Range, how far is too far with a pistol?

Ridgerunner665":3ts4jwwc said:
I'm using 2 different barrels.... One of them is 1-16, the other is 1-9.84.

The faster twist barrel with the slower velocity has the same RPM's.

Gotcha! Tracking now.

Well, a minimum lead of Unique under 200 XTP produced 921 fps from the stock Glock (6") barrel...

That's too fast to make the twist match.

Well, a minimum load of Unique under a 200 XTP produced 921 fps from the stock Glock (6") barrel...

That's too fast to make the twist match.

I'm gonna have to do this at range.... I'm gonna do it at 100 yards (1,080 fps) instead of 150 though.

Sorry ladies and gentlemen... No data.

I hit the jugs, just below the lids (100 yards)... The bullet tore up the top of the first 4 jugs, deflected upwards a tiny bit and left the scene.

Based on the 3rd entrance hole there was some expansion, but who knows...

The mess....

The first jug...

The 3rd jug....

SJB358":361g10us said:
Ridgerunner665":361g10us said:
Looking over Hornady load data and the powders I have, it appears I should be able to get the 200 XTP loaded down to around 850 fps using Unique.

I'd be careful judging expansion using reduced loads RR. They don't have the same RPMS as a bullet going full tilt so they do expand differently.

So if you shot a slow load from a slow barrel with a slow twist and it expanded would it not prove that it would expand from the faster barrel at the same velocity meaning it would work at whatever distance you are setting as a maximum?

I have no idea I'm just asking if it would/wouldn't?

HeathSexton":2oriskej said:
SJB358":2oriskej said:
Ridgerunner665":2oriskej said:
Looking over Hornady load data and the powders I have, it appears I should be able to get the 200 XTP loaded down to around 850 fps using Unique.

I'd be careful judging expansion using reduced loads RR. They don't have the same RPMS as a bullet going full tilt so they do expand differently.

So if you shot a slow load from a slow barrel with a slow twist and it expanded would it not prove that it would expand from the faster barrel at the same velocity meaning it would work at whatever distance you are setting as a maximum?

I have no idea I'm just asking if it would/wouldn't?

I think it would Heath. I just haven't seen reduced loads coming from the same twist act the same once they are slowed down. Seems like RPM's help more than most notice.

I was actually going to try the experiment with a pair of .308's or 7mm's to kinda show the difference but since PB is down I am holding off until I get something I like for posting pictures. :evil:

Back