Duplicating 7mm-08 performance in a .30-06

pharmseller":22lg3oe4 said:
I hit the range this afternoon after work. Ran a bunch of loads through the .30-06, mainly a seating depth test using 49.0 grains of Varget with the 150 NAB. Two loads showed tremendous promise, 3.342" and 3.302" both shot slightly sub moa in very windy conditions. I might just split the difference at 3.322" and see what happens.

Funny, I ran three of my hot hunting loads through it as fouling rounds. Cloverleaf group! Kicked like a mule, though. I was pleasantly surprised at how mild the Varget loads were. I'm going to load a couple tonight and run them over the chrono tomorrow morning while it's still cold. I'll let y'all know the speed.

P

Pharmseller,

I think you are on the right track with your boy. Looking forward to seeing some pictures from a successful hunt.

JD338

Charlie,

You're showing signs of paranoia. You're lashing out madly in every direction. There is no need for that. Your "joking" last evening was deliberately insulting and malicious. You attempted to exalt your own prowess to denigrate Pharseller's son--whom you don't even know! There was nothing funny about your assault or the effort to castigate all men and boys younger than you and I. Gerry wrote a reasoned plea for you to stop and you attacked him on the basis of his nationality. Questioning the masculinity of the moderators and anyone who challenges you speaks to your own insecurities more than it exposes the character of anyone else. Your tone is deliberately combative. Charlie, as kindly as possible, you are out of control and way out of line. I say this as a friend who is concerned for you.

OK I will say this is enough. I for one did not edit anything and if a mod here did it he had a right to do so as it is his duty.
You have been warned in the past and evidentily you do not learn!!!!!

You know both mods on here and to call us what you did shows absolutely no remorse despite the various warnings.

So bye Charlie.

Thank you Fotis.
I for one think it was long overdue. I'm sorry to see Charlie go but more importantly I wish he could see that he needs help and get that help.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

gerry":11j62m60 said:
pharmseller":11j62m60 said:
I hit the range this afternoon after work. Ran a bunch of loads through the .30-06, mainly a seating depth test using 49.0 grains of Varget with the 150 NAB. Two loads showed tremendous promise, 3.342" and 3.302" both shot slightly sub moa in very windy conditions. I might just split the difference at 3.322" and see what happens.

Funny, I ran three of my hot hunting loads through it as fouling rounds. Cloverleaf group! Kicked like a mule, though. I was pleasantly surprised at how mild the Varget loads were. I'm going to load a couple tonight and run them over the chrono tomorrow morning while it's still cold. I'll let y'all know the speed.

P

Varget is a top notch 308 powder so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise it work well in it's bigger brother. Curious what would you compare the recoil to after shooting the Varget load? I'm guessing it probably wasn't much different than your 7mm-08.

Sometimes things work out. I originally picked Varget because I had a bunch of it, no other reason. I tried it in my 7mm-08 and got good accuracy but only modest velocity. I switched to Big Game in the little 7 and never looked back. But boy howdy, I'm sure happy with Varget in the .30-06.

Recoil wise the two loads are indistinguishable.

P

I'm just starting to see some Ramshot on the shelves locally. Looking forward to seeing it more often again. Same goes for Varget. Another excellent powder. Can't wait to see how the 06 works for your boy. Thinking it'll be a killing load. Seems like a slew of elk were taken with the old 300 Savage and your a little quicker.

I thought it would recoil about the same, good to know these things for the future if we get a 30-06 as a heavier gun for my wife.

Pharmseller -

I am curious, do you think that the 150 AccuBond will be a better one for elk than the 150 grain Partition? I too have been dropping the velocity and bullet weight slightly in my .30-06 since they are a bit more pleasant to shoot that way.

Please keep us in touch, I love to celebrate with the successful hunter no matter what the age!

Dale

filmjunkie4ever":3prb0o0w said:
Pharmseller -

I am curious, do you think that the 150 AccuBond will be a better one for elk than the 150 grain Partition? I too have been dropping the velocity and bullet weight slightly in my .30-06 since they are a bit more pleasant to shoot that way.

Please keep us in touch, I love to celebrate with the successful hunter no matter what the age!

Dale

I didn't start this thread to brag on my kid, but I will anyway. (y)

He shot this rock chuck in the head at 275 using a .223. Said that's where he was aiming, but you never know.

LongRangeChuckCade_zpsbd55275c.jpg

His first buck. A good first deer, since he could improve on it the next year.

100_1434_zps74ff05cb.jpg

Regarding the difference between NP and AccuBond, I haven't seen any difference in performance between the two. My hunting party (all family) has killed 1 buck and 1 bull with 140 NP from the 7mm-08, 4 mulie bucks and an antelope with the 140 NAB, and three bucks with the 150 NAB from a .30-06. None went more than 10 feet. I'm convinced it's 99.9% placement, anyway.

P

Dale,

I too agree that it's bullet placement.

In the 30-06 I'm going to be using a 180 grain Barnes TTSX on my moose hunt for more penetration. I'd use the same for elk. I'm inclined to look at the 150 grain as a deer load in the 30-06.

Not to disparage Nosler but if you went with a 165 grain TTSX I think you'd get more penetration and it would be a good compromise load.

If you're set on the 150 grain bullets I'd look to a mono metal bullet. I've only had experience with Hornady and Barnes in the mono metals so I can't speak of others. I can tell you I prefer the Barnes of the two I mentioned.

As for the AccuBond and Partition, they're both great and I'd go with whichever one shot best in my, or your son's, rifle.

Somewhere in my long diatribe I may have touch on the subject matter at hand. :)

Vince

Pharmseller,

Your son is doing well. I'm always thrilled to see a new generation participating in this sport that means so much to so many. Good job on raising a fine young man.

Vince":1mynewug said:
Dale,

In the 30-06 I'm going to be using a 180 grain Barnes TTSX on my moose hunt for more penetration. I'd use the same for elk. I'm inclined to look at the 150 grain as a deer load in the 30-06.

Not to disparage Nosler but if you went with a 165 grain TTSX I think you'd get more penetration and it would be a good compromise load.

If you're set on the 150 grain bullets I'd look to a mono metal bullet. I've only had experience with Hornady and Barnes in the mono metals so I can't speak of others. I can tell you I prefer the Barnes of the two I mentioned.

As for the AccuBond and Partition, they're both great and I'd go with whichever one shot best in my, or your son's, rifle.

Somewhere in my long diatribe I may have touch on the subject matter at hand. :)

Vince

Vince,
It's my understanding, purely from what I've read, that the monometal bullets thrive with velocity. With velocity comes recoil, which I'm trying to avoid.

Regarding penetration, none of us have caught an AccuBond bullet on any of the critters. In fact, the only bullet any of us has recovered was the 140 Partition from the 7mm-08, caught under the hide on the opposite side of a very dead bull. Since the 150 NAB load is the ballistic twin of the 7mm-08 load, I have no concerns about penetration given the distances (under 150 yards) my son is likely to shoot.

P

I'd have 0 concerns about that load Pharm.... They aren't made of Kevlar. On those sorta shots you mentioned elk will stand no chance. I'd hunt moose with that combo and not worry much. The ABs will hold up perfectly.

I loaded up 24 more, eight each at three different depths. 3.342" was really good, as was 3.302", so I loaded at 3.312", 3.322", and 3.332". I'm chasing a single-holer, but that's more for me than for him.

P

I chrono'ed 3 rounds this morning, temp 64 degrees.

49.0 grains Varget, 150 NAB, WLRM (magnum not needed but I use them for everything).

Low 2863
High 2884
Ave 2875
ES 21

Right in line with book results. This will do.

P

Yeah, that sounds like a cream puff sorta load. I think that'll do just fine for what you wanna do!

I concur that this load will work very well. Nice, tight chronograph data which can only lend confidence in the load. Good work.

Vince":1gk3plc4 said:
Dale,

Vince

Could not agree more Vince.

I have pretty much settled on 3 bullets in my .30-06 and depending on how I sight it in they all pretty much follow the same trajectory.

I use the 150 Nosler BT for deer or antelope (2900-2950 fps mv) and sight it about 1.5" high at 100 yards.

I use the 165 Nosler PT for all-around type hunts (deer and elk hunts; 2800 fps mv) and sight it 2" high at 100 yards.

And if I feel the need for a 180 grainer, (moose or bear) I typically use the Hornady Spire Point (BTSP or SP doesn't seem to matter at 2700 fps mv).

They all drop about 6-8" at 300 yards and about 24" at 400 yards. About 95% of the big game I have shot has been 200 yards or closer so the trajectory while nice to know, isn't as important to me as I once though it was. Making a good shot is the most important thing.

I had some trouble with some of the monolithic bullets back in the day at .30-06 velocity so have returned to lead bonded or cup and core and couldn't be happier.

Honestly while a 150 shoots flatter and a 180 hits harder and the 165 is the "best" (what ever that means) compromise, a .30-06 is a .30-06 no matter what bullet you shoot in it. It does the job if you will do yours.

Thanks Vince. This has been a very enjoyable thread despite various offered detours. :)

Thanks for the pics Pharmseller. You have a son to be proud of.

Dale

I reload reduced loads for my wife's 30-06.

Use a 150 NPT over H4895. Muzzle velocity is right at 2,500 fps.

That load is only about 100 fps faster than a 30-30. But with a better BC, It starts with over 2,000 ft-lbs and carries over 1,000 to 350 yards.

RaySendero":3ak6gsqw said:
I reload reduced loads for my wife's 30-06.

Use a 150 NPT over H4895. Muzzle velocity is right at 2,500 fps.

That load is only about 100 fps faster than a 30-30. But with a better BC, It starts with over 2,000 ft-lbs and carries over 1,000 to 350 yards.

That sounds like a great load. My old 300 savage did the same velocity wise and it accounted for a few deer right smartly.

Back