RCBS Automatic Priming Tool

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I found a good deal on a second hand RCBS Automatic Priming Tool.
I don't think this one had ever been used.
Previously I have done all of my priming with RCBS and Lee handheld primers and on press with the Lee Classic Turret safety prime.

I set up the APT this afternoon and primed 200 9mm brass.
I like how this tool works. Not being familiar with it, I did jam one primer partially into a case with a crimped primer pocket. As I got familiar with it I could detect the crimped pockets by feel. I set those aside, gave them a couple of twists with a Lyman chamfer tool and seated primers without any issue.
With having to load the primer tubes, this may not be the fastest priming tool but once the tubes were filled it operated very well and seated primers with very little effort.

I used an RCBS shell holder for most of them but did try a Lee shell holder and it worked fine.

This may not be the tool for everybody but this one works as well as advertised.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448750180.621155.jpg

I have one. My only gripe is I spend more time filling the tubes than actually priming. These days I only use it for cartridges that I do not have shell holders for my old circular Lee hand priming tool. Those tubes for the RCBS tool are not exactly cheap. I'd want at least ten of the large and small tubes as when I load handgun ammo, it's in large batches. Last run of .38 Spl. ammo was something like 1,800 rounds. I have like amounts of .357 Mag., .44 Spl. and Mags to not to mention about 3,500 .45 ACP. :shock: The hold up is I still have to cast the bullets so I can finish the job. Probably start the casting mid January after I come home from my elk hunt. Brass is already prepped and just need priming, powdering and bullet seating.
Paul B.

PJGunner":34l7cit5 said:
I have one. My only gripe is I spend more time filling the tubes than actually priming. These days I only use it for cartridges that I do not have shell holders for my old circular Lee hand priming tool. Those tubes for the RCBS tool are not exactly cheap. I'd want at least ten of the large and small tubes as when I load handgun ammo, it's in large batches. Last run of .38 Spl. ammo was something like 1,800 rounds. I have like amounts of .357 Mag., .44 Spl. and Mags to not to mention about 3,500 .45 ACP. :shock: The hold up is I still have to cast the bullets so I can finish the job. Probably start the casting mid January after I come home from my elk hunt. Brass is already prepped and just need priming, powdering and bullet seating.
Paul B.
Paul, get yourself a Dillon 550 and some conversion plates and have a ball. Quick reloading advertised 550 rds per hour and you can use your present dies and you can also use it to seat primers in your rifle cases as well with the right shell plate and have more time for other things. (y)

Back