Recoil Intolerance..what gives?

truck driver":2zbo9aao said:
Just wondering how much medications help to increase felt pain.
Since I'm a new diabetic plus on blood thinners just wondering how much this is going to affect my choice of calibers I shoot and if I will have to resort to shooting pop guns.

Hi Rodger,
I have a bleeding disorder. I’ll shoot 250:rounds of 12 gauge in a OU on the local clays course, no bruise, but do carry butterfly bandages when hunting for anything I’ll need to gut in the field Incase I get a serious cut. I suppose I should have some in my walllet too. I think the last I had to use was on my wife... lawnmower threw a rock at her hard enough the wound needed stitches...lol, medic I. ER looked at it and said that little scratch, when he removed the butterfly....he was surprised opened right up and stuff popped out...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

truck driver":2n2heole said:
Just wondering how much medications help to increase felt pain.
Since I'm a new diabetic plus on blood thinners just wondering how much this is going to affect my choice of calibers I shoot and if I will have to resort to shooting pop guns.

Hi Rodger,
I have a bleeding disorder. I’ll shoot 250:rounds of 12 gauge in a OU on the local clays course, no bruise, but do carry butterfly bandages when hunting for anything I’ll need to gut in the field Incase I get a serious cut. I suppose I should have some in my walllet too. I think the last I had to use was on my wife... lawnmower threw a rock at her hard enough the wound needed stitches...lol, medic I. ER looked at it and said that little scratch, when he removed the butterfly....he was surprised opened right up and stuff popped out...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roger,

No blood thinners here but I'm a diabetic and on a high blood pressure med that relaxes blood vessels, no bruising what so ever. Except of course my hands bruise easily now days. Not sure what the issue is but it does not take much and most times I have no idea what caused it. However, when shooting something big there is zero difference.

I think the only difference you'll notice is once things are under control and your levels start to go down you'll feel better, have more energy & feel about 15 years younger.

I feel like I have hi jacked this post with my medical problems which was not my intent and I apologize to the OP.
But thanks everyone for your responses to my question and I hope your replies have helped others to understand that yes it is a big change in your life you can still shoot what you want without major side effects.

Rodger, you bringing up health and recoil is an important topic and was a good thing to do, as many have issues that they must deal with and a thread like this might help others who are dealing with the same or similar problems.

If your rifle fits you and so many fellows dont understand this point at all or why that would make a difference in recoil. Add a heavy walnut stock to your rifle, weight will help. Shoot it less and practice shooting off hand. Have a brake installed on it. There are recoil pads and then there are recoil pads, get the best one you can. They make some pretty cool hunting vests now as well with a little extra padding. And if all else fails do what I now do. Take care of the camp and provide guidance from years of hunting and moral support.

There are worse things than not be able to shoot a large caliber rifle any longer, you could be left handed

Hey!!!! WTH.
Roger, you're fine, legitimate correlation in any event. Pulling for you to get your blood in order and be reasonably well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europe":1atg13hn said:
Rodger, you bringing up health and recoil is an important topic and was a good thing to do...

There are worse things than not be able to shoot a large caliber rifle any longer, you could be left handed

Eeee,ooooh, owwww!
Now that was a dig!!! LOL
Good one April!

Blkram":28ahs3e1 said:
Europe":28ahs3e1 said:
Rodger, you bringing up health and recoil is an important topic and was a good thing to do...

Eeee,ooooh, owwww!
Now that was a dig!!! LOL
Good one April!

A dig? How can honesty be a dig? Ambidextrous? Maybe. Sinister in chirality? Not so much. (Saw a very nice bear last evening, Gil. Too far for a good shot, however.)

Hey DrMike we had a young Black Bear wonder into Frederick City the other day and boy what an up roar that caused. DNR tried to dart it and missed so the Bear took off for safer places and went to tree in a medium strip off US15. DNR got smart and decided to let it alone for fear it would run out on a major high way and cause and accident. The Bear settled down and sometime after the sun went down it head for parts unknown.

In my opinion, this is largely due to a lack of young hunters being taught by older experienced hunters today. They rely on paper energy figures like they are the holy grail and anything that will move a block of jello is accepted as the hammer of Thor.... so it seems.
It will take time and real hunting experience in the field to teach the majority of these youngsters what we were taught by our Fathers and Grandfathers. They don't pay much attention to matching the bullet to game being hunted, just need to know "how flat it shoots" and we are seeing the market flooded with "long range" target bullets that an experienced older generation hunter knows better than to use on big game.
I am convinced that the majority of this latest generation is "softer" than the generation previous and that trend is apparent through the last 40 years or so. Recoil is definitely something that no shooter likes to contend with, but somehow, the softer generations cannot handle the learning curve for the most part. I think that is also why we are seeing handgun calibers being branded as "bear medicine" in categories that do not follow common sense logic or trusted historic fact.
In the mean time, I will watch as I have been and see what manner of "Marketing Ploy" by the guys making all the money, will put out as the latest "fad" for these new "hunters" and "shooters" of today.... A good question might be why have they thought it "OK" to bring the battle field tactic of "long range sniper killing" of War, to our hunting fields where they think its acceptable to shoot at our deer, bear and elk at distances that far exceed common sense and humane hunting standards? They like to tell us that "head shots" and "neck shots" are acceptable at 800 to 1,000 yards! We all know how many head of big game is wounded and lost to this kind of lack of respect for our game animals, but that issue is always ignored or brushed off as if it isn't happening.... It is not my intention to include "all" of the current generations into this group that I have mentioned as we all know, there are some fine young men and women being brought up today by some fine parents, its just that they appear to be in the minority!

Guy Miner":3ekp4afl said:
It's interesting, how my views on recoil change when I start thinking about shooting an 80-120 round rifle match, or shooting 300+ rounds at sage rats/other varmints in one day...

Then I want nothing to do with any rifle producing much recoil. My varmint rifle is a 204 Ruger. My match rifle is still a 308 Win, though that will likely change to one of the 6.5's when I'm done with this 308 barrel & components. Looks like my supply of 30 cal match bullets and this Krieger may expire about the same time. Maybe.

But for big game hunting... Sure. Sight it in, do some practice, then take it hunting. I can still deal with the 375 just fine, but honestly don't want to mess with anything bigger or more powerful. And I really do love using that soft-kicking 25-06 for most of my hunting.

Guy

Well said Guy. I'm in your boat. I can handle recoil but don't necessarily like it. When I shoot the bigs I shoot until tender and stop. I've free recoiled my 300 WBY it bites but manageable. I started with just a few rounds and slowly built my tolerance up. Didn't shoot a box the first time I shot it. Then my P64 Bee has a metal butt plate and I had to try that. Wasn't as bad as I thought. It's all metal and if you prepare yourself you will be okay.

I don't think you take your 375 to the range and shoot 50 rounds in a session do you Guy?

I have a 7 1/2lb. Christensen Arms in .300WM. With a PAST recoil cushion there is no problem but I've shot it without the cushion and after roughly Ten rounds your concentration level takes a hit. I've used the muzzle brake that comes with the rifle and that turns it into a pussycat but the noise level is unbelievable. I double plug my ears but I feel the muzzle blast quite noticeably on my face.

Bear, I've thought about that but for the amount of rounds I'm going to send down range (Hunting rifle, although it shoots like a target rifle) I'm better off wearing the electronic ear plugs when I hunt. Hunting clothing makes the recoil basically a non issue.

You’d change your mind if you ever used a suppressor very long. I can’t believe how much nicer it is! Especially while hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fitting stock helps a lot.
I am 5'11 with 165 lbs - compared to my buddies on the light side...
My every-day rifle is a T3 in 30.06.
Once, a friend asked me to sight his R93 in - a 308.
That beast kicked more than the 8x68 I sighted in for other friends. I am a south-paw and the stock of the R93 simply did not fit.
Same with a savage lady hunter we tested for my future ex-wife. Too light, was no fun in 308. Now she has a Mauser M12 with semiweight-barrel, all fine.
I like heavier rifles and pay attention to the stock.

My son just started rimfire and shotgun (stupid laws here in Germany - kids have to be 14 (!!!) to even shot rimfire), next year he starts with his hunting licence and first he gets my 223, then we'll see what we get him. He will be taller and heavier by then, will have learned good shooting-technique - so he will be able to use enough gun....

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

During testing of a 404 jeffery I started out low and ended up with a fairly stout load. No scope on that rifle and it probably weighed about 9 lbs as was. Not bad on the recoil. I'm good with recoil and this rifle is a hard pusher with only a respectable amount of "slap".............. Now, that last couple rounds where the 400 grain bullet was leaving a tad over 2500 fps was enough to let me know that I was shooting a man round.

After that I then shot a 340 wby and was amazed how little it kicked! :>)

Guy Miner":390xlwfe said:
I've been having a tough time helping one of my friends with his rifle woes. Here's the picture:

He's a leathery tough, 80 year old retired carpenter and active cyclist. With that kind of body. There's not much to him anymore except skin, bones and a little tough endurance-type muscle. No "padding." He is quite the cyclist though, and will go 80+ miles anytime, no problem, and frankly I can't hang on when he decides to bump up the pace. He is physically tough.

He told me that his 30-06 was kicking too much for him. Dang, I tired all sorts of stuff, let him shoot my 700 CDL's with their cushy recoil pads, in both 30-06 & 25-06, he said he couldn't tell the difference between the recoil of those two rifles and they were both too sharp. That amazed me 'cause that 25-06 is a real soft kicking rifle in my opinion.

Finally he bought a 7mm-08, and guess what? Yup, it kicks too much too! Dang. Cushy recoil pad & muzzle brake too. Well heck.

He wants another elk hunt, before hanging it all up, and I'm just not sure we're going to get to the point where his rifle doesn't hurt him. Phooey.

Oh and tough? I mentioned that? We were messing with the rifles at the range one day and he said "Hey, what's that one with the pretty wood?" Well it was my 375 H&H. "Oh, hey I'd like to try that!" :shock: So he did. And he shot it well for about three shots, then handed it back. It's not that he can't do this stuff, it just hurts him. Again though the 375 surprised me, with that "big push." No, I didn't recommend he go get a 375! :grin:

Guy
Guy-
Darn that's a tough one. You've got all the experience and skill required....but a thought... At 80, as you noted he's tough but no "padding" as it were. With my worn out shoulders, some days the 22 mag hurts. Of course when that buck stepped out this fall I didn't even feel that 12ga slug.... Maybe he's got to work on convincing his brain that hes not holding a 375 (or whatever) at the moment of truth. A .223 or similar of the correct stock weight, style and fit, shot a Lot and exclusively, until he's actually hunting will make the muscle memory and control needed. Maybe when the Elk steps out the one shot wont matter. Sorry-You've probably already got that covered. Ive been off a while.....CL

What’s Recoil? :lol:

Just joking with you all.. stock fit was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Once I started getting LOP correct on my rifle things have just gotten better and better. And the Echols Legends don’t hurt at all either.

Ya, stock fit is very important.

I've had guys complain about the recoil of a 30-30... Really? But the little, lightweight Win Model 94 just didn't fit them worth a hoot.

Still, I couldn't resist poking a little fun at 'em for whining about the 30-30 recoil...

Guy

Back