosler Custom 338 Win Mag brass in stock, or at least they did when I ordered.

Regards,

Texas

Back