Recoil Intolerance..what gives?

SJB358":1mvezn1q said:
What’s Recoil? :lol:

Just joking with you all.. stock fit was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Once I started getting LOP correct on my rifle things have just gotten better and better. And the Echols Legends don’t hurt at all either.

My Model 70 375 has a custom stock, and I think it was built for someone a little larger than me. It was also built by someone who knows heavy-recoiling rifles. Scherz has built some serious "stopping rifles" in the past. The recoil pad is large, wide, and really spreads out the push of the rifle. The stock is shaped to minimize muzzle rise. It's mostly just a nice straight shove back.

Plus the ol' 375 isn't really known to be all that hard kicking, unless it's in a rather lightweight rifle.

I remember some years ago Remington made a run of lightweight, synthetic stocked 375's. A local gunshop had one and I got all excited about it, until I started thinking what the recoil on that thing must be like... Still, I'd bet they are great to carry on a rough hunt.

Guy

And, since I'm thinking about this... I've shot the .458 Win Mag, and the .450 Ackley... Not really a fan!

If that much power is needed, well then, it's needed. If I lived among great big things that have a habit of occasionally mashing or eating people, I'd likely have one.

But honestly, the 375 H&H is about as powerful as I feel comfortable shooting. It's fine. Anything more powerful that I've tried has been more than I cared for. I'll just have to use the 375 during the next ice-age when the wooly mammoth season opens...

Guy

CL - ya - it's up to him. He's got that 7mm-08 now, and said it still kicks too hard. We talked about muzzle brakes, suppressors, cushy recoil pads...

He'll do what he's going to do. I suspect that since he's got the 7-08 all sighted-in now, he'll just go hunt with it, without doing any more practice. Probably work out just fine. He's a canny ol' fellow who's notched a lot of tags over the years.

Guy

Guy Miner":3k2gaqkm said:
Ya, stock fit is very important.

I've had guys complain about the recoil of a 30-30... Really? But the little, lightweight Win Model 94 just didn't fit them worth a hoot.

Still, I couldn't resist poking a little fun at 'em for whining about the 30-30 recoil...

Guy

Guy, interesting you should say that. I have two Winchester M94s, one serialed at 1911 and the other 1980. A quick look says there's no difference but there was a change in the drop of the stock. Not sure when but I'd guess when they change from pre64 to the post 64 design. I guarantee you shoot them one after the other and you'd notice the difference in the kick. The only measurable difference is is the drop of the stock I can snap the 1911 gun to my shoulder and the sights are perfectly align. I had to change the sights of the 1980 gun to a receiver sight to get the same effect. Before I would have to move my head around to line up the sights.
Paul B.

Back