Reloading in 2020, anything new?

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I’ve been fortunate to not experience a shortage of powder, primers or brass I need to reload.

At this point in my reloading I have worked up several loads and have lots of ammo for each rifle that would serve well for my hunting needs for many years.

Because a lot of the standard stuff isn’t available, and I hate to come home from town empty handed, I’ve picked up some new to me powders to try.

d5ea6283bf2847c4ab2cbb8dabe63505.jpg

With the current shortage I’m curious if any of the folks have been forced to use something you normally wouldn’t pick as a first option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased some big game today. I've never reloaded yet but am working toward it. There is hardly anything out there. It has been a struggle and very frustrating. So as for your question yes I have strayed from the norm until now because I can't find anything else that I have read that works.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Big Game worked great in my 3006 with Hornady Interlocks(150’s). Piled them into one jagged hole.

I like ram shot powders... and Alliant and Hodgdon and Winchester...

I ended up buying a 8# jug of Superformance because it was actually on the shelf. Looks like it should work for the 243 with light bullets, 260 with the eldx I load, and 30-06. As long as I can find 1000 primers I should be set for a long time.

I fear that the current shortages of ammo and components may last a rather long time.

Am pretty well set, but have curtailed my shooting as well. I can go for a long time without buying anything. But... Eventually my stores of components will dry up if I keep shooting.

22's, air rifle & archery... I'll still shoot the centerfires, but at a reduced pace.

Guy

Slimfinn":2mnapqdz said:
I ended up buying a 8# jug of Superformance because it was actually on the shelf. Looks like it should work for the 243 with light bullets, 260 with the eldx I load, and 30-06. As long as I can find 1000 primers I should be set for a long time.
Been my experience with a lb of Superformance that it really wakes up the old 30-06 with a 212gr ELDX. I don’t know what it does for lighter ones. Good info in the Hornady manual, if you need any data let me know.

Don’t pass up Staball 6.5 if you see it. Seems to be all over and it seems very 4350 like from my little bit of testing. It seems to fit a lot of cartridges pretty well too.

I usually make sure when I see something on the shelves I take advantage of it before this happens.

I decided to let go of most of the Alliant powders I'm no long using to someone that needs it more than me during this shortage. I'm surprised it's still available to be honest, the Winchester 780 Supreme isn't near as popular so I still have that I don't need.

Alderman":y2c3s4lf said:
I’ve been fortunate to not experience a shortage of powder, primers or brass I need to reload.

At this point in my reloading I have worked up several loads and have lots of ammo for each rifle that would serve well for my hunting needs for many years.

Because a lot of the standard stuff isn’t available, and I hate to come home from town empty handed, I’ve picked up some new to me powders to try.

d5ea6283bf2847c4ab2cbb8dabe63505.jpg

With the current shortage I’m curious if any of the folks have been forced to use something you normally wouldn’t pick as a first option?

This C00BECCD-5A72-4FC7-BE65-F23919A16FF5.jpeg :grin:

As I have been through these shortages before, they typically do not catch me short on components. I did some trading and gifting last spring and came up with everything I could ever want. I was the recipient of several gift cards last christmas, and with those, the Christmas sales, and my veterans preference i was able to purchase a large amount of pistol and AR ammo. If I run out of reloading components I always have that as backup. Most components last for decades, some a lifetime, don't worry about having to much.

Im really only set back because I cannot find RL 15, which I use in two different 416's. I only use big game in my two 9.3x62, so I'm ok there. H4350 in 30/06, and my 275 rigby, pretty well covered there. And I have several pounds of reloader 16 for my 6 5 CM. I burned through alot of reloader 15 getting used to the 416's, and really wish I wouldn't of shot them so much now lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Got thousands upon thousands of primers, several thousand bullets and and enough powder to scare the fire department should the house catch on fire, LOL, Im set for many, many years. However, if I see Big Game I plan on buying it.

Back