Recoil Intolerance..what gives?

It would be foolishness not to admit new ammo and barrels/ guns are on the average more accurate than a generation ago but the smaller groups can also be contributed to the lower recoil rounds .my generation grew up in the bigger is better max horse power world and the new generation grew up letting technology do the work . That said some of our generation was into less recoil sleeker bullets and loads or we would not have .270 . .308. .243

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Guy, try something mild like a 30-30, or 243 with a good monometal premium bullet. One of the Mercury recoil reducers could help too.

If all that fails, get him a 308 in a gas operated auto, load light loads for practice and run. Standard loads to hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the 7-08 kicks too much with a muzzle brake there's little you can do except possibly add a recoil pad to the clothing (more mimicking hunting clothing) and adding weight to the rifle.

Since Elk is on the menu, you wouldn't want to lighten the load too much.

Here’s a thought... if he is really skinny he might not be getting sma good fit. A skinny face/head could lead to a poor cheek weld. He could be popping himself in the cheek at the shot.

ozarkpugs":1st98eg1 said:
It would be foolishness not to admit new ammo and barrels/ guns are on the average more accurate than a generation ago but the smaller groups can also be contributed to the lower recoil rounds .my generation grew up in the bigger is better max horse power world and the new generation grew up letting technology do the work . That said some of our generation was into less recoil sleeker bullets and loads or we would not have .270 . .308. .243

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Ya, the fellow is 80 years old, so I don't think it's a generational thing. :grin:

I'll talk to him about an additional recoil pad on his jacket or vest.

TheBear - hmm - good thought. I'll see what's going on with his face and the stock. I can pad that too!

Guy

This is where a super accurate .223 Rem in a bolt gun, or a hot .22 would be useful!

Yah, I used to love any of the big 8mm Remington's converted to wildcats, Kenny's 300 Jarrett was my favorite, but so was the STW, STA version. Oh, and Lazzeroni's cartridges, his 8.59 Galaxy was my go to cartridge in a McBros Action built by Mark Bansner way back when that was cool....... I'm not a fan of thin barrels, or fluting for that matter, but it did take a lot of BG animals. The days of finding brass in a crunch was why I sold all those rifles off.

Come to think of it, had I kept my first wildcat, the 7mm Boo Boo, I'd still be able to find that brass to form! Jarrett still sells his own brass made by Norma, I just went a different direction and the heavy 230 Berger hybrid in the 300 Norma in a 1:8" Twist barrel because the recoil of my TRG-42 in 338 LM was too much, and that was with a TBAC can, but still too much on my neck! And guess what the Army is going to use that case as their long range sniper round. Lapua, Peterson, and others have already been making brass for this case, and for good reason. So that's a huge bonus, and rightfully so, it's a great case!

You know, lay down behind a gun prone with a lot of recoil and shoot a lot and see how after years what that does for your neck ache! I still get neck a ache with a 6mm after 100 rounds a week, or 200 in a weekend...... it adds up, but maybe I'm just getting old....... Yah, that's it in a nut shell, age. The more you shoot, the truth is one day it will catch up to you. Simple math, a numbers game, anything you do in excess is one day going to catch up to you? Well maybe...... Scotty is still young enough! lol

Guy you could also have a mercury recoil reducer put into the butt of the stock. Those things work great in shotgun stocks along with a good recoil pad when shooting long strings of clay birds.
Yeah they add weight but you can eliminate that problem by lightening the stock in various areas.

I am not a fan of recoil either but did shoot my 375 Hurt & Hurt for many years using a 230gr. Speers traveling at 3,000fps :wink:. On the bench she was not real fun but in the field I can't really say I noticed any recoil.
I also had a Citori O/U for 25 years and put through one heck of a lot of 3" BB waterfowl hunting and then 3" #6 lead for late Pheasants. I remember many a day after a great duck that I took my shirt off and had a real yellowy blue left shoulder :mrgreen:.
I did have a Mercury damper placed in my 35 Whelen and it is a pleasure to shoot even off the bench it doesn't bite much more than my 270win or the 280AI.
Both my sons used a BDL700 in a 243win to get started and they are not afraid of any recoil.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1wjil8wu said:
I remember many a day after a great duck that I took my shirt off and had a real yellowy blue left shoulder :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Well there is your problem, You shooting of the wrong shoulder!

Thebear_78":19a7heve said:
sask boy":19a7heve said:
I remember many a day after a great duck that I took my shirt off and had a real yellowy blue left shoulder :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Excellent response! Nearly spit my coffee onto my keyboard.

It's interesting, how my views on recoil change when I start thinking about shooting an 80-120 round rifle match, or shooting 300+ rounds at sage rats/other varmints in one day...

Then I want nothing to do with any rifle producing much recoil. My varmint rifle is a 204 Ruger. My match rifle is still a 308 Win, though that will likely change to one of the 6.5's when I'm done with this 308 barrel & components. Looks like my supply of 30 cal match bullets and this Krieger may expire about the same time. Maybe.

But for big game hunting... Sure. Sight it in, do some practice, then take it hunting. I can still deal with the 375 just fine, but honestly don't want to mess with anything bigger or more powerful. And I really do love using that soft-kicking 25-06 for most of my hunting.

Guy

TB & Mike, you guys never miss a opportunity to get a dig in :lol:.
Oh well that is what makes this forum the best on the Net :grin:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2vbu8iph said:
TB & Mike, you guys never miss a opportunity to get a dig in :lol:.
Oh well that is what makes this forum the best on the Net :grin:.

Blessings,
Dan

Dig???? :? What "dig?" I can't imagine what you're talking 'bout, Dan! :wink:

DrMike":3d8pc000 said:
Thebear_78":3d8pc000 said:
sask boy":3d8pc000 said:

Blessings,
Dan

Excellent response! Nearly spit my coffee onto my keyboard.

Dan,

Pay these characters no mind!
Only those of us in our "right" minds, know that you use the correct shoulder!

Just wondering how much medications help to increase felt pain.
Since I'm a new diabetic plus on blood thinners just wondering how much this is going to affect my choice of calibers I shoot and if I will have to resort to shooting pop guns.

Anticipate that you will bruise more easily, Rodger. Nothing wrong with "pop guns" if you get close enough to poke something in the eye.

DrMike":21jkk989 said:
Anticipate that you will bruise more easily, Rodger. Nothing wrong with "pop guns" if you get close enough to poke something in the eye.
LOL, yeah I can see me wear a past recoil pad or shooting vest with a built in pad.
As for the pop gun I have one that is my go to gun in heavy brush where I need to poke a bullet threw a small opening. I don't believe in trying to bust threw brush with a heavy bullet as some think a brush gun is supposed to do, I look for an opening I can get a bullet threw and my 257 Roberts does that very well. :)>)

Truck driver, I have been on blood thinner ( warfarin ) for 10 years and have never had a bruise from any thing with a decent recoil pad. 338 Win., 340 Wby. for example so no problem there. Be extremely careful when using a knife and carry band aids as you will bleed a lot more than normal.

69gto":y5y7826f said:
Truck driver, I have been on blood thinner ( warfarin ) for 10 years and have never had a bruise from any thing with a decent recoil pad. 338 Win., 340 Wby. for example so no problem there. Be extremely careful when using a knife and carry band aids as you will bleed a lot more than normal.

Yes! A couple of years ago, I was on blood thinners, due to clots, and cut my hand while cleaning the deer I'd shot. I was prepared however, with bandages. Patched myself up and continued the chore. That was a pretty doggone easy, late-season hunt, and I could actually drive the Jeep to within 20 yards of the downed animal.

Guy

Back