Range Report on 11/28/08

ArmyCW

Beginner
Oct 29, 2008
I tested four different powder on Friday. IMR 4064 is still base powder with 150 & 165 gr BTSP Hornady's. IMR 4350 shot best groups from the 4064, then H4350 with H414 real bad shots... all over.

rifle003.jpg

longwinters":9rq7rd5z said:
I must have missed something. What caliber and bullets are you shooting?

Long

Yep, you missed it. On the bottom of the score keeper show caliber
as 30-06. This is a Douglas Barrel with 100 rounds thru it so far.
B&C stock, I glass bedded the reciver lug, Timney trigger and
3-9X 40mm Nikon Buckmaster. I cleaned the barrel before I started Friday
and cleaned between each powder I shot, let the barrel cool between each 3 shots and almost cold between 12 again a 24 shots. Very little wind that day. I started about 9 am and finished about 12 noon. I recorded and marked all on paper. Just not sure where to go from here.
Why do 165 gr bullets shoot higher and to right of 150 gr bullets. I shot 6 bullets of each powder with 2 gr seperation ...same with 165 gr bullets.
All Hornady BTSP from same package. All powders are new within last month. WLR primers and R/P cases necked...full resize and max length is
2.494 I have about 250 virgin Remington brass ready to go but would like to confirm a good accurate load before loading. Any advice?

Depending on what you want to shoot out of this gun (150 or 165) you might take a look at that 150gr group in the IMR4350 portion of the target (lower left). I think I'm reading that right. Anyway, shots 1, 2, & 3 are within about 1.5-1.7", and I suspect with a little tweaking you could get that down closer to an inch. But, you might also try a different powder. I'm not sure what, though, with a 30-06, would be the best choice. I'd instinctively go to one of the 4350's, which I think you did as well, with two of them, and neither really looked great.

What were the velocities of the best groups? Maybe consider tweaking seating depth on some of those charge weights and see what you get. Or buy a pound of something else to play with. Maybe your rifle just doesn't like Hornady bullets? Have you tried some Ballistic Tips yet? If not, an awful lot of rifles shoot those bullets really well, and they work wonders on deer at -06 velocities.

ArmyCW

Welcome to the forum.

When I had my 280 AI built, my gunsmith told me that it would take about 200 rounds before she would really start shooting. With the right combo, you should be in real fine shape.

JD338

You're on your way!

Welcome to the forum...HOOYA

JD338":22cldhnb said:
ArmyCW

Welcome to the forum.

When I had my 280 AI built, my gunsmith told me that it would take about 200 rounds before she would really start shooting. With the right combo, you should be in real fine shape.

JD338

I don't know who your gunsmith is, Doesn't matter.
I called Douglas Barrel. The technician there said send the barrel and reciever back to them, they would either fix the problem or replace the barrel.

ArmyCW

Rob Canz at Williams Gun Sight. I have 100% trust in Rob, everything he has told me has been spot on. BTW, my best group with this rifle went .092".

As A_S said, it might be worth trying a different bullet before you send your rifle back. I would give some BT's a try. Chances are if your rifle won't shoot a BT, it won't shoot.

JD338

JD338":3i3qwebv said:
ArmyCW

I would give some BT's a try. Chances are if your rifle won't shoot a BT, it won't shoot.

JD338

Truer words have never been spoken :shock:

POP":39c6jjqq said:
JD338":39c6jjqq said:
ArmyCW

I would give some BT's a try. Chances are if your rifle won't shoot a BT, it won't shoot.

JD338

Truer words have never been spoken :shock:[/quote

All of you have overlooked what I've written.
All Hornady BTSP from same package.
Hornady Boat Tail Spire Point bullets is what I've been shooting all along.
I've tried a box of 20 Remington 150 Core Locks with a flat base, groups not any better....

So did you at one point in time have a good group that you liked with the Hornady BTSP ? or are you still working up the load?

ArmyCW":1bjg325x said:
POP":1bjg325x said:
JD338":1bjg325x said:
ArmyCW

JD338

I've tried a box of 20 Remington 150 Core Locks with a flat base, groups not any better....

They haven't missed your point, what they are saying, is to try Nosler's Ballistic Tips (BT) or any other brand if you exhausted all avenues with the Hornady bullets. As mentioned have you tried different seating depths, primers? Quite possibly you set up doesn't like the Hornady bullet. Try only increasing in half grain increments, 2 grain jumps are quite a bit. Have you tried developing with a dirty barrel? Some rifles just won't shoot from a clean barrel. As for you POI differences from 150 to 165, different bullets, velocities, pressures and so on. I would consider myself extremely lucky to get two different bullets to shoot at the same POI.

The above is just my opinion.

Armycw- You are not the only guy who could not seem to get good groups from Hornady BTSP bullets. I spent a lot of time and money trying to get decent results in my 30:06. I tried four powders and three diferent case brands as well as seating depth changes. I simply gave up. My rifle shoots 165, 180, and 200 grain noslers all within 1 inch. In my case it ain,t the gun. Acually your groups look better than I got with Hornady bullets. It just looks like your gun don,t like em all that well. :roll: :roll:

Richracer1":36fxal60 said:
ArmyCW":36fxal60 said:
POP":36fxal60 said:
JD338":36fxal60 said:
ArmyCW

JD338

They haven't missed your point, what they are saying, is to try Nosler's Ballistic Tips (BT) or any other brand if you exhausted all avenues with the Hornady bullets. As mentioned have you tried different seating depths, primers? Quite possibly you set up doesn't like the Hornady bullet. Try only increasing in half grain increments, 2 grain jumps are quite a bit. Have you tried developing with a dirty barrel? Some rifles just won't shoot from a clean barrel. As for you POI differences from 150 to 165, different bullets, velocities, pressures and so on. I would consider myself extremely lucky to get two different bullets to shoot at the same POI.

The above is just my opinion.

Okay guys, I hear ya loud and clear... Here is my position. I can try Noslers..not a problem for me.. I have called Douglas Barrel Technician on several occasions, I tend to follow their advice.. They are the experts in making barrels, that's not disputable.. Within 30 seconds of me telling the tech my problem he says send the barrel/reciever back..minus the scope & stock.. I called a Sierra bullet technican..long discussion on bullets/powder, % of fill, cleaning barrels etc... Short stoy is what I'm doing is reasonable and % of fill in rifle brass case is old wife's tale.
Sierra said to clean barrel between brands of powder/ bullets...let barrel cool... etc... I did all that.. So, Who do I listen too..? The Technical experts! I think so. I don't mean to have a disput with those on the forum...not my style... But what's is your technical background in?
I'm sure you all have great experience... and I appreciate the advice for what it is... Thank you.
Kenny

Well CW, ya listen to both.
On average, Hornady hunting bullets dont' shoot very well in my rifles. I have another that will not shoot Sierra's at all, and several that will not shoot barnes bullets worth a darn, and my luck with partitions is mixed. All of these rifles shoot well with NBT's. My super target rifle shoots NBT's better then then Custom Comps (go figure that one :? )
My other "I need to really she what's going on with this rifle bullet" is the old spear flat base. They are a very stable bullet.
If your rifle will not shoot NBT's, nor Spear flat base, then I would send it back. I'm never suprised to hear a rifle does not shoot great with Hornady bullets.

Hey if the experts say send it back....especially if you get a new tube for free, go for it... 8)

Back