Deer camp picnic

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Annual deer camp pre season cookout is tomorrow. Everyone in our camp and their family gathers for a picnic and camp/property clean up day. In the smoker is:
“slim Jim’s”
Hot links
Turkey kielbasa
Beef/pork kielbasa

When those are done this evening, 4 racks of baby backs and a butt for pulled pork.

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 11
Looks like fun, how long is your season? Can you hunt with a bow and then go to rifle season
Bow season comes in the end of September then rifle season comes in for 2 weeks at thanksgiving then bow runs to the end of the year. Thrown in there somewhere is muzzleloading and an early rifle doe days and the bear archery and rifle seasons. Then in the winter is “heritage days” when only sidehammer muzzleloaders are legal. We’re fortunate to be only 90 minutes from camp. We have this day to clean up, cut brush and take an inventory of what the cabin needs for the season. During season there’s almost always someone up there at any time, but the first week of rifle is when everyone shows up.

As a kid we use to be able to hunt mule deer for a month and elk for two weeks following deer season. Mule deer is now 9 days and Rocky mtn elk has two seasons either a five day or a nine day second season. Thankfully I’ve friends in Montana I can go hunt with to extend the fix I need. Also in Oregon you have to choose archery, modern firearm or muzzle loader. You can’t start with a bow and end with a muzzle loader. I use to start the first of sept and go to after thanksgiving.
We do have some traditions hanging on. Even though the seasons are shorter I have pitched a tent, or slept in one Dad or one of my Uncles had set up, in this same spot for the majority of the last 56 years. I am envious of your deer camp traditions.

Attachments

• IMG_8016.jpeg
    IMG_8016.jpeg
    969.9 KB · Views: 6
For a lot of you folks deer camp is an actual camp. For us hunting was done on the back of the farm and camp was going up to the house where Ma had breakfast ready. After her passing in 2017 that breakfast doesn’t exist , now just bring something along and throw it in the fridge.

For many years deer camp was a surplus Army tent with liner and a little wood stove. Had a bunch of fun hunting out of that tent it didn’t have a floor, we just used a tarp, and once, in the middle of the night, the legs on my cot at the head collapsed and I slid head and neck under the wall outside in the snow 😂. 10 years ago we bought some land and built the cabin.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpeg
    IMG_1216.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1217.jpeg
    IMG_1217.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
For many years deer camp was a surplus Army tent with liner and a little wood stove. Had a bunch of fun hunting out of that tent it didn’t have a floor, we just used a tarp, and once, in the middle of the night, the legs on my cot at the head collapsed and I slid head and neck under the wall outside in the snow 😂. 10 years ago we bought some land and built the cabin.
Nice cabin.

Back