Range Report

YoteSmoker

Handloader
Oct 3, 2006
Well, after mid-90 to 100 degree temperatures the last month or so and being to hot to really do any kind of shooting, it got down to the 80's today and with the whole day off, I headed to the range. Muzzleloading season is coming up quick and a month later it will be rifle season. In the winter/srping months filled with cabin fever, I have a bad habit of switching scopes around, trying new loads, and stupid crap like that.

So today, I packed up my 243 w/ 3-9 3200 elite, 7 mag w/ 4.5-14 buckmaster, 204 w/ 5.5-15 monarch, and 30-06 with 3-9 burris.

Shortly after getting on paper, the 243 put em where i wanted with 85 TSX and 85 Gamekings 1.5" high at 100, left and right zeroed. Done deal.

With 4 clicks Left from my 32 v-max zeroed prairie dog load, the 40 ballistic tips were knocking out the center at 100. Done. Coyotes beware!

After getting back on paper with the 7 mag, I had the 160 partitions hitting 1.5" high at 100 where I wanted it, then tried out some 160 accubonds I was testing using RL-22. The same charge of RL-22 (63.0) worked out good with the accubonds and grouped with same POI as the Partitions....Think I'm going to go with the accubonds this year for the higher b.c. and longer range potential. Come on Elk season!

Now this is where I'm bewildered. This past January in about 30 degree weather, my 06 shot the 180 accubonds under 3/4" with RL-22. Now today, I was trying to get my gun sighted in for this load to use on elk and deer after playing around with 150 interlocks the past 6 months or so. My "groups" today were about 4" with only 10-15 rounds shot out of a clean barrel. The optics are tight, the barrel free floated, and stock glass bedded. I'm thinking the 50 degree difference in temperature with the RL-22 is the issue. At least thats all I can think of. I really don't want to wait for a lot cooler weather to get my groups to shrink back to sub MOA, but that's what I'm thinking it might take.

Your advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Check your loads, may have to pull one bullet after measuring to the ogive. Check powder weight and type.
Try a different scope.
Skim bed the action.Rick.

YoteSmoker,

I have had lot of experience with RL-22 in my 338 RUM. RL-22 is extremely temp sensitive. I have all the data if you would like to compare a little. all my loads are made here in texas where heat is without mentioning. I dont have any low temp info but i have several weeks worth of 75-100 degree info.

craiger40":cisab2og said:
YoteSmoker,

I have had lot of experience with RL-22 in my 338 RUM. RL-22 is extremely temp sensitive. I have all the data if you would like to compare a little. all my loads are made here in texas where heat is without mentioning. I dont have any low temp info but i have several weeks worth of 75-100 degree info.
....................I also believe that RL 22 being more temp sensative, is your problem......A hotter 60 to 70 degree difference, with a temp sensative powder will change your groups using the same loads...... Try the reverse! Find a load that will group well in the heat and then try that same loading in the much colder 30 degree weather and see what happens.

Also, if you don`t have one, you may also want to give a barrel de-resonator a try; that little rubber gizmo that slides onto your barrel to cut down on barrel writhe, vibration or resonance. That alone will reduce the size of your groups in any weather, even if the powder your using is more temp sensative......Works for me!...............

Well, I got back out to the range this today and sighted in my tc encore. We can't use scopes or sabots here. So, with open sights and 348 powerbelts I got it shooting 2.5" high at 50 yds, centered left and right and shot an inch and a half group at 100 yds 1.5" to the right of the bullseye. For using my 33 yr old naked eye and having all other guns scoped, I'll take it! Now if you're wondering why I didn't sight the smokepole in yesterday, shortly after I got to the range, I figured out my plan wasn't going to work so good....my powder and primers were sitting back at the house. DUH!!

That's about equally as dumb as a couple yrs ago when I opened my case to discover I had taken the wrong gun to the range and the range officer told me believed that maybe I had too many guns!

Since I needed to sight in the m.l. I figured I'd take my dad's 6.5 swed and my savage mk II 22 long rifle along and play with them for a bit.

I zeroed the 6.5 2" high at 100 which will put it dead nutz at 200 and about 8 inches low at 300, my personal max range with that gun on a deer. I was using 129 interlock bullets. I just love the light recoil of this rifle. It was nice of my dad to suggest I should bring it back with me to work up some loads for him....was a nice gesture on his part :)

I put a box of mini mags through the 22 at 50 yards and it put them inside the little dot targets like they had eyes. The squirrels will wish they had bullet proof helmets someday. It was fun shooting the 22 while letting the bigger gun cool down.

So all in all, not bad 6 rifles ready to go in two days and one giving me a headache....maybe not for long...there's a gunshow in town next weekend.

I've had similar results using other powders. you might try using hodgdon brand extreme powders, worked well with my reloads.

Back