Duplicating 7mm-08 performance in a .30-06

I'm looking forward to the execution of your plan, pharmseller. When Remington marketed the reduced recoil ammunition, many felt it was a godsend for young shooters. The concept is valid. We live at the time when the multiplicity of bullets, availability of powders with various burn rates and programs such as QL that permit computing a variety of capabilities allow us to craft some great ammunition. As I step up my grandsons to larger calibres, I'll be doing something similar.

DrMike":2qwr45h7 said:
I'm looking forward to the execution of your plan, pharmseller. When Remington marketed the reduced recoil ammunition, many felt it was a godsend for young shooters. The concept is valid. We live at the time when the multiplicity of bullets, availability of powders with various burn rates and programs such as QL that permit computing a variety of capabilities allow us to craft some great ammunition. As I step up my grandsons to larger calibres, I'll be doing something similar.

There's two racks hanging in the barn already. I'm really interested to see what this does on a bull.

P

pharmseller":2ga9cr0l said:
DrMike":2ga9cr0l said:

There's two racks hanging in the barn already. I'm really interested to see what this does on a bull.

P

Bullet placed in the right location at a reasonable distance and you'll be hanging a bulls rack in the barn as well.

OU812":gfbtmwr1 said:
pharmseller":gfbtmwr1 said:
DrMike":gfbtmwr1 said:

P

Bullet placed in the right location at a reasonable distance and you'll be hanging a bulls rack in the barn as well.
I agree.
I look forward to reading of the conclusion of a successful hunt and wish the young lad luck.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

One hundred thirty-nine and 140 grain cup and core bullets out of my 280 Rem (launched at somewhat moderate velocities) have accounted for quite a few head of large game. An erstwhile hunting partner using a 7mm-08 with 145 grain Speer Mag Tip bullets accounted for quite a few mule deer, elk and moose while I was hunting with him. If those cartridges with those bullets will drop moose and elk here in BC, I have no doubt that a 150 grain bullet from a .30-06 will drop elk in the Lower Forty-Eight when the bullet is put right and energy levels are sufficient at terminal velocity.

The good news is, we're hunting in an area where a long shot is 125 yards. I'm also training him to shoot from a kneeling position, so I expect the accuracy to be there. A good combination.

Like they say, though, 99% is finding them!

P

Sounds as if your lad is about set. Go find the elk. :) I'm taking my grandson out for a moose in a couple of weeks. He's toting a 260 Rem loaded with 140 grain A-Frames. They will work.

pharmseller":3r9gw1jb said:
Hey, that's great! How old is he?

P

Thirteen. Ran into a friend who had his fourteen year old son at the gun range last Friday. The boy is getting ready for moose this fall. I asked how his hunting has gone in the past couple of years. He told me had taken two deer and can't wait to take his moose. He was shooting a .270 and putting that load where it belongs. I think he may just bring home eat this year. Another gentleman at church was telling me how his son and friend were calling a bull elk last fall. The bull hung up in some of the nastiest brush imaginable in a deep valley. Wayne asked his son why they didn't go down after him, and the boy said it looked pretty steep. Wayne laughed and said, "Yeah, I've taken more than a few out of those valleys. That's where the big boys live." The boys went back the next week after the elk. All they needed was a little encouragement to struggle. It is the same when watching young boys go on their first sheep hunt. They just need a little encouragement. I love seeing these boys entering into the hunt.

Who is the little girly-coward moderator last night, who was messing with my legitimate posts about Rattle Snakes? So far, no coward's come forward. If you see him, tell him that I am looking for the little rat coward, who stepped on my 1st Amendment protected, legitimate post.

I think I will write the President of Nosler. Maybe he could out the little coward? I have bought over $40,000 worth of Nosler products in the past 52 years and no little pimp coward is going to mess with my right to post, guaranteed!

Are you out there little Hilary a-s kiss girl?

Charlie it is time to stop your attitude is absolutely awful. If you don't like it here you are free to leave. This forum has always been full of good people who treat each other with respect. If you wish to discuss it further you are free to pm me but this thread doesn't need to go in this direction anymore. My apologies to pharmseller on having this thread go sideways.

Kiss his butt if you wish Gerry. Grow a pair, if somebody (a Moderator) is messing with my posts which were perfectly harmless and above board, about snakes. If the little maggot, Moderator, can't or won't take credit for infringing on my 1st Amendment rights to post an informative post about snakes without him pillorying it. I have no sympathy for him. He gets my full wrath and deserves it!

You are Canadian, so what in the hell do you know about the First Amendment rights? Back off! I was just having some fun last night with the Mountain Man comments. I was correct about that as well! If you can't handle that, get off my butt! No hate intended.

When this little maggot fesses up to pillaging my posts, I will back off. I have bought about $40,000 worth of Nosler bullets and stuff in the last 52 years and I am not going to have my site rights taken away by some BOY with a head full of Hillaryness!!!!!!!

I have been impressed with Varget but at the moment don't have any loads with the powder. Been quite impressed with H 4895 recently in my wife's 6.5x55. When I get the 308 Norma Mag up and running I plan on having a load with a powder like one of those or maybe Big Game and a 165 gr bullet to go along with a full power load. Would make a great low recoil load and still break 3000 fps

Nobody here has a first amendment right as it's a privately owned forum.
Why don't you stop pissing in the soup ?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I hit the range this afternoon after work. Ran a bunch of loads through the .30-06, mainly a seating depth test using 49.0 grains of Varget with the 150 NAB. Two loads showed tremendous promise, 3.342" and 3.302" both shot slightly sub moa in very windy conditions. I might just split the difference at 3.322" and see what happens.

Funny, I ran three of my hot hunting loads through it as fouling rounds. Cloverleaf group! Kicked like a mule, though. I was pleasantly surprised at how mild the Varget loads were. I'm going to load a couple tonight and run them over the chrono tomorrow morning while it's still cold. I'll let y'all know the speed.

P

gerry":3ihesavp said:
Charlie it is time to stop your attitude is absolutely awful. If you don't like it here you are free to leave. This forum has always been full of good people who treat each other with respect. If you wish to discuss it further you are free to pm me but this thread doesn't need to go in this direction anymore. My apologies to pharmseller on having this thread go sideways.

No worries, Gerry. Seems like there's always one, doesn't it?

P

pharmseller":39okej3r said:
I hit the range this afternoon after work. Ran a bunch of loads through the .30-06, mainly a seating depth test using 49.0 grains of Varget with the 150 NAB. Two loads showed tremendous promise, 3.342" and 3.302" both shot slightly sub moa in very windy conditions. I might just split the difference at 3.322" and see what happens.

Funny, I ran three of my hot hunting loads through it as fouling rounds. Cloverleaf group! Kicked like a mule, though. I was pleasantly surprised at how mild the Varget loads were. I'm going to load a couple tonight and run them over the chrono tomorrow morning while it's still cold. I'll let y'all know the speed.

P

Varget is a top notch 308 powder so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise it work well in it's bigger brother. Curious what would you compare the recoil to after shooting the Varget load? I'm guessing it probably wasn't much different than your 7mm-08.

Gerry, just be very glad that you Canadian's did not elect Ne-ratty Russian-ief from Ha-a-arvard as your Prime minister in the last election. You would have no guns and no hunting seasons by now had you elected that snake.

We are fighting for our lives, freedom and Christianity in this country. Maybe I am crochety but my 105 pound, 5'2" wife used to hunt with a .30-06!!!!! Get real!

Pharmaseller, I was joking last night but not now fairy boy! Twirl that little curly moustache some more cutie! Mangez ma merde, Twit?

Back