Range Day 9.3x74R.

Oldtrader3

Ammo Smith
Nov 6, 2009
Bullet: Case Primer Powder Grs Load Velocity
270 gr Speer Semi Hornady CCI BR-2 IMR H380 61.0 2320
286 Norma Semi Norma Fed 210 IMR 4350 64.5 2530?
286 gr Partition Nosler Fed 210 IMR 4064 57.0 2390

f68697b8-705d-4316-8319-2fc983fa79e5_zpsd4e28013.jpg

Note: the 270 gr Speer with the H380 powder shot a 4 inch vertical group. This group was dropped from consideration and is not posted on target. The target shown offers pictures of the 286 Norma bullet and the 286 Partition bullet only as they shot the two best groups of the session.

Charlie,

That looks pretty good. What's your load on this? Did you chronograph the load? I should imagine that would drop an elk or a bear right smartly.

DrMike, I can not find my phone cord for the Chrono! I lugged all of the stuff out there to the range and no cord. I will chrono these by next week. The IMR 4350 load kicks about 25% more than the H-380 load and the target shows that the 4350 load is 2 inches below the impact point of the 4064 loads. The two groups are essentially the same size. I need to do some more load work and test these again with the Chrono for a better comparison. This was mainly a sight-in session and get started with loads comparison. More to follow.

The groups are not very good? I do not know if this is me of a combination of heavy crosshairs and low scope power (5X)?

The 9.3X74R is a fascinating cartridge. Perhaps the groups are not what you want, but they are more than adequate for game at the distance you'd normally see it. I can imagine that rifle and cartridge would work very well indeed along the WA and OR coast, or even in the mountains to your east.

I bought it to mostly use as a jungle rifle for the Olympic Peninsula, Roosevelt elk. I wanted a DRT, elk hammer without going to a .375 H&H. This should serve that purpose. Unfortunately I have to make a decision. run full power and live with heavy recoil in an (8) pound rifle. Or back off and use 250 grain bullets at 2300 fps. Big difference in recoil between 286 gr at 2500 and 250 grain at 2300!

Oldtrader3":28e6qq89 said:
Big difference in recoil between 286 gr at 2500 and 250 grain at 2300!

I'll say! That will be an excellent cartridge for Roosevelt elk on the Peninsula. Trust you get the opportunity to whack one.

DrMike, what do you do with your 9.3x62? Do you load it up to capacity with 250 grain bullets? You have killed one moose with it as I remember. That was a 250 AccuBond which you used for moose, was it not?

I have AccuBond 250 grain, Speer; 270 grain, Norma and Partition, 286 grain bullets to wade through and test, plus IMR 4064 and 4350. What are others using for powder and bullets in their 9.3x74R and 9.3x62 rifles?

I am trying to get back I some sort of shape for hunting, where at least I can walk and sit if I need to. I need to scout and find a good ambush point. My son would need to go with me. If I get stuck, at least he can help get me back to the truck. I have a handicapped license anyhow which allows me to shoot from non-paved roads (not across them), or shoot from the car on these roads if needed. If I ever were to shoot another elk, I would need lots of help getting it dressed and out of the woods.

Charlie,

Mine is a 9.3X64 Brenneke rather than the 9.3X62. I would enjoy having a 9.3X62, but mine is the Brenneke. I do load up the 250 grain AccuBond with a full-power load as my hunting load. I continue to work with other bullets, though none have given me the combination accuracy/velocity to induce me to use something other than what I have. Actually, this particular cartridge has accounted for a whitetail buck last fall. It is blooded, but I've been influenced unduly by Fotis--use your big stuff for varmints. :mrgreen:

I have a rat problem under my shed by the bird feeder. I wonder what a rat would look like hit by a 276 Norma 9.3 softpoint at 2400 fps? LOL! We also have a raccoon problem here also and I have had two of my favorite cats eaten by them. I killed one with a .243 (80 grain) but he did not die quickly. Next time it will be the 9.3x74R 250 grain!

Sorry about the caliber mistake, DrMike, a senor moment! The only bullet that I have tried in my 9.3x74R, and deserves further testing is the 276 grain Norma, aside from the Partition of course. It shoots nearly as well as the 276 Partition. I have not shot the 250 grain Accubonds yet. That is next on the menu.

The groups shot on the above target are Partitions, right; and Norma 276 grains center. The groups are about the same, despite dispersion, some of which may be me!

I have had good luck with H-4831SC Charlie. Yeah, one needs to burn more of it, but seems to reduce recoil velocity and impulse some. And yet very accurate all the way up the ladder for me in this Encore tube. I peaked a little quick with the faster powders listed. But then the velocity was plenty even with those.

Charlie - looks like you've got quite an elk-buster there!

Best of luck with it this fall.

Regards, Guy

Oldtrader3":3ncn6ua4 said:
I have a rat problem under my shed by the bird feeder. I wonder what a rat would look like hit by a 276 Norma 9.3 softpoint at 2400 fps? LOL! We also have a raccoon problem here also and I have had two of my favorite cats eaten by them. I killed one with a .243 (80 grain) but he did not die quickly. Next time it will be the 9.3x74R 250 grain!

Yes, I should imagine that the 9.3X74 would work for rats and possibly even for raccoons (though it is marginal). :grin:

Charging raccoons are hard to knock down with the first shot! However, I have some 300 grain Hornady solids if I need them?

Dave, I will try some H-4831 if I can find a can. I can use it in the 7mm Rem Mag as well. I have some IMR 7828 SSC on hand as well that I can try. The IMR 4350 has given me the best results so far.

Guy, I think that a 250 grain AccuBond at 2500 fps or a 276 grain Partition at 2390 will do for Roosevelt elk in the western part of Washington.

I'd think those loads will do fine for any elk, anywhere.

Or raccoons.

:mrgreen:

It is a good start and I enjoy shooting cartridges, especially for larger game. Even if I will never hunt it, I can get some Walter Mitty-ish enjoyment from shooting the rifles that were used in the old days.

Thank you but I still have some load work to do to find a heavy load and a moderate one for fooling around.

Man Charlie have you got a thumper there for sure! That 'Velt won't know what hit em!

I really have a itch to scratch with a 9.3. I still kick myself for not jumping on that model 54 that was all done correctly 6 months ago. Oh well.

Great job again!

Those are some great loads you've got Charlie. That Norma Oryx is really a classy bullet as well. Heck, all three are pretty danged neat in their own respects.

With the ranges you'd probably be shooting an elk in your country, I can't see the need to run it real warm. Even a 250 AB at around 2300-2400 would be thunderous.

Back