Rem SPS Varmint Vs Savage 12 FV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
OK Decided on getting a 204 ruger and these are in the running.
Accuracy is my biggest concern.

Weight wise they both weigh 8.5 lbs not a walking varminter! I also have a chance to buy the savage SS laminated model (heavier) for 100 dollars more than the 12 FV.

So what would you do?

Fotis,
I went with the sps when I bought my 22-250. I got rid of the stock, junk trigger, and made it my own. That things shoots bugholes with anything I feed it! If you don't want to mess with a new stock, trigger, etc I'd go with the savage.
Steve

if you don't want to mess with a new stock, trigger,

I really do not. Would it not shoot with your factory stock?

FOTIS":313nvzpd said:
if you don't want to mess with a new stock, trigger,

I really do not. Would it not shoot with your factory stock?

Yes, it did. I did load development with the factory stock. I just don't care for plastic stocks. The xmark trigger is garbage though. I don't really care for the accutrigger all that much either, so thats up to you.

Fotis, I found a Stainless Ruger M77 Varmint model 6.5 Creedmoor at a local shop for $550 used. 26" heavy sporter barrel in a brown laminated stock. that thing must have weight 10lb.

I have an older savage 12 varmint low profile and it's a shooter, the only issue I have with it and should have sent it back to savage after I got it is that it doesn't feed properly. Sometimes a round will pop up out of the magazine when you start to close the bolt to chamber a round. The gun shoots so good I have never taken the time to have it fixed. Even with the feeding issue I would still recommend a savage over the Remington. My father has a XR100 and the savage easily out shoots it.

I would get the SPS. They also make this in LH and I've been considering one in 22-250.
I would shoot it first and see what happens.
Most likely I'd change the trigger before any other mods.
Then, shoot it some more and see if a new stock is really neccessary.

Several options to the stock;
You can bed this stock with careful prep. Cheapest and probably just as effective as a new stock.
I would go for a new wood or laminated stock as I like working with wood. Then a good bedding job.
Then if you want to spend a lot of bucks the sky's the limit in the custom field...

But in the end I doubt you'll see much different in group size a simple bedding of the factory handle to full custom.

Both are great choices, I would pick the Rem 700 though it is rare that one of the varmint models don't shoot.

If I didn't have the chance to buy the Savage I bought, I was going to go for the Rem SPS Varmint. I find with the Savage that there isn't a lot of after market options/upgrades.

There are a tonne of things you can easily do to the Remington.

However I have 2 Savages and am very happy with them. I will probably upgrade the non-accutrigger rifle in the next year or so.

Well I got the SPS. I went to the shop (Good friends of mine) and made me a deal from hell! So resistance was futile.

I have a weaver 4x16x40mm standing by for it.
Any opinions on the power of the scope guys. Is it enough?

FOTIS":v86trydv said:
Well I got the SPS. I went to the shop (Good friends of mine) and made me a deal from hell! So resistance was futile.

Guess that depends on the application you'll be using it for.

I would think a 4-16X40 would allow you to reach waaaaaay out there without any difficulty.

Osprey78":z9zv2oe0 said:
FOTIS":z9zv2oe0 said:

Guess that depends on the application you'll be using it for.

Mostly prairie dogs.

Fotis, my first varmint rifle was a Savage FV 12 in the 204 with a 26" tube & the accura trigger. It was as accurate as any rifle I have ever shot :). It just to heavy for my likely. I sold it and bought the CZ American 527 much lighter and just as accurate.
My Savage loved 39gr. Blitz Kings with 4895 under it :mrgreen: as does the CZ.
I had a 6-20 X 36 B&L 4000 Elite on top.

Blessings,
Dan

I had a 4-12x Redfield on mine for quite a while, until Joel made me a deal on a VX3 6.5-20x40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back